Review Andromeda (2000)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
splash_780-1499-720x340.jpg

Andromeda (formally titled Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda) is a Canadian/American science fiction television series, based on unused material by Gene Roddenberry, developed by Robert Hewitt Wolfe, and produced by Roddenberry's widow, Majel Barrett.[1] It starred Kevin Sorbo as High Guard Captain Dylan Hunt. The series premiered on October 2, 2000, and ended on May 13, 2005.

Andromeda was filmed in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, and produced by Tribune Entertainment and Fireworks Entertainment. It was distributed by Global TV (Fireworks' parent company) in Canada and syndicated in the United States on WGN and other channels.[2][3] It was picked up by the Sci-Fi Channel in the U.S. halfway through season four.[4] Andromeda is one of two TV series (to date) based on concepts Roddenberry had created as early as the 1960s and 1970s. The name Dylan Hunt had previously been used for the hero of two TV pilots Roddenberry had produced in the mid-1970s, Genesis II, and Planet Earth, all sharing a similar dystopian, post-apocalyptic premise.

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Have never seen this one at all.
This is the closest IMO to Blakes7 in terms of concept and almost would be B7 if the Americans remade it, i.e. terrible.
A super starship, lead by a politically motivated character leading desperados, but in a twist, his desire is to reform the Federation, or here called The Commonwealth, against a backdrop of chaos and collapse.
I bought the first series and gave it a good ten episodes before giving up.
One nice touch, the ship's computer interacted with the crew by becoming a Rimmer like hologram, but female. So like Zen in B7, the computer was a crew member, but here literally. I've seen the whole series DVD at a reasonable price, so I might be tempted to give it another go.

Doctor Omega

This is the closest IMO to Blakes7 in terms of concept and almost would be B7 if the Americans remade it, i.e. terrible.
Intriguing.

Unfortunately - at the time - I tended to lump a few of these shows together in my mind, such as FARSCAPE, BABYLON 5, LEXX, ANDROMEDA. I was also getting tired of prosthetic foreheads etc in these shows, so tended to dismiss them as copycats of STAR TREK. Narrow minded of me, I know, but it is only now, with the distance of time and owing to the fact that these shows are more or less reduced to binge-watchable boxsets that I can finally take the time to appraise each one fairly and realise their vast differences, qualities and worthiness.

chainsaw_metal1

I caught most of the first season first run, and remember it being fairly good. I mostly checked it out because Roddenberry's name was attached, and because I was a huge Hercules fan (don't judge me - who knew Sorbo would go all Kirk Cameron on us). I caught an episode or two in the second season, and it had changed quite a bit, and didn't seem quite as good. Maybe one day I'll give it another shot.

chainsaw_metal1

Unfortunately - at the time - I tended to lump a few of these shows together in my mind, such as FARSCAPE, BABYLON 5, LEXX, ANDROMEDA.
I feel like a bad nerd, but I never caught any of the other three shows you mentioned. And when I had the chance to go back and check them out, I had heard enough bad reviews of them that I dismissed them. Same with the redo on Battlestar Galactica. I know I should go back and watch it, but at this point, I watch so much other stuff that it means trying to squeeze it into an already cramped TV schedule.

michaellevenson

Babylon 5 is a masterpiece and I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.
Andromeda has a good premise but just poor realization. It's very macho, all American, lots of FX that swamp the plot, but basically an interesting concept.
There's bat like aliens called Magog, and other called Nietzscheans, a super race, or so they believe, following the works of Friedrich Nietzsche ( ho ho).
The hero Dylan Hunt is trapped in time by an event horizon at a time of difficulty for the Commonwealth, when he's rescued hundreds of years later, the Commonwealth is gone, hence his mission to restore it.
Anyway I'd only lukewarmly recommend it. For something brilliant I'd recommend, that I'm all agog with at the moment try this;
https://www.imdforums.com/threads/inside-no-9.4253/

Doctor Omega

I caught most of the first season first run, and remember it being fairly good. I mostly checked it out because Roddenberry's name was attached, and because I was a huge Hercules fan (don't judge me - who knew Sorbo would go all Kirk Cameron on us).

Hercules Actor Kevin Sorbo's Miracle Healing

Actor Kevin Sorbo was on fast forward until a health crisis forced him to pause and reevaluate life.