Fun Star Trek: Voyager

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Your thoughts and views on this

Have directly resulted in my "kidnapping" what was once known as a Star Trek Voyager episode called "Threshold" (1996) and later became a TV series with Brent Spiner, Carla Gugino, Peter Dinklage and any number of other gifted and enjoyable actors in 2005.

IMO (occasionally humble), we should post-with and post-haste cease discussing what was, let's face it, a bad episode of a great show in favor of discussing great episodes off what could have been a terrific show that was... yet again... cancelled by TPTB!

It was a brilliant idea with a stellar cast which combined any number of actual scientific disciplines of study to create what I can only describe as a "present-day" version of The Invaders, which ran in the late 60's (again only one season) and starred Roy Thinnes as the only man on Earth who knew alien invaders were here.

It was smart, well thought-out, well acted and gave us just enough info to make the tail end of the Baby Boomers (which would be me kiddos!) more than a little nervous! After all, we had reason to be paranoid right?!!!

In any case, how often do you get a chance to "hijack" a post in the manner in which I just did? I believe that not to have done it would have been equally criminal under whatever laws may exist regarding the protection of good television. Ergo, I protected not only one but two great shows from being dismissed out of the moment. The Invaders and Threshold.... Now, wouldn't you rather have found out about them, if you didn't know, then discuss "the slimy bug episode from Voyager?"..... I ask you!?!

You may now return to your original "programmed" thread conversation......

Enjoy yourselves and do, please, feel free to ask what it in the bajeesus just happened here?! Enquiring minds.... I would bloody well hope, would/will want to know!

:emoji_alien: :emoji_money_mouth: :emoji_confounded: :emoji_no_good: :emoji_information_desk_person: :emoji_face_palm: :emoji_kiss: :emoji_dancer: :emoji_dancers: :emoji_dancers: :emoji_dancers: :emoji_dancers: :emoji_dancers: :emoji_dancers: :emoji_dancers: :emoji_dancers: :emoji_dancers: :emoji_dancers:

Hux

Member: Rank 6
I've never had a problem with it. And I've never understood the hate.

And who doesn't love an episode where someone pulls their tongue off?

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

Voyager3.jpg

Voyager_away_team.jpg

Your thoughts on this story.....

While pursuing the trail of Maquis rebels, a newly commissioned Starfleet ship gets pulled to the far side of the galaxy.

On to the next story.....

PARALLAX.....

(Coming soon)

Last edited:

Hux

I think this is probably the best Trek pilot ever made. The ending is a bit dull with the Klingon-lite Kazon and the horrible Neelix character but the build up to it (Janeway's first command, the Maquis, the Caretaker, Tuvok being a spy, Paris being a bad boy) is all very nicely done.

I had such high hopes for the premise. It never quite delivered but it's still my favourite show.

Hux

Voyager3.jpg 4qf.jpg

Tuvok and Neelix are on an alien planet collecting examples of flora but when they attempt to beam back up to Voyager there is a malfunction with the transporter caused by the alien plant life they collected causing them to merge together as one life form, 'Tuvix'.

On to the next episode......

RESOLUTIONS.....

(Coming soon)

Back to the previous story.......

THE THAW.....

(Coming soon)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've lost count of the amount of debates I had about this one over the years. Was Tuvix truly a self-aware being or simply two conscious minds wrestling to make sense of the world? Did Janeway have the right to order his end? Was this the bleakest ending in any Trek episode?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hux

Imagine if a species of Earth dinosaurs evolved into sapient life-forms, developed advanced societies, technology and cultures. They even pioneered space travel. That race left the now barely inhabitable Earth seeking a new life in another part of the galaxy.

Their culture thrived and they became a dominant power in the Delta quadrant.

This is a really great Voyager episode and I love the premise. I also love the deliberate parallels of the bigotry experienced by those who espoused a heliocentric view of the solar system or supported natural selection over doctrine. The anger that the "distant origin" theory produces in the upper echelons of Voth society leading to Gegan having to recant his beliefs was especially fun. The whole thing is very nicely done.

Hux

Always a favourite of mine. The ship is caught in two places at the same time (with duplicate ship and crew) One of ships is being battered by the other. Janeway and Janeway discuss the issue as the Vidians close in to attack (only Janeway could get into an argument with herself).

This is the episode where Harry Kim dies (yay) but then the other ship sends its Harry Kim over to the ship to live (boo). From this point on in the show, Harry is an imposter.

7/10

Hux

He's okay but when you think of great Trek characters, he's not exactly at the front of your mind.

Plus, when they were looking to get rid of a character to bring Seven in, he was the front runner until people magazine voted him one of the sexiest people.

So Kes got the axe instead and she had a far more potential.

Gavin

VIP
Kes was quite bland at first but by the time they decided to get rid of her she'd developed quite nicely into an extremely interesting character. It's a shame they didn't keep her because by the end of the series she'd have been into old age (her people only lived 9 years?). Although they did meet others from her race that lived longer. I always wondered if the 9 year thing was artificially imposed by the caretaker who was actually retarding their progress. Given Kes' development in the series I always believed that the caretaker was the ultimate evolution of her species but this was never explored.

McQualude

Member: Rank 3
I started rewatching Voyager about a month ago, I'm into S2 now. I enjoyed it during the original run even though it had some issues. Rewatching, I realize that about 1/3 of the episodes in S1 & 2 are actually outstanding and well written television. About half the episodes overall are very good, the other half ... are filler episodes with cliche plotlines. In hindsight they really rush the Doctor's character development but he's also my favorite character in S1+2; Neelix is a close second. The Doctor fills the Trek niche of learning what it means to be "human," a role later taken over by 7 of 9. Neelix was easy to dismiss, the crew frequently does, and yet he is pivotal in solving a number of major problems and several personal crisis. His insight is always helpful and he even teaches Tuvok a thing or two about handling emotions. A few times he comes off as bigoted or unfair toward certain races and the Voyager crew end up worse off for not heeding his advice. The weird thing about Neelix (these days they would say creepy) is that his girlfriend is pre-pubescent while he is played by a 40 year old man. They do explain the Ocampa are a race that only live an average of 9 years, Kess is ~ 2 years old, but hasn't reached puberty yet when they encounter Voyager. I suppose it could be argued she was ~20 years old in human equivalent years and that her species just has late puberty -- matter of fact, lets just go with that.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I started rewatching Voyager about a month ago, I'm into S2 now. I enjoyed it during the original run even though it had some issues. Rewatching, I realize that about 1/3 of the episodes in S1 & 2 are actually outstanding and well written television. About half the episodes overall are very good, the other half ... are filler episodes with cliche plotlines. In hindsight they really rush the Doctor's character development but he's also my favorite character in S1+2; Neelix is a close second. The Doctor fills the Trek niche of learning what it means to be "human," a role later taken over by 7 of 9. Neelix was easy to dismiss, the crew frequently does, and yet he is pivotal in solving a number of major problems and several personal crisis. His insight is always helpful and he even teaches Tuvok a thing or two about handling emotions. A few times he comes off as bigoted or unfair toward certain races and the Voyager crew end up worse off for not heeding his advice. The weird thing about Neelix (these days they would say creepy) is that his girlfriend is pre-pubescent while he is played by a 40 year old man. They do explain the Ocampa are a race that only live an average of 9 years, Kess is ~ 2 years old, but hasn't reached puberty yet when they encounter Voyager. I suppose it could be argued she was ~20 years old in human equivalent years and that her species just has late puberty -- matter of fact, lets just go with that.
In real life, it turns out that Jennifer Lien - Kes - was the creepy one.