Review Aftermath: Episode 27

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
068279fdce1180bf44ac258d5fe87db7--spaceships-science-fiction.jpg

BLAKEYR3REDUBATCH-0005.jpg

Your thoughts on this episode....

The Liberator has been damaged in the battle against the alien invasion fleet of Andromeda and the crew abandons ship. Avon finds himself on the tribal planet Sarren, where he is rescued by Dayna Mellanby, daughter of Federation fugitive Hal Mellanby, who are hiding away from the Federation. They find Serverlan, now the newly-elected president of the Federation has also arrived on Sarran.

On to the next episode...

POWERPLAY

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/powerplay-episode-28.3444/

Back to the previous episode...

STAR ONE

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/star-one-episode-26.3439/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Well, I must admit, when I saw this as a kid, I kept expecting either Blake or Jenna to suddenly, finally appear as each scene ticked past.

I imagine I was frowning with mild confusion when Tarrant turned up acting all tough to Avon.

As for Dayna, I think she's great and always have! A pity her revenge plot never reached a satisfactory conclusion. I barely see the point of her having a sister in this episode though. I mean, what was the point of the whole Lauren storyline?

Servalan tempting Avon is a great scene. That Book, Liberation, says that Mellanby is a much more sinister figure than he appears and that he is hiding just how treacherous he was in the past and being economical with the truth. How these bookwriters deduce these things, I shall never know, but I always believe these analyses as it gives me excuses to watch the episodes again.

A problem that I have with the series at this point is that the crew continues to be at odds with the Federation. Why doesn't Avon just take the ship where the hell he wants to keep out of the way of all things political = which he said he always wanted to do - and drop off whoever wants to leave on some pleasure planet or other? Except for Dayna, who is out to kill Servalan, I guess.

Why not just keep away from all trouble. Why continue to be a thorn in the Federation's side at all?

I know that Servalan wants the Liberator, so there is that, I guess.

A good episode nonetheless.

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
First thing to say is that I have some sympathy with Jossette Simon regarding her attitude to Dayna, who is a pretty much one dimensional warrior type, with added personal grievances that are understandable. I just could never warm to her and Jenna is sorely missed.
As a teenager I kept expecting Blake and Jenna to turn up, it took me about half a dozen episodes to finally accept the inevitable. The destruction of the Federation really made Blake irrelevant, and what we are now going to get is fragments of the Federation, the biggest being Servalan's, fighting to wrestle back control from planets recently liberated by the regime's collapse. All very interesting and fertile environment for new adventures, so all's well so far, but Avon leading the resistance doesn't really fit in with his previously stated ambitions. Actually his fourth series actions make more sense as The Federation has expanded to the point of ' knocking on the door in a few years ' so they do then pose a threat. Not chasing up Blake is understandable from Avon's viewpoint and also it was never clear exactly where he was, Jenna did reveal where the hospital ship she was on was going but she was simply forgotten.
We have plenty of promise regarding future Avon/Servalan duels but it's not quite the same show. A bit like Star Trek classic but with only one of Kirk or Spock and one of Uhura or Nurse Chappell. As for Del Tarrant more of him next episode.
8/10

Last edited:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I'd read at the time that neither Blake or Jenna would be returning for series three so I didn't expect to see them in the series again! Glad Blake did return though.
I always thought it was a shame that we never got to see the aliens in the storyline again even if it was for the odd episode or whatever!
A good story and a great reason for Blake's disappearance although sadly only one episode (Volcano) ever had the crew of The Liberator go looking for him as such...
JB

Last edited: