Review Arena

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
As a child back in 72 I first saw this fantastic episode of Star Trek and became terrified of The Gorn! My parents had gone out (they were allowed to back then) and I was in alone watching Trek when suddenly a silver eyed green skinned reptilian monster appeared on the screen and scared the life out of me! I sat in the chair with a pillow for protection as another scene of the monster came right up to the screen but never the less I survived the showing and went on to make sure I watched this episode every time it was shown! Eventually I taped the soundtrack of Arena in July 79 and got my first videoed recording off the television in 84! And I still love it even after forty five years later!
JB

Gavin

VIP
It seems to have been a popular episode to repeat. I remember seeing this one several times as a child, while there were many others that I didn't see until years later on video. I suspect it had something to do with networks understanding the "monster of the week" aspect of science fiction more than some of the more philosophical episodes.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
One of the first episodes that I can remember seeing. And it was also in (I think) volume 2 of the Blish adapations, the only one of Blish's books that I had for a good few years, so I was familiar with this one.

I immediately recognised when BLAKE'S 7 ripped it for a "DUEL" between Blake and Travis too! :emoji_alien:

johnnybear

It was in the second of James Blish's adaptations, although he started the story with Kirk facing The Gorn and left out most of the attack upon Cestus Three and the pursuit of the alien maurader!

JB