Review A Star is Born (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Dave Chappelle Joins “Star Is Born” Remake

Dave Chappelle will join Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper in the remake of “A Star is Born” at Warner Bros. Pictures and 22 & Green.

The story gives a fresh look at the story about a singer whose star rises as quickly as her troubled lover/mentor’s star is falling. Chappelle will play Cooper’s oldest friend, who used to perform with him at blues clubs. Andrew Dice Clay and Sam Elliott also star.

Eric Roth (“Munich”) penned the latest draft, earlier versions were done by Cooper and Will Fetters. Cooper is also directing the project and will produce alongside Jon Peters, Bill Gerber, and Basil Iwanyk. The film opens September 28th 2018.

Doctor Omega

“A Star is Born” Gets Four Extended Clips

a-star-is-born-gets-four-extended-clips-696x464.jpg

Following rave reviews in Venice, Warner Bros. Pictures is pushing forward hard on the promotion for the latest remake of “A Star is Born,” a film that has a chance to be that increasingly rare thing – both popular and a serious awards contender.

Today the studio released four extended clips (above) from the film which stars Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga, the project marking his directorial debut and her first lead role in a major film.

The tragic love story stars Cooper as seasoned musician Jackson Maine who discovers, and falls in love with, struggling artist Ally (Gaga) who has just about given up on her dream to make it big as a singer… until Jack coaxes her into the spotlight.

As her career takes off, the personal side of their relationship breaks down and Jack fights an ongoing battle with his own internal demons. Andrew Dice Clay, Dave Chappelle and Sam Elliott co-star in the film which will see Gaga performing original songs she co-wrote and recorded live. The film opens on October 5th.

Doctor Omega

“A Star Is Born” Might Get A Longer Cut

a-star-is-born-music-video-shallow-696x464.jpg

Despite coming in at a sizeable 135 minutes, actor-turned-filmmaker Bradley’s Cooper‘s acclaimed remake of “A Star Is Born” could be going even longer.

In a recent interview, the film’s director of photography Matthew Libatique spoke about how the project evolved over time, with at least five different cuts of the movie being made before it was done. He then suggests to The Film Stage that an extended cut could be on the way that would put some footage back into it:

“For me, I see an early cut, then see its evolution. Bradley was working on it – intensely working on it – to find a flow. It’s a rather long film because the music is in it. Things had to go so the music could take place; it couldn’t all exist at the same time.

We shot, probably, more movie than is in the movie because of that. I think, editorially, he really started to shave it down to the bare essence of what the love story was. And that’s really all he was doing – making sure that was his priority – and you have to make some really tough decisions. Some performances.

I think they’re actually doing a new cut, a director’s cut, and putting some stuff back in. I think there’s always the concern about length, but, for him, I think it was mostly the concern about, ‘When am I stepping outside the forward narrative of this love story, and when am I stepping outside the idea that you have one character ascending, another descending.’ I think that’s all he was doing when doing different cuts, is trying to find that soul.”

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has yet to make any comment about the possibility of another cut of the film, and Cooper has made no mention of one in interviews.