Review Black Lightning (2017)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
000.jpg

Your thoughts on this show.....

A crusading school principal gets back into action as the original African-American electrical superhero.

Last edited:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I imagine that now it's been picked up by CW the idea crossing over with the other DC shows is back on the table. Even if they decide to keep it in its own separate universe, the multiverse concept ensures that the possibility of at least occasional visits remains.

Doctor Omega

How “Black Lightning” Differs To CW’s DC Series

how-black-lightning-differs-to-cws-dc-series-696x464.jpg

Actor Cress Williams has spoken with EW this week about how the upcoming CW series “Black Lightning” differs from the other DC Comics-inspired series on the network such as “Arrow” and “The Flash”.

In the series, Williams plays Jefferson Pierce, a New Orleans charter high school principal, father of two daughters, and a retired superhero who nine years ago used his superhuman powers as the masked vigilante Black Lightning.

Nearly a decade later and with crime and corruption spreading like wildfire, those he cares about are in the crosshairs of the menacing local gang and Black Lightning must return. On his character’s differences, Williams tells the mag:

“What makes it different is that really we’re a family drama. The origin story aside, they don’t have the ties of a family that’s keeping them tied to reality. Our show is also just really dealing with a grass roots superhero who is not trying to save the world, he’s trying to save his community. The fact that he just has the real world ties make it different.”

Williams also spoke about the power set of Black Lightning in the series and what he hopes to see further down the line:

“We haven’t gotten into flight, which I’m really excited about eventually getting to that. He has the ability to have limited flight, and that’s the superpower I would love to have. He controls all things electrically based, along with martial arts and the hand-to-hand combat thing. Without getting into too much, there are things that the new suit provides that the old suit didn’t. It’ll be very fun, let’s put it that way.”

“Black Lightning” is slated to premiere mid-season, though the pilot will be screened this coming week during San Diego Comic Con.

Doctor Omega

Krondon Is Tobias Whale In “Black Lightning”

krondon-is-tobias-whale-in-black-lightning-696x464.jpg

Rapper Krondon (aka Marvin Jones III) has been cast as Tobias Whale, the ‘big bad’ of the first season of The CW’s new DC Comics inspired series “Black Lightning”.

Whale, an African-American man with albinism, is the leader of Freeland’s most feared gang – The 100. Before that, he was a corrupt politician brought down by Alvin Pierce, father of Black Lightning himself Jefferson Piece (Cress Williams).

Killing Alvin and driven underground, he became a gang leader and when Black Lightning returns after an absence – Tobias emerges from the shadows to face his biggest adversary.

The series also stars Nafessa Williams and China Anne McClain as Jefferson’s daughters, Anissa and Jennifer. Christine Adams, Damon Gupton, and James Remar co-star.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I watched the first two episodes this week, and loved them. It definitely feels similar to the other CW shows, but it has more of that Luck Cage vibe, bringing in racial inequality and struggles. In the first five minutes, we see Jefferson being pulled over and manhandled by cops for a robbery victim to try to identify. When he's proven not to be the culprit, the cops don't even give him so much as an apology. I think this is going to be a great show.

Although, all throughout, I could hear the conservative whites bitching in my head. "Oh, we ticked off a box with a black superhero", "oh we ticked off a box with a lesbian daughter", "why are white folks always the victims - wahhh".

Doctor Omega

I have seen the first episode and enjoyed it. Yes, I got a definite Luke Cage vibe too; particularly with Jefferson walking into a building full of dangerous thugs and vanquishing everybody coming at him one by one, much like Mister Cage does.

Will be seeing this show through I think. :emoji_alien:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Haven't had time to start this yet but looking forward to it. Good to hear that others think its good.

Although, all throughout, I could hear the conservative whites bitching in my head. "Oh, we ticked off a box with a black superhero", "oh we ticked off a box with a lesbian daughter", "why are white folks always the victims - wahhh".
If it upsets conservatives then it sounds even better.

Doctor Omega

This was in the background of a scene with Tobias. Was quite struck by it.........

Miles Davis - The Pan Piper

Doctor Omega

Am still watching and enjoying this show, albeit with about nine or so episodes to catch up on.

Having said that, I still have three episodes of HANNIBAL to watch and the last season of FRINGE too. :emoji_robot: