Review Annie (2014)

filmfan95

Member: Rank 3
(Summary taken from Wikipedia)

Annie
is a 2014 American musical comedy-drama film directed by Will Gluck and produced by Village Roadshow Pictures and Will Smith's Overbrook Entertainment for Sony Pictures' Columbia Pictures. A contemporary adaptation of the 1977 Broadway musical of the same name, the film stars Quvenzhané Wallis, Jamie Foxx, Rose Byrne, Bobby Cannavale, and Cameron Diaz. The third film adaptation, following Columbia's 1982 theatrical film and Disney's 1999 television film, Annie began production in August 2013 and opened on December 19, 2014[5][6][7] to generally negative reviews, grossing $133 million against production cost of over $65 million.

Annie received two Golden Globe nominations, one for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical (for Wallis) and another for Best Original Song. Conversely, the film received two Golden Raspberry nominations and won in the category of Worst Remake. Diaz was nominated for Worst Supporting Actress.

(My review)

Upon seeing the trailer for this in late 2014, my initial reaction was "Why?" I did not see the point of making another movie of this when there were already two very good movie versions. Annie is my favorite musical, and I just did not see how this movie was going to be any good, but I decided to give it a chance.

And it turned out that I actually really enjoyed it. I thought that a lot of the changes made to the story to update it to modern times were very clever, and I quite liked seeing how they handled elements such as Miss Hannigan's guardianship of Annie and the orphans, as well as the kidnapping at the end of the film.

For flaws, I must admit that I was bummed that the original Christmastime setting was not in the film (which I thought would be in it because this film was released in December, but alas, it was not to be). Also, I'm not going to deny that this movie was made for no other reason than to be a blatant cash-grab. And for that I can understand why so many people hate this film. But it will not sway my opinion. I love this film. Annie is my favorite musical, and I love this film.