Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
MCI Commercial with TOS Cast

In May of 1993 I was on vacation in the States and one of the things we did was go on a Star Trek cruise (Seatrek 93). Among the guest stars were James Doohan and George Takei. I do not remember who of the two said it, but we fans were told of plans to do this spot and that everyone except Mr. Nimoy had already signed on for it. Since the company would do the commercial only with all of them on board, we were told to keep our fingers crossed. As you can see, things worked out in favour of the supporting cast's hope of an employment opportunity.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
That sounds pretty nasty! Why not answer with a "Hi, Jim, how have you been?" That would prove to me that Shatner isn't a very pleasant man in the slightest! He could ask Doohan how he got his number after they'd met up and had a drink or two together surely...
JB

johnnybear

He obviously had little or no interest in the people of the cast that he acted with each and every day back in 1966-69! And yet he responded to their attacks upon him as "Oh, I never realised what an ass I'd been to these people! But I was the star and I couldn't afford myself those luxuries at that time!"
It's true that he and Leonard Nimoy made the show a success back in the day but at what expense?
JB

Doctor Omega

Yes, it was from the stage where Bill was trying to leave behind this little cartoon show that he did and resume his onwards and upwards career. His co-stars were probably pretty much dismissed as "people I met" to quote Rimmer!

Trek was just a show that he did once, then forgot about. No way would he have guessed that he was shackled to them for all eternity, pretty much.

But Robin Curtis said that, as late as on Star Trek III, the attitude he gave off was "I am up here and you are down there" to all of them. And Stephen Collins said the he got some "very proprietorial" feelings off "Mister Shatner". I guess Bill was worried that Decker was literally Kirk's replacement.

He only suddenly became their best friends when he needed them to give their best for his STAR TREK V.

Doctor Omega

Actually, in his book, Walter surprisingly also takes Leonard Nimoy to task at one stage.

It was during the shooting of THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY and Leonard came in one morning, went and sat with Bill and started talking about what a weekend he had had.

The penny suddenly dropped with Walter and it dawned on him that Leonard had never spoken to him or the other supporting actors in such a casual, friendly way and that, in some ways, he knew Bill Shatner better than he did Leonard. The conversation he was having with Bill proved that this was not shyness, but a discretionary choice, concluding that Leonard - like Bill - had bought into the tier system of "I am up here and you are down there".

Matters were not helped on that film where - in the scene where Uhura and Chekov were looking through books to get a translation, Leonard was off-camera mimicking Walter's performance. The crew laughed, but Walter was very upset. He said that he found it very difficult to find his way back to a civil relationship with Leonard after that and was in a foul mood for the rest of the shooting of the film, with Walter angry and snapping at all of his co-stars.

Except De. He said that everybody loved De.

Walter, in fairness added that he and the supporting cast had "a measure" of the blame, because they never said "cut the shit Shatner", for fear that he might interfere with their future employment. But in hindsight he wishes he had confronted Bill at the time, because now he would never know if Bill would have backed down, despite Shatner reassuring him that he actually would have.

I found Walter's book to be the most intelligently written of all the Trek biographies, yet it came out late in the day and seems to be overlooked as a quality read.

I don't rate Walter as a good actor at all. I don't think he can act really, pretty much.

But his writing is really good. Maybe he should have made that his career focus more.

s-l500.gif

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Actually, in his book, Walter surprisingly also takes Leonard Nimoy to task at one stage.

It was during the shooting of THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY and Leonard came in one morning, went and sat with Bill and started talking about what a weekend he had had.

The penny suddenly dropped with Walter and it dawned on him that Leonard had never spoken to him or the other supporting actors in such a casual, friendly way and that, in some ways, he knew Bill Shatner better than he did Leonard. The conversation he was having with Bill proved that this was not shyness, but a discretionary choice, concluding that Leonard - like Bill - had bought into the tier system of "I am up here and you are down there".

Matters were not helped on that film where - in the scene where Uhura and Chekov were looking through books to get a translation, Leonard was off-camera mimicking Walter's performance. The crew laughed, but Walter was very upset. He said that he found it very difficult to find his way back to a civil relationship with Leonard after that and was in a foul mood for the rest of the shooting of the film, with Walter angry and snapping at all of his co-stars.

Except De. He said that everybody loved De.

Walter, in fairness added that he and the supporting cast had "a measure" of the blame, because they never said "cut the shit Shatner", for fear that he might interfere with their future employment. But in hindsight he wishes he had confronted Bill at the time, because now he would never know if Bill would have backed down, despite Shatner reassuring him that he actually would have.

I found Walter's book to be the most intelligently written of all the Trek biographies, yet it came out late in the day and seems to be overlooked as a quality read.

I don't rate Walter as a good actor at all. I don't think he can act really, pretty much.

But his writing is really good. Maybe he should have made that his career focus more.

View attachment 6916
I have a copy of this book, and still haven't read it. Sounds like there's some good stuff in there,

And I would agree, Walter was never a good actor, but from what I have gathered, you're not alone in thinking he should have focused on his writing. I believe I even read a quote from him stating the same sentiment.

johnnybear

It's sad when you think that Leonard Nimoy would be like that to him, despite him knowing that Shatner was already the big I AM on the set! He had a right to be annoyed and Nimoy should have known better!
JB

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
What gets me about that is that everyone championed Nimoy during production of ST:TAS. He fought to get the actors back that they could, and when they wouldn't hire Walter to voice Chekov, he was able to get them to buy a few of his scripts so he could still be a part of it. A shame that he later went the way of Shat, or maybe Walter misremembered the even.

Doctor Omega

Yes, Walter said that, while he was grateful that Leonard went to bat for George and Nichelle on the animated series - refusing to do it unless they were allowed to do the voices of their own characters - and could list numerous examples of Nimoy doing the decent thing, the impression he had was that Leonard was actually doing it out of a sense of "noblesse oblige": the duty of the high borne to do the honourable thing for the lesser folk. He ended by concluding that he, Walter, considered himself an interesting person, worth knowing and was not ungrateful, but just disappointed that he could not have spent so many years not knowing Leonard better.

The whole animated show thing does not speak particularly well of Doohan, for he was very friendly at the time with Gene Rodenberry and was going round his house to play pool etc. (He caught Rodenberry putting balls down the pockets with his hand out of the corner of his eye, even though the bets were just for a few dollars.) Doohan was happy to go along with voicing George's voice. And Majel Barrett was happy to go along with voicing Nichelle's voice. Then Leonard put a spanner in the works.

Doctor Omega

s-l1600.jpg

I am Spock Leonard Nimoy Star Trek Audiobook Full

Few actors are as inextricably associated with one role as Leonard Nimoy is with Star Trek's Mr. Spock. In 1975, when he was embarking on a post-Star Trek career, Nimoy published an autobiography with the tongue-in-cheek title I Am Not Spock. Twenty years later, despite a fruitful career as a film director (Three Men and a Baby, The Good Mother) and theatrical actor, he here reembraces his legendary half-Vulcan alter ego. Star Trek fans will find this a, well, fascinating history of the "birth" and evolution of Spock?Nimoy explains the original conception of the character and describes his own contributions to the development of Spock's persona. He also provides an insider's account of the production of the TV show and the highly successful series of Star Trek movies, and offers his insights into why the Star Trek phenomenon has maintained such a grip on our cultural imagination. Nimoy's admirers may find this fairly impersonal memoir disappointing; it touches only tangentially on the author's private life. But this is an intelligent and entertaining look at an actor's engagement with a character who "seemed to take on an existence of his own

Doctor Omega

Star Trek parody from Germany (English Sub)

Funny Star Trek parody from Germany - it finally creeps in that everyone on board is gay XD To read the subtitles, just click on the red arrow in the lower right corner. It's my first subtitled video, so don't be too harsh!