News Batwoman (2019)

Doctor Omega

afgsga.jpg

Your thoughts on this show.....

In the series, Kate Kane, armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city's criminal resurgence. But don't call her a hero yet. In a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham's symbol of hope

Doctor Omega

“Batwoman” Ordered To Pilot By The CW

batwoman-ordered-to-pilot-by-the-cw-696x464.jpg

Surprising in that it hasn’t happened already, The CW has given a pilot order for a new Batwoman series starring “Orange Is the New Black” alum Ruby Rose.

The latest iteration of Batwoman, aka Kate Kane, is described as an out lesbian and highly trained fighter who has no trouble speaking her mind. She’s pressed into service as a crime-fighter as mayhem overruns Gotham, although Kane has to ‘overcome her own demons’ before she can save the city.

Rose made her debut as the character in last month’s DC Crossover episodes. “Vampire Diaries” alum Caroline Dries penned the story for those episodes and will write the pilot, while David Nutter will helm it and Greg Berlanti will executive produce.

Doctor Omega

“Batwoman” Series Sets Three Key Roles

The upcoming Ruby Rose-led “Batwoman” pilot for The CW, based on the DC Comics title, has begun casting some of its key supporting roles reports Deadline.

Rose plays Kate Kane who soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city’s criminal resurgence. She must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham’s symbol of hope.

Joining her will be Meagan Tandy (“Teen Wolf”) who will play high-level private security agent Sophie Moore; Camrus Johnson (“Luke Cage”) as Luke Fox, son of Wayne Industries’ R&D director Lucius Fox and essentially protector and maintenance guy for all of Batman’s leftover tech; and Nicole Kang (“You”) as Mary Hamilton, Kate’s compassionate if talkative step-sister.

The pilot hails from Greg Berlanti’s Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television and follows on from Rose’s debut in the role during last year’s CW-DC crossover event. Caroline Dries penned the pilot and David Nutter helms.

Should it go to series, “Batwoman” would mark the first gay lead character, male or female, of a live-action superhero series.

Doctor Omega

Don’t Expect Batman On “Batwoman”

The CW’s “Batwoman” seems one of the most likely shows to go to series for this Fall, and it appears like it will treat Batman the same way “Titans” does – name drop a lot and tease a bit but never truly show.

Sarah Schechter, an executive producer for the series, spoke with The Wrap recently and the article indicates that Batman himself “remains off-limits for the foreseeable future”.

The character will be name-checked as his abandonment of Gotham City three years prior to events starting is a big element of the show. Schechter says:

“It’s a post-Batman Gotham… Batman is missing. What does that do when your heroes are gone and who steps into that void? What’s great about the restriction of just focusing on Batwoman is that we have to build a world for our character. It’s a character that people don’t really know… The Gotham we talk about [in “Batwoman”] kind of reminds me of Johannesburg during apartheid. There’s a real difference between those that have and those that don’t.”

Schecter also says that should it go to series, she hopes it will be a part of the next crossover event based on the “Crisis on Infinite Earths” storyline which is due to air in the Fall.

ant-mac

Administrator
Staff member
Batwoman's Ruby Rose will sadly NOT be at Comic-Con this weekend

Along with the show runners of GAME OF THRONES and cast and crew from DOCTOR WHO.

Basically, everyone not wishing to face a fan backlash for what they've done to beloved fictional characters and franchises are diving for cover.

Perhaps they've finally woke up to the reality of their situation... :emoji_smirk:

Doctor Omega

I do wonder if Jodie will do a Chris Eccleston and turn her back on WHO once her tenure ends. i.e.: no convention appearances, ever?

Coz I think there will always be the risk of some drunken soul blurting out: "You ruined Doctor Who!" - or something like that - at her.

Not nice, but I think this is a valid concern, given the definite - and very real - division in the fan bases of shows and films that have been affected by this trend.

"I love you guys and will make it up to you" says Batwoman - but I think the show will be cancelled and already forgotten before she has a chance to! :emoji_grin:

It's odd how these rebrandings of shows and characters have to include such a provocative anti-male element. From Jodie's glass ceiling teaser to the cringeworthy moments in both the above BATWOMAN trailers, such as the batsuit being perfect "when it fits a woman".

It's uncalled for - and frankly is reverse sexism. Surely mutual respect between the sexes is what is called for and where we should be heading?

Not the vilifying of one sex by the other?

Last edited:

ant-mac

Administrator
Staff member
I do wonder if Jodie will do a Chris Eccleston and turn her back on WHO once her tenure ends. i.e.: no convention appearances, ever?

Coz I think there will always be the risk of some drunken soul blurting out: "You ruined Doctor Who!" - or something like that - at her.

Not nice, but I think this is a valid concern, given the definite - and very real - division in the fan bases of shows and films that have been affected by this trend.

"I love you guys and will make it up to you" says Batwoman - but I think the show will be cancelled and already forgotten before she has a chance to! :emoji_grin:

It's odd how these rebrandings of shows and characters have to include such a provocative anti-male element. From Jodie's glass ceiling teaser to the cringeworthy moments in both the above BATWOMAN trailers, such as the batsuit being perfect "when it fits a woman".

It's uncalled for - and frankly is reverse sexism. Surely mutual respect between the sexes is what is called for and where we should be heading?

Not the vilifying of one sex by the other?
Reverse racism and reverse sexism is just racism and sexism.

However, if you want a profitable and successful franchise, try to avoid insulting and pissing off half of your potential fan base.

Although as most of these franchises appear to have traditionally been comprised of more males than females, it probably works out to more than half.