Fun The STAR WARS Franchise

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
New “Star Wars” Trilogy Won’t Be “Knights”

rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-trust-trailer-696x464.jpg

Since the announcement earlier this season that Rian Johnson is developing a whole new “Star Wars” film trilogy separated from the Skywalker story arc, fans have speculated as to what time in history and what storylines Johnson is intending to focus on.

By far the most popular idea seems to be a film take on the classic 1993 video game “Knights of the Old Republic”. However Johnson has ruled out that possibility, and suggest to Uproxx that the obvious answer isn’t so obvious:

“They love Knights of the Old Republic. I played that game when it first came out and it was like, god, I loved it. Yeah, that’s a fantastic game. And I understand it, the instinct to automatically go to something that you know and love, that you’ve already seen.

“What’s really fun is the notion of what new stuff are we gonna see, what new stories can we tell?… The possibility in a new story told over three movies, go anywhere, do anything, sky’s the limit, in Star Wars? That’s so exciting.”

The original game is set thousands of years before the formation of the Galactic Empire, and a time when the Jedi and Sith were at war.

Doctor Omega

“What’s really fun is the notion of what new stuff are we gonna see, what new stories can we tell?… The possibility in a new story told over three movies, go anywhere, do anything, sky’s the limit, in Star Wars? That’s so exciting.”

So no more blatant remakes of Episode IV: A NEW HOPE etc. then?

I will believe such creative courage when I see it.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
This is why I have a hard time respecting George as much as I once did. He created (and I do use that term somewhat loosely, since he borrowed a lot from other sources) a fantastic universe which produced three movies that inspired so many of us. He helped invent new technologies for filmmaking. and became the lead in special effects. Was the holy trilogy perfect before the Special Editions? No. But they didn't need to be. They lit my imagination, as well as the imaginations of millions of other fanboys. We saw what happened during Return of the Jedi, he worried more about pleasing kids and making toy sales than about storytelling. He then went on to make the prequels, which, while I still love them, were not what fans really wanted. We didn't want political bureaucracies and trade disputes, or chatty droid soldiers, or Jar Jar. We wanted to see Anakin and Obi-Wan, and what caused Anakin to become Vader. But George worried less about story and what fans wanted, and worried more about what he could cram visually into a 2-hour movie. They look great, but the story is really lacking. Then best thing that happened with the original trilogy was him stepping aside for other directors to helm them and make better stories, and allowing other writers to come in and make them more cohesive. That's another reason why I dig The Force Awakens so much. Sure, it really is a retread of A New Hope, but it brought the Star Wars universe back to where it needed to be.

Doctor Omega

Disney now has its hands on Fox’s key franchises including “X-Men,” “Alien,” “Predator,” “Avatar,” “Die Hard,” “Planet of the Apes,” “Kingsman” and “Fantastic Four” (which is listed in the press release). Disney now also controls the full rights to all “Star Wars” films with the previously Fox-owned 1977 original likely to go back to Disney’s Lucasfilm – meaning theatrical re-releases and a potential home video version of the original theatrical cut.

Doctor Omega

“Last Jedi” Helmer On The Lack Of A Trilogy Plan

last-jedi-helmer-on-the-lack-of-trilogy-plan-696x464.jpg

There’s been a lot of talk over the weekend about Rian Johnson’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” with some really loving it, some outright despising it, and quite a few just plain baffled by some of the decisions made. Now, in some new interviews, Johnson has cleared up some things.

First up he’s confirmed to Deadline something that many expected and had been hinted at plenty of times before. One of the main criticisms being lobbied at the film is all to do with it being the middle act of a trilogy and how it deviates from classic conventions of that storytelling structure.

Johnson tells the trade that Lucasfilm is approaching these movies with no real pre-planned story or outline in place, so he was given full freedom to do what he wanted and had no guidelines as to where they would eventually go with the next film:

“That’s what’s been really cool about the storytelling process. There is definitely the idea that we know it is a three-movie arc. We know the first film is an introduction, then the middle act is training, meaning challenging the characters. The third is where they all come together and you have to resolve everything.

But I was truly able to write this script without bases to tag, and without a big outline on the wall. That meant I could react to what I felt from The Force Awakens, and what I wanted to see. I could make this movie personal. I could also just take these characters where it felt right and most interesting to take them.

I think part of the reason the movie feels like it goes to some unexpected places with the characters is that we had that freedom. If it had all just been planned out and written down beforehand, it might have felt a little more calculated, I suppose.”

Johnson also defended the film’s criticised use of humor, telling Vanity Fair he was trying to evoke the humor from the original trilogy:

“That was something that was really, really important to me. That’s part of what I enjoy in movies. It’s part of what I enjoy in Star Wars. I think about Han and Leia and Luke wisecracking their way through the Death Star. The movies always had that sense of humor. Especially coming into the middle chapter, it has a stigma of always being darker. I knew it was going to get darker in some spots just because of what we had to do. It was really important to me, to, at the very outset, make a bold statement of, we’re going to have fun here also. Relax, you can laugh with it also, this isn’t just going to be a dirge.”

The result is director J.J. Abrams now has a much more demanding job with the next episode. Quite a few elements that he setup in the first film were either discarded or minimised by Johnson, at the same time some new ones have cropped up.

Criticised for copying & pasting A New Hope’s template in “The Force Awakens,” Johnson’s film has made it impossible for Abrams’ to borrow from “Return of the Jedi” – he now has to come up with something fresh that provides closure, makes good use of what elements he has left and satisfies a fanbase left a little divided by Johnson’s film – all within the next seventeen months. It’s not an enviable job for anyone, and probably has some even more thankful Colin Trevorrow left the job.

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” is now in cinemas.

Doctor Omega

Johnson Talks THAT “Last Jedi” Reveal

johnson-talks-that-last-jedi-reveal.jpg

The just released “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” includes plenty of revelations, twists and surprises, but there’s one element in particular that’s causing hot debate – the revelation about Rey’s lineage.

“STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI” SPOILERS AHEAD

Though only a very minor subplot point in J.J. Abrams’ “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” fans quickly fixated on the unknown figures who abandoned Rey as a child on Jakku with speculation rife regarding who it might be. The most common theories were of her being a relative of one of the other characters.

The new film shatters all that speculation as in a key scene Rey learns the painful truth about her parents as Kylo Ren reveals that she’s known the truth all along – they were nobodies, junkers who probably sold her off.

On the one hand it was a great reveal – defying expectations of an ‘Empire’ repeat with the now well-worn trope of her being a sister/daughter to an existing character. It also ties heavily into the film’s central themes of legacy and moving on from the past, and makes it clear again that strong Force users can be anyone and don’t have to come from the Skywalker bloodline.

On the other it is bound to disappoint some who’ve spent ages considering their own theories, or who find it just not a good reveal and are hoping Kylo’s character is simply lying with J.J. Abrams’ “Star Wars: Episode IX” to reveal the real truth. Johnson has now shared his thoughts on the scene with Bustle and touched upon its honesty and changes Abrams might make:

“I don’t think he [Kylo Ren] is lying in that moment – I think he is like telling what he saw and I think that Rey seems like she believes it in that moment. So for me, I wrote it as an honest revelation and as an honest kind of reaction to it, as opposed to a move in a game of chess.

Now as we know in these movies, you know the whole idea of a certain point of view comes into play and as you know I’m not involved in writing the next movie. J.J. [Abrams] and Chris [Terrio] are writing it so, I want to make it clear I’m not sure how it’s going to get resolved. For me the important part was saying it was an emotionally honest revelation, I feel like it, I don’t know, I believed it.”

Will Abrams change it? One person who knows is Disney CEO Bob Iger who revealed this week that Abrams pitched the story of “Star Wars: Episode IX” to him yesterday (December 15th).

“Star Wars: Episode IX” opens in May 2019.

Doctor Omega

maxresdefault.jpg

THE SOLO JEDI

Han Solo falls into a mysterious realm, unable to remember how he got there. An old friend must guide him through his first steps in a larger world...

If you enjoyed this short film, please show your support by giving it a 'LIKE' and subscribing for more! All characters, music and logo belong to Disney & LucasFilm Ltd. --------------------------------------------

HAN SOLO JAKE DUDMAN ( @Jake_Dudman_ )

OBI WAN KENOBI JON CULSHAW ( @jonculshaw )

WRITTEN BY JON CULSHAW JAKE DUDMAN

DIRECTED AND EDITED BY PAUL VANEZIS

PRODUCED BY JON CULSHAW

CAMERA KEATON STONE

SOUND JACK LUCAS

DUBBING ANOTHER TONGUE STUDIOS LONDON

MAKE UP AND WIGS HEATHER PITCHFORD FREDDIE STOPLER THE WIG STORE

COSTUMES THE JEDI ROBE

SHOT ON LOCATION AT BLACK PARK COUNTRY PARK BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

EFFECTS, LIGHT & MAGIC BEN GOSLING FULLER

WITH THANKS TO DISNEY LUCASFILM. Ltd

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Star Wars 1984 TV premiere intro hosted by Mark Hamill Back in 1984 when Star Wars first premiered on TV in the US, this was the intro to that event. Only Star Wars does this kind of stuff.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I saw Last Jedi the other day with my son! Apart from the fact that it was far too long, too many explosions and not enough story I thought it was..okay. Not good but okay! They don't seem to have a story as such and they keep putting the baddies in a position to see the light and grab the good side and then they shout foolie and kill off the baddie behind the baddie and then forget they've still got one film left! Oh and Chewbacca ain't Peter Mayhew anymore!!! When did that happen?
JB