Review BLAKE'S 7: BOUNTY - Episode 11

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
068279fdce1180bf44ac258d5fe87db7--spaceships-science-fiction.jpg

b7bounty2.jpg

Your thoughts on this episode.....

Blake and Cally set out to convince Sarkoff, the exiled former president of the planet Lindor to return to lead his people, before the Federation assumes control of the planet. But the Liberator is taken over by a group of bounty hunters known as The Amagons.

On to the next episode.....

DELIVERENCE

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/deliverance-episode-12.3386/

Back to the previous episode...

BREAKDOWN

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/breakdown-episode-10.3370/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I actually like this episode a lot. It is very much an episode of two halves, of course.

The scenes of Blake trying to convince Sarkoff are fairly engaging, but would not pass muster in today's crazy world of action, action, action, cut, edit, cut, edit, poor attention spanned audiences. But shoot me, I like longer scenes as well as the faster paced ones.

For some reason it does not feel right that Blake destroys the record, although I know he was trying to force Sarkoff to agree. It just shows that Blake is happy to destroy things to get his way. Culture of the past be damned! :emoji_confounded:

I like the way they raise the possibility that Jenna really has betrayed the crew, although I was pleased to see that it was bogus.

The neck collars are a nasty idea, but I was relieved to see that they just flash a bit brightly when thrown away. Still lethal though apparently! :emoji_alien:

Yes, an okay episode. All written by Terry Nation of course, but I do wonder if it was just one table napkin or two that Terry wrote his drafts of each script on, before handing them over to the script editor to expand them into full scripts. Similarly to his very thin scripts for the Daleks' Master Plan. I think Chris Boucher deserves a great deal of credit for the entire run of the show.

*** Reading back over this review I feel I have been a bit overly generous... But it still scrapes a....

6 out of 10

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Spot on about Terry Nation
Maloney stated that Nation had given himself this huge commission on writing all 13 episodes of series one, a mistake he didn't repeat, and wasn't interested that his scripts were too short, too long, or just didn't work. There was a lot of rewriting from the script editor.
Bounty came in too short by a distance and the Amagon plot was added to pad it out.
It was an average episode for me.Sarkoff seems just too weak to be an effective leader, a rallying figurehead of the Oppressed. Tyce was played strangely by the actress, it just felt like a forced performance, it just didn't gel with me.
Jenna's fights with the hardened Amagons were a bit stagey as they dropped down with a single kick in the unmentionables!
Weakest episode of series one.
5/10

Last edited:

michaellevenson

This episode cast list

Gareth Thomas......BLAKE
Paul Darrow........AVON
Sally Knyvette......JENNA
Jan Chappell.......CALLY
Michael Keating.....VILA
David Jackson.......GAN
Peter Tuddenham...ZEN
T.P.McKenna......SARKOFF
Carinthia West.....TYCE
Marc Zuber.....TARVIN
Mark York.....CHENEY
Derrick Blanche.....AMAGON GUARD
written by Terry Nation
directed by Pennant Roberts
Transmitted 13 March 1978

Brimfin

Member: Rank 3
Due to time limitations, I had to watch the first 30 minutes of this episode one say and the remaining 22 minutes the next day. Oddly enough this worked out well, as this episode features two distinct stories.

We jump start right into the first story – Blake and Cally are rescuing Sarkoff, the former President of the planet Lindor whose been exiled to another planet. There’s some fast-moving action as the two of them avoid the guards in order to sneak into the fortress where the former President is being held. But when confronting Sarkoff, Blake is incredibly slow-moving in explaining his motives. Sarkoff thinks he’s an assassin and Blake lets the man pull a gun on him and fire without even trying to utter, “We’re here to rescue you.” Lucky for him, the gun wasn’t loaded.

The whole look of Sarkoff – the fancy clothes, the vintage jalopy car, even the residence modeled after old Earth, was reminiscent of the third Doctor Who, played by Jon Pertwee. He was the first Doctor Who that I encountered and will always be Doctor Who to me. I can’t help but wonder if this was a deliberate nod to that character and that maybe they even tried to get Pertwee to play the part, but he was either unavailable or unwilling. Anyway, Sarkoff thinks his people abandoned him because he lost his last election (due to Federation interference). His daughter tries to convince him to go back to Lindor and take his proper place, but it is only when Blake threatens to destroy his classic possessions that he reluctantly agrees to go. They flee in his jalopy and end up charging it at the guarded gate, until they are teleported up to the Liberator, leaving the driverless classic car to crash the gate and then just plain crash. End of first half-hour.

While Blake and Cally were on the planet, the Liberator received a distress call from a strange ship. Gan teleported over and then asked to be returned, saying the distress call was genuine. However, Zen recognizes that Gan’s voice was faked. Unfortunately, he only tells Vera on the bridge and not Avon in the transport room. By the time Vera tells Avon to hold off on the transport, something has already been brought aboard – but we don’t know what.

Blake and Cally arrive to find the ship apparently empty. He locates Jenna, who tells him they are all dead – and then he is knocked unconscious in a gas attack. They’ve all been captured by Tarvin, a bounty hunter from Amagon, who dresses like an Arab. Jenna was an old friend of his, so she feigns betraying the rest of the crew and playing up to him. He unlocks her explosive neck bracelet giving her enough freedom to waylay her guard and try to help her companions. Vera aids the effort by unlocking Blake’s explosive neck bracelet, and the others as well. Avon helps by getting the door open, though it takes lots longer than if Vera had done it. Sarkoff’s daughter Tyce helps by pulling a gun out of her boot and aiming it at Tarvin. He knocks the gun away but Sarkoff picks it up. Will he shoot? Tyce tells him to do it, but Tarvin says “You won’t.” Fortunately, Blake and Jenna distract him long enough for Sarkoff to shoot him dead. His confidence is restored and he’s ready to go back and lead his planet again.

Random thoughts:
Cally uses her telepathy to warn Blake about the guard activity on the planet. It was good to see her have an excuse to use her special ability again.

It was fun to see Jenna play the bad girl in this one. She and Tarvin have some good banter about old times, with the best exchange being:
Tarvin: You saved my life.
Jenna: We all make mistakes.

Earlier, I mentioned how everyone helped in this episode. I didn’t mention Gan, who sort of got them into the second mess, but his intentions were good. However the least valuable player was definitely Zen, who was no help at all this entire episode. Blake arrives on a seemingly empty ship and asks Zen where everybody is and gets a response similar to “Please rephrase the question.” What a dolt.

A good episode, though honestly I think Tyce would make a better ruler of Lindor than Sarkoff. She never gave up and was ready to fight all the way. I’ll give this one a 7.

Doctor Omega

The whole look of Sarkoff – the fancy clothes, the vintage jalopy car, even the residence modeled after old Earth, was reminiscent of the third Doctor Who, played by Jon Pertwee. He was the first Doctor Who that I encountered and will always be Doctor Who to me. I can’t help but wonder if this was a deliberate nod to that character and that maybe they even tried to get Pertwee to play the part, but he was either unavailable or unwilling.

That's an interesting take on Sarkoff and - now that you have said it - it makes me wonder if this was, indeed, the case.

You're not alone in your affection for Pertwee, Brimfin.... :emoji_alien:

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-jon-pertwee-doctor-your-view.1863/

A good Jenna episode, as you say. I thought that she played her "betrayal" well and the reactions of the crew to it were nice too....

AVON: "What does she have to do to convince you Blake? Personally blow your head off?"

michaellevenson

Due to time limitations, I had to watch the first 30 minutes of this episode one say and the remaining 22 minutes the next day. Oddly enough this worked out well, as this episode features two distinct stories.

We jump start right into the first story – Blake and Cally are rescuing Sarkoff, the former President of the planet Lindor whose been exiled to another planet. There’s some fast-moving action as the two of them avoid the guards in order to sneak into the fortress where the former President is being held. But when confronting Sarkoff, Blake is incredibly slow-moving in explaining his motives. Sarkoff thinks he’s an assassin and Blake lets the man pull a gun on him and fire without even trying to utter, “We’re here to rescue you.” Lucky for him, the gun wasn’t loaded.

The whole look of Sarkoff – the fancy clothes, the vintage jalopy car, even the residence modeled after old Earth, was reminiscent of the third Doctor Who, played by Jon Pertwee. He was the first Doctor Who that I encountered and will always be Doctor Who to me. I can’t help but wonder if this was a deliberate nod to that character and that maybe they even tried to get Pertwee to play the part, but he was either unavailable or unwilling. Anyway, Sarkoff thinks his people abandoned him because he lost his last election (due to Federation interference). His daughter tries to convince him to go back to Lindor and take his proper place, but it is only when Blake threatens to destroy his classic possessions that he reluctantly agrees to go. They flee in his jalopy and end up charging it at the guarded gate, until they are teleported up to the Liberator, leaving the driverless classic car to crash the gate and then just plain crash. End of first half-hour.

While Blake and Cally were on the planet, the Liberator received a distress call from a strange ship. Gan teleported over and then asked to be returned, saying the distress call was genuine. However, Zen recognizes that Gan’s voice was faked. Unfortunately, he only tells Vera on the bridge and not Avon in the transport room. By the time Vera tells Avon to hold off on the transport, something has already been brought aboard – but we don’t know what.

Blake and Cally arrive to find the ship apparently empty. He locates Jenna, who tells him they are all dead – and then he is knocked unconscious in a gas attack. They’ve all been captured by Tarvin, a bounty hunter from Amagon, who dresses like an Arab. Jenna was an old friend of his, so she feigns betraying the rest of the crew and playing up to him. He unlocks her explosive neck bracelet giving her enough freedom to waylay her guard and try to help her companions. Vera aids the effort by unlocking Blake’s explosive neck bracelet, and the others as well. Avon helps by getting the door open, though it takes lots longer than if Vera had done it. Sarkoff’s daughter Tyce helps by pulling a gun out of her boot and aiming it at Tarvin. He knocks the gun away but Sarkoff picks it up. Will he shoot? Tyce tells him to do it, but Tarvin says “You won’t.” Fortunately, Blake and Jenna distract him long enough for Sarkoff to shoot him dead. His confidence is restored and he’s ready to go back and lead his planet again.

Random thoughts:
Cally uses her telepathy to warn Blake about the guard activity on the planet. It was good to see her have an excuse to use her special ability again.

It was fun to see Jenna play the bad girl in this one. She and Tarvin have some good banter about old times, with the best exchange being:
Tarvin: You saved my life.
Jenna: We all make mistakes.

Earlier, I mentioned how everyone helped in this episode. I didn’t mention Gan, who sort of got them into the second mess, but his intentions were good. However the least valuable player was definitely Zen, who was no help at all this entire episode. Blake arrives on a seemingly empty ship and asks Zen where everybody is and gets a response similar to “Please rephrase the question.” What a dolt.

A good episode, though honestly I think Tyce would make a better ruler of Lindor than Sarkoff. She never gave up and was ready to fight all the way. I’ll give this one a 7.
Like the review, surprised you like it, I'm obviously in a minority at the moment.
T.P. McKenna is good, I've always liked him, best known in Britain for his role as Russian spy Richmond in Callan playing opposite Edward Woodward.
The Jenna betrayal thread was good, I don't think any of the crew really believed it.
Avon would find it highly amusing you calling Vila ...Vera.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
I liked the first half better than the second, but both worked. I was truly curious to see what came aboard when the crew retrieved Gan. But how did these three other people transport without the bracelets?

Our heroes got away just in the nick of time both times, but the second time I felt that Jenna overcame the Amagonians too easily. The liberator must have been awfully fast to get away from the Federation at that point.

Sarkoff certainly was a beaten man, but Blake and Tyce both broke down his resistance together.

One more thing - did the Amagonians have to be so swarthy? Did their clothing have to resemble those of Arabs? Seems like an unnecessary stereotype to me.

7/10

michaellevenson

I liked the first half better than the second, but both worked. I was truly curious to see what came aboard when the crew retrieved Gan. But how did these three other people transport without the bracelets?

Our heroes got away just in the nick of time both times, but the second time I felt that Jenna overcame the Amagonians too easily. The liberator must have been awfully fast to get away from the Federation at that point.

Sarkoff certainly was a beaten man, but Blake and Tyce both broke down his resistance together.

One more thing - did the Amagonians have to be so swarthy? Did their clothing have to resemble those of Arabs? Seems like an unnecessary stereotype to me.

7/10
Yes Jenna aimed a kick at the unmentionables and down they went. In the universe of B7 there are no aliens as such, not yet anyway , so perhaps a colony originally from an Arabic community on Earth set off to settle on an alien world, and centuries later, here they are. This is in two parts really, an interview with David Maloney, producer, revealed that this episode under ran by quite a bit, and the Amagon plotline was added to pad it out.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I'm not really sure how to respond to this episode. I can't point to anything particular that I didn't like in the episode, but as a whole I found it to be underwhelming.
an interview with David Maloney, producer, revealed that this episode under ran by quite a bit, and the Amagon plotline was added to pad it out.
Which explains a lot actually. It seems like two fairly unrelated stories jammed together to pad the episode out.

The main criticism I have of this episode (and several of the previous ones) is that they don't seem to know how to use the ensemble cast well. Too many episodes seem to have 3 or 4 of the crew stuck on the ship with very little to do. Part of me feels that the show is less "Blake's 7" and more "Blake (and some other unimportant people that sometimes tag along)". Although that's probably slightly less marketable as a title. I do have some vague memories of episodes in later seasons that encourage me to believe that they get better at involving the crew better.

Even as I'm typing this (only a couple of hours after watching the episode) I find myself struggling to remember much about the episode at all. Blake and Cally? rescue a former politician (who seems far too apathetic) while the rest of the crew get taken over (way too easily) by some vaguely stereotypical Arab types?

I'll give this one 4 out of 10.

Doctor Omega

Spot on about Terry Nation

I read a very interesting factoid the other day.....

It was in this magazine.....

download.jpg

There was an interview with David Whittaker's son and he was discussing how Terry Nation punched his Dad in the face while the two men were working together on one of the three Dalek annual type books of the 1960's.

Whittaker fled the room holding his face.

Will have to dig out the magazine and will post the full paragraph soon, but it suggests a different side to Terry Nation under the affable, jovial interview personae.

I think that there is cosmic justice however, as I feel Whittaker wrote much better Dalek stories than their half-creator anyway. :emoji_alien:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Blake and Cally arrive in sector three of an empty, nameless planet, where President Sarkoff is housed, as a guest of the Federation. Blake locates Sarkoff, who is the deposed leader of the planet Lindor, which is on the verge of civil war. Unbeknown to Sarkoff, the Federation had rigged the government elections on Lindor seven years previously, so that he would lose and Lindor would eventually fall into civil war. If civil war does break out, the Federation will be able to send in peacekeeping forces and annex Lindor. Once the Federation annex the planet, they plan to reinstate Sarkoff as a puppet figurehead who they can control.

Blake tries to convince Sarkoff to come with him back to Lindor, so he can reunite his people and prevent the Federation from taking control. While Blake urges the president to take back his leadership, the Liberator answers a distress call from another spacecraft. However, this turns out to be a trap set by a notorious Amagon bounty hunter from Zolag 4, known as Tarvin, who happens to be a former colleague of Jenna. He hijacks the Liberator and imprisons Jenna and the rest of the crew. He then informs her that he can get 13 000 000 credits for the Liberator and its entire crew, or 12 000 000 credits without Jenna, if he decides to keep her for himself.

Tarvin claims he even sold his own grandmother into slavery as she was planning to do the same to him, but he got in first. Jenna uses his feelings for her to manipulate him. She helps her fellow crewmembers to escape from detention and during the following battle between them and the space pirates, Tarvin is killed by the crossfire as the Liberator crew reclaims control of their spaceship.

BOUNTY is certainly not a bad episode, but I’ve always found myself a little less invested in its outcome than in its predecessors and successors. In a way, I think this is a bit of a shame, because I’ve been a fan of TP McKenna ever since I first saw he play the Russian agent Richmond in the superb British espionage TV series, CALLAN. However, despite the best efforts of him, along with the rest of the guest cast and the regular cast, I can still only give this episode of BLAKE’S 7 a lukewarm response.

3/5.