chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
It must have been really tough for Doohan, Nichols, Koenig and Takei in the early seventies when fandom was still in it's infancy and nobody wanted to cast them.
True, but has it really gotten any better? How many other actors from cult shows, even today, seem to get typed because of the series they were on? As you said, a lot of it has to do with acting ability or attractiveness, as to whether or not you can break out of that mold. But it seems like it can be a blessing or a curse to be involved with a show like that.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
vegastng.jpg

Here is the official 30th anniversary panel.

It looks like Marina Sirtis took it upon herself to decline the moderator and tends to dominate the panel.

There is a slightly cringeworthy moment at 13 minutes in when a mother brings her son, "Patrick James Tiberius Kirk" up to the stage and is proud of naming him that, oblivious of the panel's appalled reaction - and at about 1 hour and 20 minutes Gates McFadden can contain herself no longer and challenges Marina's strident views on the young actors of today,

At the end of the panel, Patrick Stewart says to the audience, "Sorry if we disappointed you".

I actually enjoyed the panel as it avoids the usual "What is your favourite episode?" cliches of these events, and Marina certainly doesn't hold back about the unpleasant negotiations for the TNG movies.

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

I watched this a while back, and thought an actual fist fight was going to commence between Gates and Marina. In fact, I had some respect for Marina until I saw this. She just comes off as very unprofessional. And while she may have had a point about young actors, the way she acted toward Gates when she spoke her piece seemed rather juvenile. There had also been a panel that was just her and Michael Dorn,and I thought that she was acting that way because they're good friends, and were just having fun. From what I have read since, it sounds like this is just her, the acting like a drunk loud mouth routine.

But the rest of the panel was really good, I thought.

Doctor Omega

an actual fist fight
That would have been a heck of a memorable way to officially celebrate thirty years of the happy TNG family! :emoji_grin:

My money's actually on Gates! She has a determined look to her.

One could see that she was slowly getting worked up as Marina was stridently going on!

I feel sorry for all the Trekkies who had paid big bucks to get there and were waiting to ask why Scotty forgot James T. Kirk was dead in RELICS and instead got to hear Marina venting about a variety of things she felt passionately about. :emoji_grin:

The rest of the cast just seemed a little defeated at times and let her get on with it, I thought. Except for Gates. :emoji_alien:

chainsaw_metal1

The rest of the cast just seemed a little defeated at times and let her get on with it, I thought. Except for Gates. :emoji_alien:
Someone in the YouTube comments said this sort of thing always happens with her - the running of the mouth - and they said the looks on the cast members' faces simply said "Oh, lord, here she goes again". I'm glad Gates stood her ground on the issue, and Marina's passive aggressive "Oh, sorry, guess I was wrong" act just seemed very childish to me. Maybe she really isn't that bad, but she came off very immature in this video.

One of the best Q&A vids I have caught, Star Trek-wise, was one with LeVar Burton, Brent Spiner, and I believe Wil Wheaton. Those guys are hilarious!

Also, at this latest Vegas convention, Spiner and Burton do a Q&A, and Spiner does a running gag where he does his Patrick Stewart impression.

Doctor Omega

I can't help wishing the cameras had followed the cast as they left the stage. Either Marina and Gates kept miles apart from one another or round two kicked off! :emoji_alien:

Having said that, I do get the impression that they are an ensemble who say their pieces to one another, clear the air and move on. As Johnathan Frakes once said, working on TNG was "a very brutal room" where the cast were extremely honest with one another, if you were sensitive and had a thin skin, you weren't going to fit in.

Healthier than bearing a grudge for decades and decades to the point where the feud is all you have left that makes you important. Eh, Mister Takei? :emoji_alien:

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Marina solo....

Just don't film her......:emoji_confused:

Apparently Marina has an aversion to the internet so she told all fans to shut off their cameras because she didn't want want she said to be proliferated on the net. You can see how she dynamically changed the format of the room and her presence of command. The rest of the session was fun and lively! Too bad I couldn't record it... I know many of you would have enjoyed it.
Filmed at Phoenix Comicon 2012.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I think that there is a line that she is crossing here, from shtick and stand up rude banter to just plain, unpleasant, bossy rudeness. I think her "comedic" attitude and bossy routine (very thinly) disguises genuine unpleasantness.

She mentions, in passing, about "the guy 2 or 3 years ago that I had thrown out of the convention".

Doesn't like being filmed? I am kind of starting to wish that Paramount had never bothered filming her way back in 1987 now! :emoji_confused:

Last edited:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I've just realised, I haven't seen the latest episode of Star Trek:Discovery this week! Heavens!!! And sadly I haven't even missed it one little bit! :emoji_confused:
JB

johnnybear

Surely this new story they are doing invalidates Mirror, Mirror? And why spoil that classic for this piece of crap?
JB

johnnybear

Unless they arrive in our TOS universe after exiting the Mirror one but even that would screw up the continuity of the Mirror stories! And what a cheap shot it was to have Sarek have a beard in the other reality!
JB

Gavin

VIP
Haven't seen that episode yet, but it seems that both Enterprise and Discovery have a Starfleet bureaucracy that was determined to keep all useful information secret. Borg, Mirror Universe, Ponn Farr - all were encountered by Starfleet crews and yet were still a surprise in chronologically later series.

johnnybear

I think the Borg info was down to bad writing and people not checking with what other writers had already put down before in TNG! Plus the attitude was probably, "Hey, it's my show, I'll put in it whatever I like, okay?"! A bit like the producers of DIS are doing with their show right now!
JB