Was the birthday card weird?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

Anouk

Member: Rank 1
I went to a dinner party at an Italian restaurant of a work colleague who is also a friend. We were around 12 people. I didn't organize it.

After we had finished eating, I gave him a birthday card. I had not written anything really personal, just "keep on dancing" (He loves it so) and many happy returns and things like that. The thing is that nobody else brought him anything.

Was I out of line?

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Was I out of line?
Of course not! It was a kind thought, so how could that possibly be wrong?

Not sure where in the world you are or what's usual - I imagine that if a work colleague of mine had a birthday meal like that everyone invited would probably have a whip-round and buy a joint prezzie, sign a communal card, bu that clearly didn't happen for your workmate here.
Now if you'd privately arranged for a stripper to attend during the pudding, there might have been raised eyebrows and surprised comments....

Anouk

We have done that kind of thing before, giving the person who retires, has been sick... a communal postcard, but the person who organized it - it was not my birthday colleague- did not organize the birthday party that way. But she thought about a delicious chocolate cake, so I'll forgive her that!

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Was I out of line?
Anouk, anyone with the consideration to check on the appropriateness of your behavior is usually a good indicator that you have nothing to worry about. It's those who don't ask and don't care that we wonder about...... And now... dancing bunnies just for you!
:emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers: What can I say? They make me smile and I like to share anything that makes me smile! Welcome aboard!

Of course not! It was a kind thought, so how could that possibly be wrong?
This is why Carol is our "Queen of Kindness!" Anything she approves of is generally safe just on principle alone!

I'm completely sure he would have appreciated it.
I am never opposed to a stripper! Of course, I'm speaking only as any self-respecting Wacky Norwegian Woman would!

Do not double post if your post is the last one. Use the edit feature.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carol

Member: Rank 5
"Queen of Kindness!" Anything she approves of is generally safe
Oh, sweetie...
I am so going to have to live this down a bit at a time... You have never tried, e.g. coming between me and too much red wine too late on a work night, for starters. I could be quite unkind, in order to do something ill-advised and totally unsafe! BUt keep spreading those rumours - they might come in handy some day.

xxx

Anouk

Thanks for all your comments.

It just felt a little weird for me that I was the only one who gave him any present at all. It is true that I tend to be very self-conscious and I don't usually like to distinguish myself from the crowd. The birthday guy is still in speaking and laughing terms with me,so that's what matters in the end.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Having a work dinner for someone's birthday is pretty weird. I hated half the people I worked with.

The card was normal.