Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Because there wasn't much around at the time, I have to be honest and admit that I thought it was okay at the time, but only because I didn't know better.

The Tarrant cameo was pointless. And, like the fourth series, there was an unimaginitive "let's replace everything that we have lost" mentality.

New ship, new computer, new crew member and so on....

There was, of course, supposed to be a sequel, also by Attwood, called State of Mind, that was quietly cancelled.

It was emblazoned as "The Authentic Sequel" so I swallowed that and thought... "Oh well, this is it!"

And then, years later, Paul Darrow brought his own - post Gauda Prime - trilogy out, honouring the storyline that Terry Nation had in mind for wrapping the entirety of Blake up.....

51OSb12rNHL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 22334732.jpg 91lYeMBaKzL._AC_UL320_SR204,320_.jpg

Doctor Omega

CALLY: There is a saying amongst my people. "He who trusts can never be betrayed. Only mistaken."

AVON
: Life expectancy must be fairly short amongst your people.

Doctor Omega

A NEW BOOK OUT IN EARLY, 2018

18954967_1480636488648739_8709331668961993098_o.jpg

Space Opera: Blake’s 7 – A Tragedy in Four Acts is a complete production diary of the BBC Television series Blake’s 7. Working from scripts, studio plans, production paperwork and a wealth of interviews, the plan is to put the reader firmly in the centre of the action. From the original scripting stage through to studio and location production and post-production. There are moments when more than four episodes are simultaneously in production in a single week.

SPOILERS ARE COMING! IF FOR SOME REASON YOU’VE NOT SEEN BLAKE’S 7, WATCH IT FIRST AND THEN READ FURTHER.

The entire story is told in chronological order, day-by-day whether it’s in the production office or the canteen, the make-up department or the studio itself, each day’s activities are covered in full.

‘We’ve been working on this for a little over seven months now’ says Matt West, ‘we’ve got a while still to go which involves conducting he interviews we’ve already set up. The bulk of the factual detail is covered, but the interviews will add more colour and first person perspectives. We’ve tried to interview as many people as possible who haven’t previously discussed their work on the show, not just guest actors but riggers, cameramen, scene-shifters… anyone we could track down really!’

Andrew Orton explains the book further, ‘Matt and I had written Maximum Power, a very silly book about Blake’s 7, with a few colleagues some years ago, before I then opted to write an ambitious investigation into the literary, mythological and historical themes of the television series Robin of Sherwood in Hooded Man. Space Opera is like neither of these. We became fascinated with how the BBC put Blake’s 7 together. To that end, we’re not splitting the series into episodes so we can describe their plots in detail with our favourite quotes attached. This is a day-by-day, moment-by-moment, blow-by-blow account of all aspects of this fascinating production which managed to put a group of rebel criminals into space to wage war against a galactic Federation, all from a room in Shepherd’s Bush.’

Have you ever wanted to know how the oppressive future of the Federation’s Earth dome was brought to light in BBC TV Centre? How a lead actor breaking his foot almost meant Blake never visited space station XK-72? Or how Avon could see the Scorpio flight deck when he stood over Blake’s corpse on Gauda Prime? Space Opera will answer all of these questions and more.

19023460_1480650021980719_4807093315020178806_o.png

Neither Max nor Andrew saw Blake’s 7 on its original broadcast as Matt explains: ‘I was introduced to it by the four omnibus VHS tapes released by BBC Video, and then through friends and rogue traders managed to acquire the complete run before the BBC finally released them on sell-through’. Andrew similarly discovered it through the video releases, ‘I first saw Blake’s 7 on VHS in the 1990s. It’s what you did when Doctor Who releases were down to one a month with a hundred stories still to materialise, and you had a desperate urge to watch more multi-camera drama from the BBC with John Savident or Julian Glover in it. The series is a keeper, part of the core of British telly from the 1970s that I think everyone should watch – Survivors, Secret Army, I, Claudius, Dad’s Army – and it has always felt a shame that these programmes are largely lost to an entire generation or two of the potential audience. However, Blake’s 7 has always had a strong following, and I am shamelessly one of them, caught in its web since seeing those 52 episodes when I was twelve. Frankly, I’d be a fan of any series that calls itself Blake’s 7 when Blake’s not in it and there’s not seven of them’.

Matt and Andrew have previously collaborated on Maximum Power! which was a very different kind of series guide. ‘We set out to make the most pointless series guide we could, full of mistakes and inconsistencies’ says Matt, ‘But it developed into more of an affectionate jostling of the original show, and it became a struggle not to include some genuine facts as we went. Consequently there’s always been this folder of real stuff left out of the book. It’s nice to finally find a use for it!’

As mentioned already, Blake’s 7 was a frantic production as Andrew explains, ‘By the 1970s, the BBC had the making of populist drama down pat, and was brilliant at it, with its set design departments and costume departments and special effects departments. And yet… the production of Blake’s 7 was often a chaotic duel, with hectic schedules, accidents and breakdowns, and last minute script changes always on the horizon. It takes a certain kind of planning to put the first episode of a series like this out six days after Star Wars was released, and the irony was not lost on the production team. We want to tell this tale in their voices, to discover their stories, and build the complete picture of how this remarkable series was made. A book that is nearly forty years overdue!’

18953372_1480653898646998_8450956812857211438_o.png

‘One would hope’ says Matt, ‘that by the end of this project the ultimate book will give context to some episodes and scenes and show Blake’s 7 for what it really was: Great drama but bloody hard work for all involved!’

Space Opera is scheduled for release early in 2018.

Doctor Omega

Stephen Pacey, currently appearing in a play, THE KNOWLEDGE, in London....

http://charingcrosstheatre.co.uk/theatre/the-knowledge

The_Knowledge_8_Steven_Pacey_Fabian_Frankel_Photo_Scott_Rylander_gallery.jpg

The_Knowledge_2_Steven_Pacey_James_Alexandrou_Photo_Scott_Rylander_gallery.jpg

The_Knowledge_6_Steven_Pacey_Louise_Callaghan_Photo_Scott_Rylander_gallery.jpg

I doubt that any of us can get there, but thought it would be nice to see how "Tarrant" is doing nowadays..... :emoji_alien:

And, in much younger days, it turns out that he was in an episode of WHODUNNIT, too!

Final Drive:
Steven Pacey was involved in the episode, Final Drive, playing the character, Roger Goodwin, a supercilious teenager.

Whodunnit5.jpg

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I always thought it was a shame that they never brought The Thaarn back from the third series. I recall a set of photos with the cast and the actor on the deck of The Liberator and was convinced that he would come back in another episode of series three but alas not as they were only production snaps! I think it got a bit tired in the fourth series where Servalan (or Sleer as she called herself) was in almost all the episodes and especially in Gold where the crew couldn't think of who it was that was after them!
JB

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
I always thought it was a shame that they never brought The Thaarn back from the third series. I recall a set of photos with the cast and the actor on the deck of The Liberator and was convinced that he would come back in another episode of series three but alas not as they were only production snaps! I think it got a bit tired in the fourth series where Servalan (or Sleer as she called herself) was in almost all the episodes and especially in Gold where the crew couldn't think of who it was that was after them!
JB
Hey another fan! Great.
Myself and Doctor Omega have just finished reviewing all 52 episodes, feel free to add any of your own. Love to get more views.
We're doing Star Cops at present, another good if short run show.

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
I've heard a rumour that the Dutch DVDs of Blakes 7 are better quality than the BBC versions! Any knowledge on here about this claim?
JB
I have both the original DVD set and the Dutch set.
The picture quality is about the same really. I got it just to have two copies of the series in case of mishaps. The Dutch is in one large case so a bit more convenient. The default setting is with Dutch subtitles but you can easily turn them off.
Star Cops was Chris Boucher's baby and at nine episodes only is not too time consuming to watch it. It's on youtube. To get an idea of it go on youtube and find "The Cult of Star Cops" for a twenty five minute documentary about the show.
In Cult Tv thread here Doctor Omega has put up some stills of the episodes as we go through it.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
JB
In season four of BLAKE'S 7, I always felt that the character of Sleer should have been a new and separate female antagonist from Servalan. That would at least have expanded the B7 universe slightly and given us a bit more variety. I still feel it was a missed opportunity.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I quite liked the episode Moloch but I wasn't enamoured very much with Sarcoughagus except for the ending where it appeared that Cally was sweet on Avon! The worst episodes of the series would have to be Gambit, Voice from the past and Orbit but for absolutely rubbish acting that award goes to the girl who was the real Cancer in Assassin, boy was she terrible!
JB