Fun Joss Whedon

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
joss_whedon_1.jpg

Joseph Hill "Joss" Whedon (/ˈwiːdən/; born June 23, 1964) is an American screenwriter, director, producer, comic book writer, and composer.

He is the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-founder of Bellwether Pictures, and is best known as the creator of the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003), Angel (1999–2004), Firefly (2002), Dollhouse (2009–10) and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (from 2013).

Whedon co-wrote the Pixar film Toy Story (1995), wrote and directed the Firefly film continuation Serenity (2005), co-wrote and directed the Internet mini-series Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (2008), co-wrote and produced the horror comedy The Cabin in the Woods(2012), and wrote and directed the Marvel Cinematic Universe superhero films The Avengers (2012) and its sequel Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Joss Whedon’s ex-wife alleges infidelity

'Hypocrite preaching feminist ideals': Director Joss Whedon's ex-wife accuses him of cheating

ct-joss-whedon-ex-wife-accuses-him-of-cheating-001.jpg

Joss Whedon made his name directing cult television shows such as "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and big-budget action movies, which often featured women in empowering roles. Many applauded him for being a champion of women, a feminist in an industry accused of misogyny and sexism.

That image was challenged by his ex-wife Kai Cole, who wrote an essay in a Hollywood industry blog called the Wrap Sunday accusing him of serially cheating during their 16-year marriage and calling him a "hypocrite preaching feminist ideals."

"I want to let women know that he is not who he pretends to be," Cole wrote. "I want the people who worship him to know he is human, and the organizations giving him awards for his feminist work, to think twice in the future about honoring a man who does not practice what he preaches."

Whedon and the Cole, a Los Angeles architect, finalized their divorce in 2016.

Doctor Omega

Whedon Fan Site Closes After Recent Piece

whedon-fan-site-closes-after-scathing-piece-696x464.jpg

The long-running Joss Whedon fansite, Whedonesque.com, is shutting down a day after Whedon’s ex-wife Kai Cole penned a much-talked about column this weekend at The Wrap about the director whom she labels a hypocrite for “preaching feminist ideals”.

In a final posting on the site, the editors say: “15 years is a long time and a lot of water has flowed under the bridge. But now it’s time to say goodbye. No more threads after this one, we’re closing down.”

The site has operated for fifteen years, acting as message boards for fans of Whedon’s work. They’ve also asked for donations to organizations that deal with complex PTSD which Cole was diagnosed with after Whedon revealed multiple affairs during their fifteen-year marriage.

Whedon is currently finishing re-shoots on “Justice League” after taking over for director Zack Snyder after he had to bow out following a family tragedy. He’s also developing a “Batgirl” film at Warner Bros. Pictures.

A day after Joss Whedon was criticized as a hypocrite “preaching feminist ideals” by his ex-wife, architect Kai Cole, a fan site dedicated to the director has decided to say farewell.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
As a huge fan of Whedon's I was shocked and dismayed to read about this. At one point, he apparently went so far as to make a comment about having a "need" to sleep with "powerful, needy, aggressive women"...... As I said in an earlier post on another thread, there are always 2 sides to every story but I get the impression that in this one, he did in fact break his marital vows on a regular basis. A fact I find shocking if, for no other reason than it is the opposite of respect for women to be a serial cheater to the one woman you have vowed to value above all others....

Personally, I don't put as much weight on sex (insofar as marriage is concerned) as many others do and have often said I could overlook an affair because if it's just sex, then it's just sex. But there's an enormous difference between one quick slip between the sheets and years of lying to the one person you're supposed to love, respect and trust the most. Serial cheating is devaluing and debasing to a spouse, not too mention that the message it send is that your spouse is unworthy of keeping your promises to....

I have some understanding of what it means to be devalued and even debased and understand completely the pain that comes out of a relationship where a person you're supposed to be able to trust, lean on and look to for empathy and support pulls all of those rugs out from under you one by one. So an end result of PTSD isn't hard for me to buy into.

But the fact that all of this came from a man I've admired for years as being respectful and even awed by the complex capabilities of women is more than just a little shattering. As I said, I understand that there is two sides to every story but any way I look at this one, I still come away from it shocked, more than a little rattled and hurt.

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer:

Doctor Omega

Joss Whedon Off The “Batgirl” Movie

joss-whedon-off-the-batgirl-movie-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker Joss Whedon has stepped away from his attachment to pen and direct the “Batgirl” film at Warner Bros. Pictures.

It had previously been confirmed the film would be a part of the DC Extended Universe, though the project’s fate was uncertain as the studio has been overhauling personnel in charge of their DC projects following the disappointment of “Justice League”.

Whedon, who has been developing the project for nearly a year, said in a statement:

“Batgirl is such an exciting project, and Warners/DC such collaborative and supportive partners, that it took me months to realize I really didn’t have a story. I’m grateful to Geoff and Toby and everyone who was so welcoming when I arrived, and so understanding when I… uh, is there a sexier word for ‘failed’?”

Doctor Omega

Whedon Explains His “Batgirl” Departure

whedon-explains-his-batgirl-departure-696x464.jpg

Many of Marvel Studios’ past collaborators were on hand for Monday night’s “Avengers: Infinity War,” including the director of the first two “Avengers” films – Joss Whedon. While on the purple carpet, Whedon spoke with Variety about a couple superhero projects he was working on that didn’t make it to the screen – his takes on “Wonder Woman” and “Batgirl”.

The other month came word that Whedon would be departing the “Batgirl” project which he had been attached to, at the time saying he couldn’t come up with a story for the film. He now elaborates on this, telling the trade:

“It had been a year since I had first pitched the story, and a lot happened in that year, and I felt some of the elements might not work as well and the story kinda just crumbled in my hands. There were elements that I just hadn’t mastered, that after a long time, felt like I wasn’t going to… I told people I didn’t have an idea, which isn’t the exact truth. I had an idea but it just sort of didn’t fit in the space that was left for it.”

Whedon, coming off a very public battle with his ex-wife that has played out in the media, also touched upon his many years old script for a “Wonder Woman” film. Said script leaked online and received some rather harsh criticism from fans, but Whedon defends his work saying:

“I don’t know which parts people didn’t like, but I went and reread the script after I heard there was a backlash. I think it’s great. People say that it’s not ‘woke’ enough. I think they’re not looking at the big picture. It’s easy to take one phrase out of context.”

Whedon has effectively given up on further superhero films with his next work reported to be something very original.

Doctor Omega

Joss Whedon To Produce Freeform’s “Pippa”

joss-whedon-to-produce-freeforms-pippa.jpg

Writer-producer-director Joss Whedon is set to executive produce the half-hour comedy series “Pippa Smith: Grown Up Detective” for Freeform.

Siobhan Thompson and Rebecca Drysdale created the half-hour dark comedy that follows a twenty-something who played a former kid sleuth on television as she deals with relationships, addiction, and being too old for the detecting game.

Each episode, Pippa solves a new case while unravelling a bigger mystery and attempting to navigate a messy personal life. Whedon and Drysdale are serving as executive producers alongside Drew Buckley, Jillian Vogel, and Sam Reich.

The series will join Freeform’s current slate including “Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger,” “Grown-ish,” “The Perfectionists” and “Siren”. The network recently cancelled fan-favorite series “Shadowhunters” after three seasons.