Review Annie (1999)

filmfan95

Member: Rank 3
(Summary taken from Wikipedia)

Annie is a 1999 American made-for-television musical-comedy-drama film from The Wonderful World of Disney, adapted from the 1977 Broadway musical of the same name by Charles Strouse, Martin Charnin, and Thomas Meehan, which in turn is based on the 1924 Little Orphan Annie comic strip by Harold Gray. The musical was previously adapted into a 1982 theatrical film.

The film was directed by Rob Marshall, written by Irene Mecchi, and produced by Walt Disney Television, Columbia TriStar Television, Storyline Entertainment, and Chris Montan Productions. Annie marks the first film collaboration between The Walt Disney Company and Columbia Pictures since Columbia distributed some of Disney's short animated Silly Symphony films from 1930 to 1932. It stars Kathy Bates, Alan Cumming, Audra McDonald, Kristin Chenoweth, Victor Garber, Andrea McArdle, and introduces Alicia Morton as the titular character.

Annie premiered on ABC November 7, 1999. The program was a smash during its initial airing, with an estimated 26.3 million viewers, making it the second-most watched Disney movie ever to air on ABC behind Cinderella (1997). This version earned two Emmy Awardsand a George Foster Peabody Award.

(My review)

This is the version of Annie that I grew up with, and is the most faithful to the original stage play. This is still my favorite movie version of the story, and even when I try to look at the adaptations objectively without letting my nostalgia blind me, this version still seems like the most well done of the three movie versions, and also has a timeless feel that I just can't forget. Plus, it has the actress for the Annie (the character) that I will always associate with the character, and I will always compare all other portrayals with her portrayal (though I will say that Lilla Crawford from the recent Broadway revival came very close).