Review Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Leto, Robbie Set For “Joker & Harley Quinn”

leto-robbie-set-for-joker-696x464.jpg

“Crazy Stupid Love” & “Focus” directors Glenn Ficarra and John Requa are in final negotiations to write and direct an untitled film about Batman villains The Joker and Harley Quinn.

Unlike Matt Reeves’ “The Batman” and Todd Phillips’ upcoming The Joker origin film, this one WILL be a part of the DCEU. Jared Leto and Margot Robbie are due to reprise their roles from “Suicide Squad” as the pair of villains in what’s dubbed a ‘criminal love story’.

The plan is for this feature to go forward after the studio makes a sequel to “Suicide Squad”. That film is on the fast track and out to directors, but this is also moving fast and the studio has to deal with the issue of the actors holding agreements.

Doctor Omega

Cathy Yan In Talks To Helm Harley Quinn Film

cathy-yan-in-talks-to-helm-harley-quinn-film-696x464.jpg

Former Wall Street Journal reporter turned filmmaker Cathy Yan (“Dead Pigs”) has begun talks to join the DC universe.

Heat Vision reports Yan is being lined up to direct a currently untitled film at Warner Bros. Pictures featuring Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn character following her first appearance in “Suicide Squad”.

The film is expected to be based on the “Birds of Prey” comic book property, a female-led team that debuted in 1995 and included characters such as Barbara Gordon/Batgirl, Poison Ivy, Catwoman and Katana.

Christina Hodson, who was hired to work on the “Batgirl” film last week, is penning the script.

Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega

Christina Hodson’s script impressed the studio greatly, so much so the Quinn movie has been fast-tracked with filming to take place at the end of the year. Another reason is the project allows the introduction of Batgirl in a supporting role ahead of her getting her own solo film.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I have yet to see it.

Not avoiding it... consciously.

Maybe subconsciously though! :emoji_alien:
I haven't seen the entire film yet, either.

However, from all of the trailers, reviews, clips and so forth that are currently available on YouTube...

Let's just say there won't be much of it left for me to see by the time it finally comes to TV.

Doctor Omega

I haven't seen the entire film yet, either.

However, from all of the trailers, reviews, clips and so forth that are currently available on YouTube...

Let's just say there won't be much of it left for me to see by the time it finally comes to TV.

Yes, that's a real peril with any new films now.

Difficult to avoid seeing the whole film in confetti-like bits!

Doctor Omega

Harley Quinn Is “An R-Rated Girl Gang Film”

harley-quinn-is-an-r-rated-girl-gang-film-696x464.jpg

The casting of Margot Robbie as DC Comics character Harley Quinn in “Suicide Squad” was widely well received and, despite the film itself being so dire, Robbie’s take was seen as one of the highlights.

We know that several films involving the return of Robbie as the character have been in development, and recently it seemed all but one of them had fallen by the wayside as a ‘solo’ Harley Quinn film based on the “Birds of Prey” comics came to the fore at Warner Bros. Pictures.

With Cathy Yan set to direct and Christina Hodson to write that project, and with both the “Suicide Squad” sequel and David Ayer’s “Gotham City Sirens” stalled, the path forward clear. Robbie sat down with Collider this week and was asked how her vision for the film lined up with Yan’s. She says it has remained the same since she first pitched the project back in 2015:

“I pitched the idea of an R-rated girl gang film including Harley, because I was like, ‘Harley needs friends.’ Harley loves interacting with people, so don’t ever make her do a standalone film. She’s got to be with other people, it should be a girl gang. I wasn’t seeing enough girl gangs on screen, especially in the action space. So that was always a big part of it.

And then of course having a female director to tell that story. And giving a female director the chance to do big budget stuff. They always get ‘here’s the tiny little film’… I was like, ‘I love action. I love action films. I’m a girl. What, are we meant to only like a specific thing?’ So it was hugely important to find a female director for this, if possible. But at the end of the day – male, female – the best director gets the job and Cathy was the best director.”

Separately she spoke with Moviefone as well this week and confirmed that she wasn’t involved with any of the other potential Harley projects which were studio’s idea:

“I want to make a girl gang, R-rated film that Harley is a part of and we started working on it from there. Meanwhile, over the course of the next few years, the studio was exploring other Harley Quinn spin-offs. But I was not a part of those versions, I was always focused on this one with Christina.

I know that they were exploring ‘Gotham City Sirens’ with David Ayer, and I know they were exploring a Joker and Harley Quinn movie, and they were exploring doing I don’t know what else. I wasn’t a part of those. I was focusing on this. I kept presenting it to the studio until they felt it was at a point where they were ready to do it. And now we’re all in.”

The new film is also expected to serve as the introduction of Batgirl in a supporting role ahead of her getting her own solo film. It’s not known when the movie will go into production at this point.

Doctor Omega

Leto’s Joker Gets A Stand Alone Movie

letos-joker-gets-a-stand-alone-movie-696x464.jpg

Jared Leto’s take on The Joker in “Suicide Squad” is set to get his own standalone movie reports Variety.

Leto is set to star and executive produce the currently untitled Warner Brothers film, one of at least two movies spun off from “Suicide Squad” with the other being Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn-led “Birds of Prey”-style film

Last fall came word that the studio was developing a Joker origin tale from filmmaker Todd Phillips (“The Hangover”) and producer Martin Scorsese with the studio emphasising at the time it was for a different Joker and Leto’s take would still live on elsewhere.

Joaquin Phoenix is slated to play The Joker in that film which falls under a different ‘banner’ to the DCEU films. Leto and the studio will now search for a writer so it’s unclear when the project will go forward, though likely after “Suicide Squad 2” which goes into production next year.

Doctor Omega

agdfg.jpg

Your thoughts on this announced movie.....

After splitting up with The Joker, Harley Quinn and three other female superheroes - Black Canary, Huntress and Renee Montoya - come together to save the life of a little girl (Cassandra Cain) from an evil crime lord.

Doctor Omega

Scribe Talks “Joker & Harley Quinn” Tone

scribe-talks-joker-harley-quinn-tone-696x464.jpg

For much of this year, four films have been in development starring Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn character from the DC Comics adaptation “Suicide Squad”. They include the direct sequel to that, a “Gotham City Sirens” project that was to be helmed by David Ayer, a Joker and Harley Quinn ‘Mad Love’ style film from writer/directors Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, and Cathy Yan’s “Birds of Prey” movie.

“Birds of Prey” moved to the fore earlier this year which saw all three other projects to be delayed at least by months, if not indefinitely. Even so, “Joker and Harley Quinn” film co-writer Glenn Ficarra tells Metro that despite the DC universe’s uncertain big screen future right now, he hopes they’ll still get to make it:

“It is great. The whole thing starts with Harley kidnapping Dr Phil. Played by Dr Phil hopefully. Because her and the Joker are having problems with their relationship. We had so much fun, I don’t know if we have had more fun writing a script.

It was sort of like, we wrote Bad Santa a couple of years ago, and it was that sensibility mixed with our This Is Us sensibility. We kind of meshed them together. We were doing a relationship movie but with the sensibility of a Bad Santa, f—ed up, mentally deranged people. It was a lot of fun.

I don’t know where it is on the queue of DC movies. We handed the script in and everybody loved it. But I don’t know when they are going to do it. Because I know that they want to do Birds Of Prey and they want to do Todd [Phillips]’s Joker film first. Maybe if Birds Of Prey goes well ours will be next.”

Warners has DC film titles like “Aquaman,” “Shazam” and “Wonder Woman 1984” on the way.

Doctor Omega

McGregor, Copley Up For “Birds of Prey”

gdaegr.jpg

Ewan McGregor and Sharlto Copley are reportedly both in the mix to play the villain Roman Sionis (aka Black Mask) in the upcoming “Birds of Prey” film at Warner Bros. Pictures.

Variety’s Justin Kroll, who broke the Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Huntress and Jurnee Smollett-Bell as Black Canary casting last week ahead of its confirmation earlier today, says on Twitter that both actors are on a wishlist for the role after Sam Rockwell was offered and passed on the part.

The film reportedly seeks someone with ‘loveable rogue qualities’ for the role opposite Winstead, Smollett-Bell and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. The key roles of Renee Montoya and Cassandra Cain have yet to be cast. Cathy Yan helms the film which is slated to open on February 7th 2020.

The report comes as there are other minor updates regarding two DC movies in development. Matt Reeves’ “The Batman” is currently undergoing script revisions and is aiming for a Summer 2019 production start according to a recent story, while Will Smith tells Heroic Hollywood he’s very open to reprising his “Suicide Squad” role of Deadshot in a future film.

Doctor Omega

Winstead On Her “Birds of Prey” Casting

winstead-on-her-birds-of-prey-casting-696x464.jpg

Earlier this week it was confirmed that actress Mary Elizabeth Winstead had signed on to play Huntress in the upcoming “Birds of Prey” movie at Warner Bros. Pictures and DC Films.

The film sees Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie) leading a team of DC female characters, including Huntress (Winstead), Black Canary (Jurnee Smollett-Bell) and Renee Montoya, to rescue the young Cassandra Cain who has been kidnapped by villain Black Mask in Gotham City. A report over the weekend suggests the film will include reference to Batman having been absent for years.

Winstead has now gone on the record about her casting in the Cathy Yan-directed film, telling The Wrap: “I can’t say that I was a huge comic book reader, but when I met with Cathy Yan, who’s directing the film, and learned kind of the back story of the character, I was really interested. It’s a really strong, kind of emotional place to start from for a superhero character. I won’t go into too much detail now, but I think it’s interesting and an opportunity to do something cool with this kind of character.”

Winstead wouldn’t confirm the Batman rumor though. The report comes as there’s been other DC Film movement in the last few days with one rumor suggesting Pedro Pascal will play Maxwell Lord in “Wonder Woman 1984,” while more set video of Joaquin Phoenix filming “Joker” is up on YouTube.

“Birds of Prey” is set to open in cinemas on February 7th 2020.

Doctor Omega

The “Birds of Prey” film has just seen “Venom” and “A Star is Born” cinematographer Matthew Libatique sign on for the all girl team-up film starring Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn character.
Libatique tells GMA News Online that he’s currently prepping for the film ahead of its shoot early next year and says that: “it’s probably going to have a different title” than the “Birds of Prey” title currently attached.

Robbie is expected to be joined by Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Huntress, Jurnee Smollett-Bell as Black Canary and Rosie Perez as Renee Montoya in the film but specifics of the plot are under wraps.

Doctor Omega

McGregor Is Black Mask In “Birds of Prey”

mcgregor-is-black-mask-in-birds-of-prey-696x464.jpg

He was already rumored over a month ago, and now Golden Globe winner Ewan McGregor is officially set to join Margot Robbie as the villain Black Mask in the “Birds of Prey” film at Warner Bros. Pictures and DC Films.

The character is a Gotham City mob boss who leads the False Face Society gang and blames others for his shortcomings. In the comics, Black Mask is the criminal alias of Roman Sionis, a brutally sadistic kingpin with an ebony black mask which was burned onto his face.

He’s also a skilled improvisational fighter and relentless tactician with vast wealth at his disposal. Robbie is reprising her role of Harley Quinn in the film, which also stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Huntress, Jurnee Smollett-Bell as Black Canary, and Rosie Perez as Renee Montoya.

Cathy Yan (“Dead Pigs”) helms the R-rated film from a script by Christina Hodson (“Bumblebee”). The film is scheduled to open in cinemas on February 7th 2020

Doctor Omega

Chris Messina Is Victor Zsasz In “Birds of Prey

chris-messina-is-victor-zsasz-in-birds-of-prey-696x464.jpg

Chris Messina (“Sharp Objects,” “Argo,” “Devil”) has scored the role of Victor Zsasz in the upcoming DCEU movie “Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)” at Warner Bros. Pictures.

Ewan McGregor’s Black Mask is the main villain with Zsasz to serve as his henchman in the film. The character is a sadistic serial killer who carves a tally mark into himself for each of his victims.

Tim Booth played the character in a small role in “Batman Begins,” but actor Anthony Carrigan has come to define the part with a memorable turn on “Gotham” in recent years in which Zsasz is Penguin’s enforcer and gets some of the best darkly comic lines on the whole show.

Robbie will be reprising her “Suicide Squad” role of Harley Quinn in the film, which also stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Huntress, Jurnee Smollett-Bell as Black Canary, Rosie Perez as Renee Montoya, and Ella Jay Basco as Cassandra Cain/Batgirl.

Cathy Yan (“Dead Pigs”) is directing the R-rated movie from a script by Christina Hodson (“Bumblebee”). Hodson recently spoke to Collider about the film and that mouthful of a title, saying:

“I don’t know if I’m officially allowed to say, but there’s no reason why not. It was an unofficial aka, when I wrote the script. I added it about a year or so ago, almost exactly as it is, just as an aka. I didn’t think we’d ever use it. We’d always used a working title, so I just had it as a cheeky little thing, on the front cover. And then, when we were talking about a title and brainstorming, we all kept drifting back to that one.

Hodson is also working on the “Batgirl” film and says the studio is giving her plenty of leeway to do what she wants with the character as there’s yet to really be a seminal live-action adaptation of her. That film hasn’t yet set a production start date.

“Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)” opens February 7th 2020.