Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
“Avatar” Sequels To Cost Over $1 Billion

avatar-sequels-to-cost-over-a-billion-dollars-696x464.jpg

James Cameron’s four “Avatar” sequels officially began production yesterday in Manhattan Beach in Los Angeles in what will be the unprecedented feat of filming four blockbuster-budget 3D films in succession.

There is no word as to when filming will be complete on the four films, though with the dates announced it’s likely it is being done as two sets of two films.

It has also now been reported that the estimated collective budget for the four films is expected to surpass the $1 billion mark.

At present, 20th Century Fox is still on track to release the first sequel on December 18th 2020, the next one the following year, then an extended break with the last two on December 2024 and 2025.

Doctor Omega

It's going to be interesting to see if the first one flops disastrously at the box office.

What damage control could be done then?

Doctor Omega

“Avatar” Sequels Kids Cast Revealed

avatar-sequels-kids-cast-revealed-696x464.jpg

The first photo has been released of the new young cast members of the upcoming “Avatar” sequels.

EW released the photo and revealed the sequels will partly focus on the children of Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana’s characters, as well as those from another ocean-dwelling clan called the Metkayina.

The latter are lead by a Na’vi called Tonowari (Cliff Curtis). All the young actors will be playing motion-captured Na’vi characters, the sole exception being Jack Champion as Javier ‘Spider’ Socorro – a teenager born on the military base featured in the first movie (he’s the one seated in brown boots in the photo).

Producer Jon Landau tells the magazine that the point of the young cast is to bring something different:

“We never had this youthful element before, and that brings a different kind of energy to the film. They represent the future generation of Pandora and play a very significant role — not just in this movie but throughout all the movies.”

Cameron has also clarified how the shoot will work with the second and third films being shot in one block and going through post-production sequentially. Then the fourth and fifth will be shot in one block, then do post-production and release on those. The scripts for all four are done and ready.

“Avatar 2” hits cinemas on December 18th 2020.

Doctor Omega

Papyrus Font Creator Responds To SNL Sketch

votd-gosling-declares-war-on-avatar-font.jpg

https://twitter.com/lexaluthor/status/914440290500476928?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.darkhorizons.com%2Fpapyrus-font-creator-responds-to-snl-sketch%2F

Ryan Gosling was the guest host of the season premiere of “Saturday Night Live” over the weekend and the most talked about skit in the wake of the episode ties back to a common complaint about James Cameron’s “Avatar”.

That complaint? That one of the most expensive films ever made the baffling decision to use the very common and not well-regarded Papyrus font for its title treatment. Gosling’s character loses it when hears sequels are on the way.

In fact, the sketch has become such a meme that the font’s real creator, Chris Costello, has responded to the sketch – he loved it. He tells CBS News:

“I woke up this morning Sunday and my email was full. I had a lot of people telling me, ‘Did you see this ‘Saturday Night Live’ thing?’ I took a look at it and me and my wife were like cracking up, I mean we couldn’t stop laughing. It was one of the best things I’ve seen.

I designed the font when I was 23 years old. I was right out of college. I was kind of just struggling with some different life issues, I was studying the Bible, looking for God and this font came to mind, this idea of, thinking about the biblical times and Egypt and the Middle East. I just started scribbling this alphabet while I was at work and it kind of looked pretty cool. I’m a graphic designer as well, I’m an illustrator … I believe it’s a well-designed font, it’s well-thought [out].”

Production is now underway on the four follow-up “Avatar” films with the first slated to hit Christmas 2020.

Doctor Omega

I think I would rather see the fictional movie that the above trailer is for than any of the all-too-sadly real barrage of Avatar sequels that are heading our way! :emoji_confused:

If you ignore the laughter track, it comes across to me, ironically, as a scary/funny portrait of one person's unbalanced obsession over something insanely trivial - and his gradual mental disintegration!

Forget the sequels. Make this instead! :emoji_alien:

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Giovanni Ribisi Returns For “Avatar” Sequels

giovanni-ribisi-returns-for-avatar-sequels-696x464.jpg

Giovanni Ribisi is set to reprise his role of Parker Selfridge in all four of James Cameron’s upcoming “Avatar” sequels at 20th Century Fox.

In the 2009 film, Ribisi’s Selfridge is the head administrator of RDA and effectively the secondary villain of the first film – the man in charge of the Pandora expedition who pushes exploitation of the planet’s key mineral resource of unobtanium.

Production for the follow-ups officially began last month in Manhattan Beach and is said to be the most expensive shoot of its kind with an estimated collective budget expected to top $1 billion.

Cameron and Jon Landau will produce and Cameron wrote the script alongside Josh Friedman, Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver and Shane Salerno. “Avatar 2” is slated to open on December 18th 2020. Subsequent entries hit 2021, 2024 & 2025.

Doctor Omega

Cameron On “Avatar 2” Underwater Filming

cameron-on-avatar-2-underwater-filming-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker James Cameron has been teasing over the years that at least part of the “Avatar” sequels will take place underwater, allowing him to create an elaborate undersea ecosystem for the planet of Pandora.

Despite the change of environment, Cameron is still getting motion capture elements of the actors, and the director has revealed to Collider that the process of shooting underwater motion-capture is very hard:

“Well, we’re doing it. It’s never been done before and it’s very tricky because our motion capture system, like most motion capture systems, is what they call optical base, meaning that it uses markers that are photographed with hundreds of cameras.

The problem with water is not the underwater part, but the interface between the air and the water, which forms a moving mirror. That moving mirror reflects all the dots and markers, and it creates a bunch of false markers. It’s a little bit like a fighter plane dumping a bunch of chaff to confuse the radar system of a missile. It creates thousands of false targets, so we’ve had to figure out how to get around that problem, which we did.

Basically, whenever you add water to any problem, it just gets ten times harder. So, we’ve thrown a lot of horsepower, innovation, imagination and new technology at the problem, and it’s taken us about a year and a half now to work out how we’re going to do it.

We’ve done a tremendous amount of testing, and we did it successfully, for the first time, just last Tuesday [November 14th]. We actually played an entire scene underwater with our young cast. We’ve got six teenagers and one seven-year-old, and they’re all playing a scene underwater.

We’ve been training them for six months now, with how to hold their breath, and they’re all up in the two to four minute range. They’re all perfectly capable of acting underwater, very calmly while holding their breath. We’re not doing any of this on scuba. And we’re getting really good data, beautiful character motion and great facial performance capture. We’ve basically cracked the code. Now, we’re still working in our small test tank. We graduate to our big tank in January.”

Cameron also confirmed that most of the water work for the series will take place across the second and third films of the series. There will be some water elements in the fourth and fifth films, but not as extensive.

This partly explains why the second and third film will be done simultaneously before taking a break and then filming the fourth and fifth films. The first “Avatar” sequel arrives December 18th 2020.

Doctor Omega

Cameron On “Avatar 2” Delay & Possible Failure

cameron-on-avatar-2-delay-possible-failure-696x464.jpg

As part of an extensive interview with Vanity Fair, filmmaker James Cameron has offered some new details on the proposed “Avatar” sequels and made one surprise revelation.

Until now, those involved have seemed quite adamant and resolute with their plans to craft four sequels. Then a while back came word that the production was split in two with the second and third “Avatar” films being shot together first, followed by a break as they’re finished, and then the fourth and fifth films will be done.

With the second and third films now shooting, Cameron admits that the fourth and fifth films aren’t guarantees and that the box-office performance of the second and third films will determine if they’ll go forward, saying:

“Let’s face it, if Avatar 2 and 3 don’t make enough money, there’s not going to be a 4 and a 5. They’re fully encapsulated stories in and of themselves. It builds across the five films to a greater kind of meta narrative, but they’re fully formed films in their own right, unlike, say, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, where you really just had to sort of go, ‘Oh, s–t, all right, well I guess I better come back next year.’ Even though that all worked and everybody did.”

Cameron also spoke about why it has taken so long for the sequel to go into production:

“It was highly optimistic that we could start quickly until scripts are written. If there’s no scripts, there’s nothing, right? The scripts took four years. You can call that a delay, but it’s not really a delay because from the time we pushed the button to really go make the movies [until now,] we’re clicking along perfectly.

We’re doing very well because of all the time that we had to develop the system and the pipeline and all that. We weren’t wasting time, we were putting it into tech development and design. So when all the scripts were approved, everything was designed. Every character, every creature, every setting. In a funny way it was to the benefit of the film because the design team had more time to work.”

Part of the second film will be done via underwater motion capture with child actors using a form of sign language and acting underwater for several minutes at a time.

It has also been confirmed Kate Winslet will play one of the film’s sea people, a clan called the Metkayina which live on giant oceanic reefs and are ruled by Tonowari (Cliff Curtis). Speaking about her involvement in the project, he confirmed Winslet demanded that she do all her own water work and so was taught how to free dive.

The first of the “Avatar” sequels is slated to hit late 2020.

Doctor Omega

Disney now has its hands on Fox’s key franchises including “X-Men,” “Alien,” “Predator,” “Avatar,” “Die Hard,” “Planet of the Apes,” “Kingsman” and “Fantastic Four” (which is listed in the press release). Disney now also controls the full rights to all “Star Wars” films with the previously Fox-owned 1977 original likely to go back to Disney’s Lucasfilm – meaning theatrical re-releases and a potential home video version of the original theatrical cut.

Doctor Omega

Dileep Rao Returns For “Avatar” Sequels

dileep-rao-returns-for-avatar-sequels-696x464.jpg

Dileep Rao is set to reprise his role of Dr. Max Patel in James Cameron’s upcoming “Avatar” sequels at 20th Century Fox.

Rao joins returnees Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Stephen Lang, Joel David Moore, CCH Pounder and Giovanni Ribisi along with new to the franchise Kate Winslet, Oona Chaplin and Cliff Curtis.

Filming began on the second and third “Avatar” films in September, while plot details remain under wraps. Cameron and Jon Landau are producing the films which are aiming for an Xmas 2020 and Xmas 2021 release.

Doctor Omega

“Avatar” Sequels To Be An Epic Family Saga

avatar-sequels-to-be-an-epic-family-saga-696x464.jpg

James Cameron’s new documentary series “Story of Science Fiction” is slated to premiere next week on April 30th on AMC, and the filmmaker talked to the press the other day about the show and gave an update on the upcoming “Avatar” sequels currently in production.

Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Joel David Moore, Dileep Rao, Stephen Lang, Matt Gerald and Sigourney Weaver all return while Kate Winslet, Cliff Curtis and Oona Chaplin are joining the cast of the second and third films which are being shot back to back and began filming back in September.

We also know there’s several key young cast members in the sequel, which includes the Sully family and children from the Metkayina Na’vi clan who live near ocean reefs along with Jack Champion as Javier ‘Spider’ Socorro, a human teen born at the military complex seen in the first film.

Cameron says the sequel focus will be much more like a family drama and is aware that focus on parenting could either make the franchise sink or swim. He tells Coming Soon:

“So it’s The Godfather. Obviously a very different genre [and] a very different story, but I got intrigued by that idea, so that’s really what it is. It’s a generational family saga very different than the first film.

Now, it’s the same type of settings and the same sort of respect for that shock of the new that we want to show you things that not only that you haven’t seen, but you haven’t imagined. It’s a continuation of the same characters, but what happens when warriors, willing to go on suicide charges and leap off cliffs on to the backs of big orange Toruks, grow up and have their own kids.

Now the kids are the change makers. It’s interesting. Everyone is either a parent or they had parents at the very least. If you look at the big successful franchises now they are pretty much uninterested in it. So this could be the seeds of utter damnation and doom for the project or could be the thing that makes it stand apart and continue to be unique.

Nobody knows until you make the movie and put it out. Anyone who thinks this is easy or they are just printing money over there at the Avatar studio, it doesn’t work that way.”

As part of the same interview Cameron says he’s tired of films about “hyper-gonadal males without families doing death-defying things for two hours and wrecking cities in the process,” and says the new “Terminator” movie he’s producing will offer a “much more nuanced perspective now I think” in regards to its message of the dangers of artificial intelligence and technology.

“Avatar 2” is slated to open December 18th 2020, followed by “Avatar 3” on December 17th 2021.

Doctor Omega

Saldana Wraps “Avatar” Sequel Filming

saldana-wraps-avatar-sequel-filming.jpg

While the talk of “Avatar” sequels has been around for years, the films are now starting to feel more and more like a real thing as the first two sequels race towards a release in a bit over two years.

In a video presentation at CineEurope this week, James Cameron revealed that actress Zoe Saldana has already completed her performance capture work for the first two “Avatar” sequels. The production is reportedly on around day 130 of filming the first two sequels which are being tackled simultaneously.

Cameron has also completed scripts and designs for a fourth and fifth film, but those movies will only go into active production if parts two and three succeed. “Avatar 2” and “Avatar 3” are scheduled for release in 2020 and 2021.

Doctor Omega

Sigourney Talks “Alien 5,” “Avatar” Sequels

sigourney-talks-alien-5-avatar-sequels-696x464.jpg

Sigourney Weaver needs no introduction, the multiple Oscar nominee turned up at the Rome Film Festival the other day to discuss her wide-ranging career.

At the same time though she sat down with THR to talk about the industry reaction to the #MeToo movement and offer brief updates on the “Avatar” sequel filming and the abandoned fifth “Alien” film that helmer Neill Blomkamp was developing.

Speaking of that direct follow-up to “Aliens” which ignores the other sequels, she was asked if we’ll ever see it to which she says unlikely but did confirm it has one key fan:

“We almost started to do it when I was working with James Cameron. But by the time we were put off by Fox, Neill had gotten so many jobs that we’d have to wait probably. I’m busy doing Avatar 4 and 5. I love working with Neill and I think he’d do a terrific job, and James Cameron really thinks it’s a great idea, so you never know. Right now, I think Neill’s got like three projects going at once.”

She’s currently well into production on numerous “Avatar” sequels with Cameron. At last report the second and third film are being shot back-to-back, the crew takes a break, and then everyone comes back to shoot the fourth and fifth back-to-back. Weaver was asked if her role is different for each of the four film sequels to which she said:

“No, it’s a continuous character. We just finished shooting two and three. We shot it in LA and James has announced publicly that there’s a lot of underwater work, so we learned how to free dive and we did many scenes underwater which was challenging and kind of cool.

I’m so lucky because I always grew up near the water and I’m married to someone from Hawaii and I had learned to swim. Also, you have the best safety divers in the world. The one scary thing is sometimes you have to be weighted down to be on the bottom. Luckily, I would have a safety diver on each arm to get me back to the surface. I was grateful for that, because otherwise I would still be there.

I think that because the water becomes another world. The scripts are amazing, and in the first one, which I love, I think he hadn’t set up a lot of things. In this one he got to tell this very personal story. They’re amazing. There’s a message to not sacrifice everything for greed and conquest. It will take all four movies to really make that message loud and clear for the whole world.

She also confirmed her character in these has no real relationship to her human character in the first film. She adds that the sequels play out as “kind of one story. They’re all independent. It works without 4 and 5, but it really is a big saga.”

“Avatar 2” is currently slated for a December 18th 2020 release.

Doctor Omega

“Avatar” Sequels To Be More ‘Emotional’

avatar-sequels-to-be-more-emotional-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker James Cameron has offered more details on the several “Avatar” sequels currently in the works as part of a lengthy podcast interview with Empire magazine.

The second and third film in the series have been shot with post-production now underway on them. Discussing the filming, Cameron says the franchise will be an “emotional rollercoaster” with the characters set to go dark places with Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) and his marriage to Neytiri (Zoe Saldana) pushed to the breaking point due to a dispute which will be shot from a different perspective than most films:

“There’s a three-page argument scene between Jake and Neytiri, a marital dispute, very, very critical to the storyline. I wound up shooting it all from the point of view of the eight-year-old hiding under the structure and peeking in.

Having gone through the experience with [Sam Worthington] on Avatar. I now knew how to write the Jake character going forward across the emotional rollercoaster of the next four movies. It’s been tough on him. He’s done two pictures back to back now, because we did 2 and 3 together. He had to go to some dark places.”

Cameron also revealed that both Chris Evans and Channing Tatum were up for the Jake Sully role in the original 2009 film before Worthington ultimately nabbed it, and it was all due to his delivery of a rousing speech:

“Chris Evans, and Sam, and Channing Tatum. That was my choice. I really liked Channing’s appeal. I liked Chris’ appeal. They were both great guys. But Sam had a quality of voice and a quality of intensity.

Everybody did about the same on all the material through the script, except for the final speech where he stands up and says, ‘This is our land, ride now, go as fast as the wind can carry you.’ That whole thing. I would have followed him into battle. And I wouldn’t have followed the other guys. They’ve since gone onto fantastic careers and all that, but Sam was ready. He was ready.”

Stephen Lang, Giovanni Ribisi, Sigourney Weaver, Joel David Moore, Kate Winslet, Cliff Curtis and Oona Chaplin also star in the four films opening December 18th 2020, December 17th 2021, December 20th 2024 and December 19th 2025.