Review Bergerac (1981)

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Must admit to having a soft spot for this show. A British series set in a British territory where it actually has sunshine! Wow
John Nettles was terrific as the Jersey cop battling all these criminal masterminds on the 45 square mile island of Jersey. Nine series were made, Louise Jameson co starring in series 4-7, and a high standard of writing reached for the most part. Amazing plethora of acting talent appeared. The best episodes for me were the Ice Maiden eps with Liza Goddard as jewel thief Phillipa Vale. Also episode" Burnt" is a bit special.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I always kinda preferred SHOESTRING and was sad when it stopped. I got used to BERGERAC though.

I remember hearing that the Doctor Who producer John Nathan Turner was offered this by the BBC during the Sylvester McCoy era and he threw the offer back in their faces, saying that he would only do it if he could fire John Nettles and set it somewhere else other than Jersey.

He realised his mistake after, when joblessness loomed and he said to Andrew Cartmel, the script editor, that they should have taken the offer, kept John Nettles, gone to Jersey and done Bergerac for a while.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I always kinda preferred SHOESTRING and was sad when it stopped. I got used to BERGERAC though.

I remember hearing that the Doctor Who producer John Nathan Turner was offered this by the BBC during the Sylvester McCoy era and he threw the offer back in their faces, saying that he would only do it if he could fire John Nettles and set it somewhere else other than Jersey.

He realised his mistake after, when joblessness loomed and he said to Andrew Cartmel, the script editor, that they should have taken the offer, kept John Nettles, gone to Jersey and done Bergerac for a while.
I've always liked John Nettles, although I only became familiar with him after he left Jersey and moved to Midsomer. :emoji_wink:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Bergerac

British police drama “Bergerac” is set to score a contemporary reboot by Paramount Network International with Gub Neal (“The Fall,” “Prime Suspect”) serving as executive producer. Set on the island of Jersey, the original starred John Nettles and ran for nine seasons as it followed the investigations of maverick detective Jim Bergerac.