Fun Universal Monsters

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
MonstersBar640.jpg

Post here for all about the CLASSIC UNIVERSAL MONSTERS UNIVERSE, when the terror was in black and white and the continuity was a little bit shaky in these enduring feature films...

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

800.jpg

Universal have just announced today that, from this point on, their Shared Universe will be known as the DARK UNIVERSE.....

Not to be confused with DC’s Dark Universe

The announcement also revealed that Russell Crowe is going to be playing the Nick Fury of this universe, given that the organization run by his Henry Jekyll, Prodigum, is made out to be the S.H.I.E.L.D. According to the press release:

At its organizing principle, Dark Universe films are connected by a mysterious multi-national organization known as Prodigium. Led by the enigmatic and brilliant Dr. Henry Jekyll, Prodigium’s mission is to track, study and—when necessary—destroy evil embodied in the form of monsters in our world. Working outside the aegis of any government, and with practices concealed by millennia of secrecy, Prodigium protects the public from knowledge of the evil that exists just beyond the thin membrane of civilized society…and will go to any length to contain it.

Danny Elfman composed the theme for the endeavor, while Mummy director Alex Kurtzman and Fast & Furious writer Chris Morgan are being pegged as the driving creative forces behind it. Universal also cited Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation’s Christopher McQuarrie, who has a Mummy writing credit, and screenwriter David Koepp as new additions to the behind-the-scenes team.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

After something of a false start with DRACULA UNTOLD, it's now all kicking off with THE MUMMY (2017) of course...

And here is the trailer for DRACULA UNTOLD, which performed so poorly at the box office that Universal decided that it didn't count as a reboot and decided to try again with the help of Mister Cruise...

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Yep, I love them, but I have a great big soft spot for all of the SON, GHOST and team up movies afterwards too. :)

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
The Universal monster movies were a huge connection between my son and I. When he was younger, I got him watching the films, and we still love them. We used to quote Bride of Frankenstein to each other.

Doctor Omega

Yes, they are very watchable and charming films. I grew up with them too. I have zero faith in the New Monster Universe that Universal are planning. All of their previous efforts to reboot this franchise, from Van Helsing to Dracula Untold to the Wolf Man have been just somehow missed the whole point in my opinion. The originals have an atmosphere that is of their time and yet, somehow, timeless I think.

chainsaw_metal1

I like The Wolfman, oddly enough, but it's not one I can rewatch frequently. It's decent, but not great. Van Helsing I have a real soft spot for, but that might just be my man crush on Hugh Jackman coming through.

Doctor Omega

I must give the Wolfman another try. I remember at the time that it was compromised by the director walking out or being replaced during production. At least it was faithful with the name Larry Talbot etc. Van Helsing was just a bit too fast and furious for me, but again I don't think I finished it, so may have to give that one another try again.

And I don't know if you know about the following, which I only found out recently, but

"This is a short test animation by Industrial Light and Magic (ILM) for a proposed CGI "Frankenstein" movie that wasn't made. The look of the film was to based upon Universal's Classic horror films of the past and produced by Universal Studios. Ultimately this project was cancelled in favor of "Van Helsing" 2004."

chainsaw_metal1

I actually knew nothing about this. Very cool. I wish we could have seen it.

Yeah, Van Helsing is a very flawed movie, but it's stupid fun. But I like bad cinema, which is probably why I enjoy it. I honestly believe that Ed Wood was the George Lucas of his time.

Doctor Omega

This is due to be remade again shortly and this time it will form part of a new Monsters Universe Franchise, but in 2010 Universal had a go at making a new version of one of their black and white classics.

The first director quit while it was being made.

And then it flopped.

Does that mean it was rubbish?

Last edited:

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
I watched it because I like Emily Blunt and Benicio Del Toro. I remember it having moments but don't remember any of them. Rated it 3/5, which, in my rating system means YMMV.

Doctor Omega

I have to say that I barely remember it myself, so I will have to give it another watch.

The fact that I can't really remember it is a bad sign - and does not give me hope that I will find it any more memorable a second time around!

Doctor Omega

This movie was, of course, supposed to be the film that kickstarted the new Universal Monsters Universe.

It flopped.

Now the Mummy is going to be their second attempt, so Dracula Untold does not count after all - and is struck from canon before there even is a canon!

But was it all that bad?

Last edited:

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
I sort of remember Del Toro and Hopkins. And I sort of remember them making it a drama heavy horror. I have no recollection of Emily Blunt.