Fun Worlds of DC

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Peter Jackson Mulls DC Or “Rings” Return

peter-jackson-mulls-dc-or-rings-return-696x464 (1).jpg

Filmmaker Peter Jackson has been keeping quiet in the years since “The Hobbit” trilogy was released, but now he’s reportedly weighing between two quite different options for his near future work slate.

A tweet by TheOneRing.Net reports that discussions are underway with Jackson and his New Zealand crew about whether to play in the DC Universe with a superhero film, or to return to Middle-Earth to be a part of the upcoming massively budgeted Amazon TV series based on Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings” literary universe.

The obvious question is which DC property is Jackson considering? Many of the immediate ones have helmers in place, as do some in development, though one possibility is the long-rumored “Man of Steel” standalone sequel.

It has previously been reported that Jackson is considering joining Amazon’s series which is expected to cost the online retail and streaming giant somewhere in the realm of around a billion dollars once the bills are all added up.

Jackson will be returning to screens in a producing capacity later this year with the “Mortal Engines” film opening late Summer.

Doctor Omega

“Joker,” “Flash” & More DC Film News

flashpoint-directors-still-arent-signed-on-696x464.jpg

No-one seems to be quite sure where Warner Bros. Pictures’ plans for their live-action DC universe titles are going, or which are seriously going forward, but Walter Hamada (“The Conjuring”) has come in as the newly appointed DC Entertainment film production president and is reportedly said to have a real plan ready.

Hamada, who replaces the outgoing Diane Nelson and Geoff Johns, has apparently been quietly working on a ‘fix’ for the past few months regarding the chaotic DC Films slate. The new top exec is said to be: “going over the projects in development, culling certain ones, elevating others, keeping an eye on the big marquee heroes while also developing lesser-known characters that could pop big…[he] walked into a sh–show, and he’s trying to clean it up.”

For now there’s only three DC films on the schedule – “Aquaman” for Dec 2018, “Shazam” for early 2019, and “Wonder Woman 1984” which just began filming this week. Matt Reeves’ “The Batman” is also in development with the first draft of the script is now with the studio.

Also in development is the Joaquin Phoenix-led The Joker film which is expected to launch a new sub-label under the DC Films division, possibly labelled DC Black, and is said to be sporting a 1980s gangster tone and an economical $55 million budget.

Then there’s “The Flash” movie starring Ezra Miller which will now be a much lighter and more fun affair. John Francis Daly and Jonathan Goldstein helm the film which will begin production in early 2019 and will likely be the next DCEU film to go into production.

Doctor Omega

Aronofsky Briefly Talks His Old “Batman” Film

aronofsky-briefly-talks-his-old-batman-film-696x464.jpg

Before Christopher Nolan got involved with the Batman franchise, Warner Bros. Pictures was mulling what to do with its valuable franchise which was left adrift after the critical and commercial failure of “Batman and Robin”.

At the time a young and rising filmmaker named Darren Aronofsky was coming onto the scene and his name became attached to a film adaptation of the iconic Frank Miller comic “Batman: Year One”. After penning several scripts with Miller, the project never moved forward and Warners re-thought their strategy.

The result was Nolan’s “Batman Begins” in 2005 which used elements of ‘Year One’ but crafted its own origin story tale. In a recent interview with the Empire podcast, Aronofsky has briefly talked about his flirtation with the Dark Knight and how his version differed from Nolan:

“I love superhero films. I got really close on a few of them, but it just hasn’t worked out. I think Nolan’s version is exactly what the studio wanted. I think I was much more of a gritty feel is what we were going for. Eventually I got to make ‘The Fountain,’ that was the film I really wanted to make. I just chose to pursue that.”

Filmmaker Matt Reeves is currently developing his own “The Batman” film series which is expected to be the next big screen iteration of the character.

Doctor Omega

"Avengers” Scribe Talks ‘Fixing’ DC Films

justice-league-cuts-compromise-talk-696x464.jpg

In an interview that certainly won’t inflame the DC vs. Marvel rivalry at all, Kevin Smith’s Fat Man on Batman podcast spoke with “Captain America” film writers Stephen McFeely and Christopher Markus recently and the topic of the DC film universe came up.

The pair were asked by Smith and co-host Marc Bernardin about how they might approach the DC film universe and how they would ‘fix’ it. The DC films since “Man of Steel” have not been well received critically and though initially making money, they’ve also begun to wane on that front with the failure of “Justice League”. Markus answered the question and said:

“I would look at what Marvel did, out of necessity, in that they didn’t have their A-list characters, they didn’t have Spider-Man, they didn’t have the X-Men, and they went down the line and found, I mean he’s pretty fucking famous as Iron Man, but he’s, you know, he wasn’t there, and they made a really good movie out of it.

I might put Batman and Superman and everybody else, I mean, Wonder Woman is doing fine, aside for a second and go through the vast world and go ‘that guy, or that girl’ and go, ‘let’s just make a really good movie and not a universe and see what happens.’ You know, there’s a lot of spaghetti being thrown at the wall.”

The future of the DCEU is still up in the air – though hopes are high for “Aquaman,” “Shazam” and the “Wonder Woman” sequel which are all confirmed to be on the way in the next eighteen months.

Doctor Omega

37676849_288831118528603_2231947499885559808_n.png

A watershed moment?

Goodbye "DCEU"

For D.C. finally seem to have settled on their Universe as "THE WORLDS OF DC."

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
So, they finally accepted that, in trying to chase the success that Marvel had with their film universe and forcing a universe of their own by hamfistedly making overly long action films with no soul and overly stylized sequences, they messed up? Seems too little too late. They could have just allowed everything to flow naturally and made movies that fans actually wanted to see, but no, let's keep making films with actors and directors who don't give a shit about the fans, because they have their "own stories" that "need" to be told.

Doctor Omega

Henry Cavill Departs Superman Role?

johns-cavill-on-superman-bond-future-696x464.jpg

Henry Cavill’s stint as Superman has seemingly ended. THR reports that Cavill will no longer play Superman after negotiations for a cameo in “Shazam!” broke down due to scheduling conflicts. As such, Warners has reportedly decided to part ways with the actor.

Said conflicts are said to have nothing to do with his recent commitment to the Netflix series “The Witcher”. Cavill has played the role three times so far – in “Man of Steel,” “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and “Justice League”.

It’s not clear if the “Shazam!” cameo will remain and if so it will act as a launch pad for a replacement Superman actor. Neither the studio nor Cavill has made an official statement as yet, but the studio is now concentrating on its “Supergirl” film and any chance of a “Man of Steel” sequel now seems dead.

That said, one potential replacement seemingly emerged with Deadline reporting that “Black Panther” star Michael B. Jordan has been thrown up as a possible new Superman – but even if it happens it will be years down the line as the franchise is being put to rest for a while. Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa and Ezra Miller are still reportedly onboard for future installments of their respective franchises.

Update: Cavill’s agent Dany Garcia has now denied the report, saying on Twitter: “Be peaceful, the cape is still in his closet. @wbpictures has been and continues to be our partners as they evolve the DC Universe. Anticipate a WB statement later today.”

So far Warners’ only statement has been decidedly non-commital: “While no decisions have been made regarding any upcoming Superman films, we’ve always had great respect for and a great relationship with Henry Cavill, and that remains unchanged.”

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

I actually liked him in the role. I just didn't like how the role was written. Snyder repeatedly insisted on doing things his way, and fans be damned. I don't mind them injecting some pathos into Superman, or being deep in their story telling, or even getting a little dark now and then. But what we got on the big screen recently in not Superman.

Now there's rumors going around that they want Michael B. Jordan for the role. I think I'd better go see my doctor and get my blood pressure medicine prescription renewed.

Doctor Omega

DC Daily Batman Day Special w/ TITANS Exclusive!!

Welcome to DC Daily, your daily dose of news and excitement about all things DC. It’s Batman Day, so our debut episode is all about the Dark Knight! We talk about what Batman means to each of us, discuss which Batman Day giveaways we’re most excited about and take a look at a special Batman Day-themed, never-before-seen Titans clip! Plus, we round up today’s DC news, including the long-awaited launch of DC Universe, the debut of a new Funko webseries and how you can win a ride in the Batmobile. Finally, we visit none other than Batman himself, Kevin Conroy, for an emotional discussion on the legacy of Batman: The Animated Series. For even more DC Daily every weekday, be sure to subscribe to DC Universe at www.dcuniverse.com. DC Daily is a five-days-a-week webseries offering an unprecedented look inside the world of DC. Featuring a team of hosts and regular first looks and exclusives, each episode offers news, discussions, announcements, interviews and much more. Subscribe so you never miss an episode…or even better, sign up for DC Universe for extended episodes featuring exclusive panel discussions that you’ll only see there!

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

DC Universe To License Its Shows Overseas?

dc-universe-to-license-its-shows-overseas-696x464.jpg

The DC Universe subscription service officially launched on the weekend with the first original series for it, “Titans,” slated to premiere on October 12th.

Warner Bros. Digital Networks president Craig Hunegs spoke with Variety this week and confirmed the plan to release one new episode of an original series each week starting with “Titans”. Previously announced shows like “Doom Patrol,” “Swamp Thing,” “Stargirl” and animated series like “Harley Quinn” and “Young Justice: Outsiders” should provide enough new content to fill that quota – each likely to be released sequentially in the same timeslot after a season of another series ends.

Should it go well though, the plan is to increase the level to two new episodes per week by 2020, most likely keeping up the rate of new shows launched whilst renewing pre-existing series. On top of that comes the more interesting reveal – Warners is reportedly trying to land a licensing deal for “Titans” so that it will be available on a service outside of DC Universe.

The trade reports that this licensing deal would only be for outside of the United States, and would be very similar to the one done by shows such as “Star Trek: Discovery,” “American Gods,” “Riverdale,” “Black Lightning,” “Better Call Saul” and upcoming series like “Snowpiercer” and “Nightflyers” which are on Netflix, Amazon or overseas SVOD services like Sky Now TV in the UK or Stan in Australia.

Overseas licensing deals for SVOD can prove very fruitful, at times covering the entire cost of production on certain series and proving key to their chances of renewal or even being greenlit in the first place – such as with ‘Discovery’ which had a first season budget clock in at a whopping $125 million. Should it be successful with “Titans,” numerous shows from the service could follow suit.

chainsaw_metal1

Can we just look at that picture for a second? Robin looks like a bad cosplayer, Starfire looks like a hooker, Gar looks like a 90s slacker, and Raven looks like that mopey goth girl who wants to believe she's deep because she read a Wikipedia article on Sartre, but still has a boyband poster underneath her Joy Division poster because underneath, she's not really dark and brooding, she just wants to feel like she's different.

Last edited: