Review BLAKE'S 7: CYGNUS ALPHA - Episode 03

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
068279fdce1180bf44ac258d5fe87db7--spaceships-science-fiction.jpg

cygnus013.jpg

Your thoughts and views on this, the third episode of Blake's 7....

Blake, Avon and Jenna follows the prison transport ship "London" to the Federation prison planet "Cygnus Alpha" where Blake teleports to the surface to free the prisoners. But the planet's supreme ruler Vargas wants to take over "The Liberator" in his goal for total power and conquest of the galaxy.

On to the next episode...

TIME SQUAD

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/time-squad-episode-4.3317/

Back to the previous episode....

SPACE FALL

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/space-fall-episode-2.3314/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I think that this gets a little bogged down with the Brian Blessed subplot, but the development of the regulars continues apace.

The Jenna/Avon showdown at the teleport console is a good moment and sadly, in retrospect, Avon was shown to be completely correct in his views on what would eventually happen if they teleport Blake up to safety.

Mind you, it would have meant leaving Vila and Gan where they were too.

And Cally would never have joined the crew either.

But would a series about Avon and Jenna travelling the cosmos, quietly avoiding the Federation and "getting wealthy", have been so enthralling? :emoji_alien:

If the establishment of the format can be seen as a three episode trilogy then this, in my opinion, is the weakest episode of the trilogy, due to the scenes on Cygnus Alpha dragging a bit for me.

So a still respectable....

6 out of 10

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Not an absolute favourite of mine. But it is a necessary episode as the Liberator is crewed. The sets are all good and Brian Blessed is excellent of course. We see early on that Avon is a total bastard , which is such a clever writing ' gimmick' because it almost guarantees people tuning in next week and see how long before Blake and Avon are at each others throats.
One gaffe or simple poor production that I noticed is that when Vargas is teleported to The Liberator he seems to wearing white trainers.
The Federation obviously left the first generation of prisoners with nothing except a supply of sports footwear!
We also have another new character in Zen and the new name of the ship - The Liberator which Zen got from Jenna's mind. So this is a powerful machine that like Dr Who's tardis is telepathic, as Blake says " conceptually alien".
So we have Blake Avon Vila Jenna and Gan , five down two to still be found until we have our seven.
8/10

Last edited:

michaellevenson

This episode cast list

Gareth Thomas.....Blake
Paul Darrow......Avon
Sally Knyvette....Jenna
Michael Keating....Vila
David Jackson....Gan
Peter Tuddenham...Zen
THE VERY LOUD BRIAN BLESSED......as Vargas
Glyn Owen.....Leylan
Norman Tipton...Artix
Pamela Salem....Kara
Robert Russell...Laran
Peter Childs....Arco
David Rayall....Selman

Writer...Terry Nation
Director..Vere Lorrimer
Transmitted 16 Jan 1978

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
SO here’s our third outing ...

We see two figures on a lonely planet. Will they rescue the prisoners?

We meet a form of AI (that’s slightly clairvoyant) on the ship, Zen. He makes piloting the ship much easier, but won’t land on the prison planet.

Our prisoners are dropped off at the inhospitable planet - no camp, no labor, nothing - just left to their own devices. Blake teleports down there - it’s risky - and finds these people are friends to no one. Thinking him a deserter (they don’t tolerate dissent very well, do they?) they try to kill him. Bravely, once he is teleported back, he doesn’t tell Jenna or Avon about his encounter.

The next trip he encounters the prisoners and can only persuade four to go with him. Meanwhile Avon, proving himself to be a right bastard, finds jewelry worth millions and proposes they leave Blake where he is and cash in. Jenna is not impressed. She saves Blake in the nick of time, he and his friends, But unfortunately they bring the planet’s Jesus figure (not so meek and mild) who threatens to do them all in unless he gets control of the ship, but when he steps back into the teleportation field Blake uses the opportunity to blast him into space (where he blows up for some reason).

A good debate on religion can be discussed from this episode. On one hand, it joined togther warring factions, on the other it was abused to give one man complete power over everyone and unquestioned obedience. Religion can join people together or tear them apart.

Last edited by a moderator:

chainsaw_metal1

A really good episode, even if it drags some on the plot. While I always enjoy seeing the impeccable Brian Blessed chew scenery, it does bring the pacing down. However, the subplot is still very good, if not executed in the best way. I liked what they did with a group of survivors who are all descended from the first prisoners left there, and it made for an interesting excursion, but it could have been done later in the series. We really see just what a bastard Avon can be, and it's magnificent to see. Blake continues to be willing to help his fellow downtrodden, even if it furthers his own agenda. Onward and upward!

This was 7 yelling overactors out of 10.

Gavin

VIP
Another enjoyable episode, even if it doesn't quite live up to the standard of the previous couple of episodes. An interesting concept of using the introduction of religion as a way of controlling the population and the idea of "creating" a disease to add another level of control (through the distribution of the antidote) was quite realistic. Brian Blessed was entertaining as always (if more subdued than I expected) but I always find his performances to be too over the top to be really believable. I suspect he's a brilliant stage performer where his kind of performance would steal the show, but it never quite convinces on screen.

My major issue with the episode was that we lost any indication of time passing. The trip to Cygnus Alpha was supposed to take 8 months and the initial prison break appeared to take place very early on in the trip. It could be argued that the arrival of the Liberator and the escape by Blake and the others took place some time after that, but there was no indication that more than a few days had passed. Then in this episode we're suddenly at Cygnus Alpha and Blake and the others appear to have just started trying to find out about the ship. I would have liked to have seen some suggestion that they had been spending quite a bit of time learning how to run the ship (there's no reason it couldn't have been shown that they took several months to learn about how to fly the ship, find out about Zen, discover and test the weapons, and develop an understanding of the teleport system. What we get is that it appears they've only been on the ship a matter of hours or days and they discover Zen, the weapons and the teleporter and immediately arrive at Cygnus Alpha and decide to test everything with nothing to indicate they have any idea how it all works.

We're finally starting to get our 7 together but we didn't really see much attempt to rescue the other prisoners. There was an initial offer which some refused. Others were killed trying to get the teleport bracelets. And then when Blake, Gan, and Vila get to the ship they leave the planet without any consideration of going back to get any others. Which is especially egregious given that some probably only stayed because they believed in the disease, which Blake and the others now know to be a lie. I know the goal of the episode was to get the specific crew onto the ship without loading it up with other unnecessary characters, but would it have killed them to show a scene where Blake explains that the disease is fake and the other prisoners choose to remain and build a new society without Vargas?

The death of Vargas was predictable from the moment Avon and Stannis had the conversation about using the teleporter out of range of a planet. Although I'm not sure why he exploded when he appeared in space? It might just be bugging me because I'm also watching Star Cops which always tries to do things as realistically as possible.

One gaffe or simple poor production that I noticed is that when Vargas is teleported to The Liberator he seems to wearing white trainers.
Yeah, I noticed that when Kara knelt to kiss Vargas' feet. It seems an odd production choice and I suspect it a case of choosing comfortable footwear and was just lazy filming to actually show it.

Finally, while I don't tend to criticise special effects very much, given the era and budget the show was working in, I will admit to thinking to myself that I could probably film the show today, on the budget they had back then, using a mobile phone and some relatively cheap apps, and it would probably be higher quality. Again, that's not a criticism of the show, just a comment on how far technology has come in the last 40 years.

Anyway I'll give this one 6 out of 10.

Gavin

VIP
Meanwhile Avon, proving himself to be a right bastard, finds jewelry worth millions and proposes they leave Blake where he is and cash in.
I have to say, on this issue I agree with Avon. I don't think that, with Blake leading, they will have a safe or quiet life. And I doubt there will be another opportunity to retire rich.

Gavin

VIP
As for the time factor, remember Jenna pressing a button and they zoomed off on a trip probably going faster than light, which would necessitate a time dilation effect.
Time dilation is a possibility, but I think an unlikely one. The fact that they didn't arrive until after the London suggests that, although they clearly travelled at an unexpectedly high speed, the full 8 months have passed. So either they've travelled at the same speed as the London or (more likely) they've spent some time sitting around not getting anywhere before travelling at high speed to catch up. Either way, they should have had some time to explore the Liberator.

Additionally, FTL travel generally doesn't incorporate time dilation in sci-fi shows, partly because time dilation is a relativistic effect and there's no scientific consensus on what happens if the light speed barrier is broken, but mostly because it makes for a very broken story. If they effectively lose months between each planet, they're effectively getting behind everyone and everything they know. They would need to plan attacks and raids months ahead and hope that none of their information changes while they are travelling.

Cloister56

Member: Rank 3
I really liked this episode. I love the discovery of new technology, how does it work, what are it's limitations.
I enjoyed watching Avon, Jenna and Blake use the guns. try out the ship and then the teleport.

The gun thing is a bit odd. I am not sure why the ship would only allow them to take one gun at at time, to prevent stocks running out? Avon says something about them being isomorphic (reminds me of the Pyramids of Mars) but then Blake hands a second one to Jenna without any ill effect. They also don't appear to be isomorphic as I understand it (one to one, they work only for the first user) as Vargas fires Blake's gun, so really what is the point of the system.

The effect used for the teleportation is great. An outline appears and then the person appears. It's simple but effective.
The fact that teleportation was under investigation in the Federation and that Avon and Blake were involved, explains why they are quick to infer what the teleporter does.

I would have liked to have seen some suggestion that they had been spending quite a bit of time learning how to run the ship (there's no reason it couldn't have been shown that they took several months to learn about how to fly the ship, find out about Zen, discover and test the weapons, and develop an understanding of the teleport system.
I think it would have been reasonable to see them at least test the teleport with an inanimate object first and then even do a short range trip.
The fact that landing the ships seems more dangerous than just going straight for the teleport does seem unlikely.
It does mean the first teleport is visually more interesting and has some risk associated with it, what if Blake hadn't made it.

It always bothered me in Star Trek how primitive races would very fortunately confiscate the badges thus preventing teleportation. I suppose it's required narratively but why would they bother with what would appear on first glance as just jewelry.
I like how although Vargas doesn't know exactly what the bracelets are for,he is smart enough to realise that they must be for something as Blake is carrying so many. Casually destroying them forces Blake to confirm their importance. He might not yet know what they do but he keeps one on him just in case.

Vila's indecision is amusing, should he stay or should he go. He certainly less creepy that he was in the first episode and battling against cowardice seems to be his initial defining trait. He does kill someone in this episode but seems realistically stunned at what has just happened.

Jenna's hair appears to have gotten more elaborate, maybe the liberator has a salon. She gets a nice new outfit, although I do prefer her previous one. She does seem very tempted by the jewels but is resistant to abandoning Blake. It seems she does have a code of morals, she is willing to bend or even break the established rules but wants to be able to justify her actions to herself.

Avon (interesting that so far Blake and Avon are referred to by their last names, Vila, Gan and Jenna by their first.) behaves very realistically in this episode. He doesn't have any real connection to Blake, he owes him nothing. He is willing to abandon him especially when he discovers the riches of the Liberator.

I have to say, on this issue I agree with Avon. I don't think that, with Blake leading, they will have a safe or quiet life. And I doubt there will be another opportunity to retire rich
I think that's exactly right, his talk to Jenna is realistic. Blake will see those jewels as a weapon, their fight against the Federation will go on, sucking them both into it whether they want to or not.

Gan gets a good episode here. He shows leadership of the group and shows intelligence when he kneels before the members of the cult. I think he knows they are outnumbered and it's probably going to be better to get along to survive on the colony.
The fact that Kara shouts his name to save him from the spear, only to get it herself seems to imply she has grown fond of him.
There isn't really much in the episode to establish this, outside of the initial meeting. I think the death would have carried a little more weight if they had shared another scene together.

Blake appears to show great loyalty for the convicts, risking himself to go back for them. I did question his motivations when he says "I need them for my crew" is that his overriding purpose, rather than just wanting to save them. He is also very forceful with the convicts, he is not willing to give up the Liberator and seems willing to allow everyone to die to keep it. I understand he knows once he gives that up he is finished and probably they all are but it is still morally grey.

I always enjoy Brian Blessed. He's general shtick is "Shouty Shouty Shouty" but it works when he does it. He is not just a stock villain though. He has an understandable motivation, he knows the history of the planet and how without unity the community would devolve into chaos. He does ultimately want more power, but I wonder how he would expect to control future populaces, I guess with the Liberator and an army of convicts he could do it.
The Curse of Sickness is a great controlling tactic. It sets the cult up as benevolent as they provide the cure but makes you completely dependent on them.

The final sequence is a bit confusing. I initially thought as Vargas transports before Blake that he arrived first and was waiting across the room but Avon and Jenna don't seem to suggest this. It appears they all arrived together but then why did Blake appear with Gan and Villa they should have been transported at the same time as Varga and if anything Blake would be separate.
From what I can tell the background suggest that Varga arrives in a second, up to this point unseen transporter pad. It works well dramatically so I'm not that bothered by it.

The death of Vargas was predictable from the moment Avon and Stannis had the conversation about using the teleporter out of range of a planet. Although I'm not sure why he exploded when he appeared in space? It might just be bugging me because I'm also watching Star Cops which always tries to do things as realistically as possible.
Yeah that didn't make much sense and I think could have been done better. The distortion effect they use when someone teleports down maybe, just increases and then faded out to suggests his matter being "scattered to the solar winds"

So as I said I enjoyed this episode. Good start to the series so far.
8 extra transporter pods hidden around the ship for bad guys to appear from, out of 10

michaellevenson

For a long time it bothered me that Vargas appearing opposite Blake and the others in the teleport room, didn't make sense.
If you look carefully behind Vargas you can see another teleport area, so Zen having directed Vargas to it as the first teleportee, It (he?) directed the others to the other one.

Cloister56

For a long time it bothered me that Vargas appearing opposite Blake and the others in the teleport room, didn't make sense.
If you look carefully behind Vargas you can see another teleport area, so Zen having directed Vargas to it as the first teleportee, It (he?) directed the others to the other one.
Yeah I'm reasonably happy with that explanation, it makes sense Zen might isolate the unknown armed person to a separate booth. Now if only the isomorphic guns do what they are supposed to.

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
So, we finally get to Alpha Cygnus/Cygnus Alpha (I can never remember) and it was... Underwhelming.

It's ironic that the cult leader of the prison colony seemed to have been named after one of our former presidents, one who wasn't particularly very close to the democratic rule. Another thing that called my attention was the fact that I recently saw the movie "Hollywoodland" (a.k.a. "Truth, Justice and the American Way") about George Reeves's murder/suicide. In the movie he is disillusioned about his acting career. At some point he laments he had to "defend Camelot with a cardboard sword" (referring to "The Adventures of Sir Galahad" - 1949) And that was the impression I got from the sets in this episode: leftover scenery from a King Arthur or Ivanhoe TV show or movie. I'm perfectly aware of the show's budget shortcomings, but for some reason when they said we were going to see an entirely different planet, my expectations got unrealistically high, unfortunately. At least I expected some sort of Federation command structure minding the prisoners.

On another subject, sometime you actually sure look at gift horse in the mouth. Because so far Blake has been gifted a brand new ship with lots of cool toys, a new best friend with an interesting personality, and a pretty girl with great hair. All that absolutely free! As we say here, when the alms are too much, the beggar should be suspicious.But so far this plot contrivance seems more like a deus ex machina situation created to make Blake meaningful as a rebel force.

The Jenna/Avon showdown at the teleport console is a good moment and sadly, in retrospect, Avon was shown to be completely correct in his views on what would eventually happen if they teleport Blake up to safety.
Then I think I didn't understand what was going on. It seems to me when Avon theorized that if they tried to teleport someone beyond the machine's range, the person would materialize and explode. And that worked as a Chekhov's gun, since this is exactly what happened to Vargas. Blake, on the other hand, when he was teleported back to The Enterprise the Millennium Falcon Eagle 1 The Interceptor The Spindrift Serenity the Jupiter 2 The Liberator, he was fine, and it only took so long for them to bring him back because Avon wanted to screw Blake over and run away with the ship everyone seems to want to enable Blake to grow his self confidence and self esteem by solving his own problems himself.

Actually, the whole situation involving the teleporting mechanism was funny, like a bunch of monkeys trying to operate a smartphone funny ("Press a button, any button, this one... It worked!"). I had a good laugh when Blake couldn't hide how eager he was to test the new machine even though nobody was sure of what they were doing there and he only made it out alive by sheer luck. It's almost as if he knew he had protagonist invulnerability.

The transporting effects were insane and got me grinning as well. Which makes me once more admire how Star Trek did it right the first time, the effect looked cool back in 1966 and it still looks cool.

But now I wish Vargas had survived and they tried to find a way to integrate him into the titular team of seven. By the way, why seven? I guess one might just as well use the explanation Peter Cook gives to Dudley Moore in "Bedazzled" (1967):
It's the standard contract. Gives you seven wishes in accordance with the mystic rules of life. Seven Days of the Week, Seven Deadly Sins, Seven Seas, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers...
It was fun. I sort of enjoyed it. 6 blasters disguised as futuristic curling irons which even get hot, so Blake might be using them to keep his perm while it's still fashionable.

michaellevenson

So, we finally get to Alpha Cygnus/Cygnus Alpha (I can never remember) and it was... Underwhelming.

It's ironic that the cult leader of the prison colony seemed to have been named after one of our former presidents, one who wasn't particularly very close to the democratic rule. Another thing that called my attention was the fact that I recently saw the movie "Hollywoodland" (a.k.a. "Truth, Justice and the American Way") about George Reeves's murder/suicide. In the movie he is disillusioned about his acting career. At some point he laments he had to "defend Camelot with a cardboard sword" (referring to "The Adventures of Sir Galahad" - 1949) And that was the impression I got from the sets in this episode: leftover scenery from a King Arthur or Ivanhoe TV show or movie. I'm perfectly aware of the show's budget shortcomings, but for some reason when they said we were going to see an entirely different planet, my expectations got unrealistically high, unfortunately. At least I expected some sort of Federation command structure minding the prisoners.

On another subject, sometime you actually sure look at gift horse in the mouth. Because so far Blake has been gifted a brand new ship with lots of cool toys, a new best friend with an interesting personality, and a pretty girl with great hair. All that absolutely free! As we say here, when the alms are too much, the beggar should be suspicious.But so far this plot contrivance seems more like a deus ex machina situation created to make Blake meaningful as a rebel force.

Then I think I didn't understand what was going on. It seems to me when Avon theorized that if they tried to teleport someone beyond the machine's range, the person would materialize and explode. And that worked as a Chekhov's gun, since this is exactly what happened to Vargas. Blake, on the other hand, when he was teleported back to The Enterprise the Millennium Falcon Eagle 1 The Interceptor The Spindrift Serenity the Jupiter 2 The Liberator, he was fine, and it only took so long for them to bring him back because Avon wanted to screw Blake over and run away with the ship everyone seems to want to enable Blake to grow his self confidence and self esteem by solving his own problems himself.

Actually, the whole situation involving the teleporting mechanism was funny, like a bunch of monkeys trying to operate a smartphone funny ("Press a button, any button, this one... It worked!"). I had a good laugh when Blake couldn't hide how eager he was to test the new machine even though nobody was sure of what they were doing there and he only made it out alive by sheer luck. It's almost as if he knew he had protagonist invulnerability.

The transporting effects were insane and got me grinning as well. Which makes me once more admire how Star Trek did it right the first time, the effect looked cool back in 1966 and it still looks cool.

But now I wish Vargas had survived and they tried to find a way to integrate him into the titular team of seven. By the way, why seven? I guess one might just as well use the explanation Peter Cook gives to Dudley Moore in "Bedazzled" (1967):

It was fun. I sort of enjoyed it. 6 blasters disguised as futuristic curling irons which even get hot, so Blake might be using them to keep his perm while it's still fashionable.
I certainly didn't expect to find Federation guards watching the prisoners. These prisoners as far as the Feds are concerned are beyond the pale, no rights , no use, non persons sent to the back of beyond, so dumping them on an uninhabited planet with zilch is how the Federation would deal with them.
The Avon /Jenna scene that Dr Omega mentions has nothing to do with what physically will happen to Blake by teleporting him up, Avon was theorizing that Blake would see all this good fortune as weapons to use in his crusade. The theory about teleporting beyond the maximum range occurred earlier.

Last edited:

Gavin

VIP
I certainly didn't expect to find Federation guards watching the prisoners. These prisoners as far as the Feds are concerned are beyond the pale, no rights , no use, non persons sent to the back of beyond, so dumping them on an uninhabited planet with zilch is how the Federation would deal with them.
I was surprised at that. I was expecting something along the lines of British transportation of prisoners to Australia (in those days almost a comparable trip as the one to Cygnus Alpha). And the British definitely sent guards to keep the prisoners under control.

michaellevenson

I was surprised at that. I was expecting something along the lines of British transportation of prisoners to Australia (in those days almost a comparable trip as the one to Cygnus Alpha). And the British definitely sent guards to keep the prisoners under control.
The early convicts sent to Australia if left unsupervised could have returned to Britain, here the prisoners can't go anywhere so there's no point supervising or controlling them or even rehabilitating these zeros. The Federation probably regarded it as a kindness that the prisoners were allowed to live rather than just being executed back on Earth.
Okay,apart from Brimfin we are i think ready to move on.
Next episode ; 4 TIME SQUAD; when our Seven shall be complete!

Brimfin

This was like the third part of a three-parter setting up the premise of the show. In part one, we meet Blake, part two he gets his ship and two of his team and tonight he gets the rest of his seven (or six, since he’s one of the seven – right?). Of the four other members, I know one stands out as big and strong and another as semi-cowardly comic relief. Not even sure who the other two are, but I imagine we’ll find out in time.

Most of the show takes place on Cygnus Alpha, the prison planet the London was heading to. Blake, Avon and Stannis find out that the ship has a treasure trove, a guidance system and bracelets with a compound that allows you to be transported from the ship to a planet it orbits a la STAR TREK. Good thing for Blake he had Jenna with him on the ship as Avon was sorely tempted to grab the fortune in jewels and leave Blake behind, not wanting to join Roj in fighting the dreaded Federation.

On Cygnus, the remaining prisoners find the place run by a religious cult which kills any nonbelievers. There’s also a poisonous element that must be countered by daily doses of a drug. Blake beams down with spare bracelets to invite the crew aboard, but runs afoul of the cult leader Vargas. I thought I recognized Brian Blessed as playing Vargas and I was right. I still remember him from the FLASH GORDON movie of the 80’s which was pretty cool, but never got a sequel. His characters are usually a little over the top, but this one was way over – although he was power-mad so it fit. I’m not fond of stories that are anti-religious, but there is a certain logic to Vargas creating a religion to unite the bickering convicts and then falling prey to the corruption of his absolute power. I’m not sure what made him think he could spread his message to other worlds. All he had was a fake figure and the supposed cure to his planet’s poison which he admits was all just trickery anyway. He’s rather easily dispatched by stepping onto the transporter area and being sent into open space. He suffers explosive decompression although it looks more like he blew up like a firebomb.

Too bad they had to kill off Vargas’s second in command, a lovely lady. She gets a spear thrust through her after trying to warn someone about it. She would have made a nice addition to the seven. Oh, well, just one woman in the group, I guess.

One big boo-boo involves the eight month trip to the prison planet. Last week, it didn’t seem to take long for the inmates to revolt; the meds would have rendered them docile otherwise. But this week, they’ve arrived on C. Alpha without even having sent out their report about the revolt yet. There’s no indication that Blake and his crew have been travelling on their ship for months – if they have, they’re awfully slow about finding out anything about it. So where did we lose the eight months? At first, I thought even the writers had forgotten about it, but one of the London crew comments “After eight months on this ship, I’d like to stretch my legs.”

The transporter effect is a little weak. I’m okay with the person diffusing to start, but then they show a drawn figure like a chalk mark of a murder victim and have them appear inside it. Looks rather silly; why don’t just have a reverse of the earlier effect instead? And why when they were bringing the sacrifice in did one of the men claim that the prisoners had tried to jump them but they got the best of them? Obviously, just for our benefit so we’d think the big guy was really going to get sacrificed. But it was a dumb move; what if Vargas had realized that it was a stranger’s voice saying that? In fact, why didn’t he notice it? And when you’re planning to jump Vargas’s crew during a ritual sacrifice, it would be a little smarter not to wait until the last minute when he’s starting to plunge the knife into you.

Overall, the episode was still interesting. I’ll give this one a 7.

Last edited:

Gavin

VIP
One big boo-boo involves the eight month trip to the prison planet.
Yeah I had an issue with that too. The only explanation I can think of is that the revolt on the London took place early on during the trip but the discovery of the Liberator didn't occur until almost the end of the trip. There's nothing to indicate a gap of several months between the two events but its the only thing that really makes sense given the way the story is presented.