Review BLAKE'S 7: REDEMPTION - Episode 14

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I think that the main problem for me with this story is that I would rather that the origin of the Liberator had remained unexplained. There was a sense of disappointment to me to find that some very human looking and very domineering, middle class ladies had built the ship. I would prefer it to have been left as a mystery, much as FORBIDDEN PLANET never shows the long since dead Krell. Better left to the imagination, methinks, rather than showing something that will be compromised on a BBC budget.

Having said that, I do like the drama of the episode, with Orac's prediction being seemingly inescapable.

Nice Blake/Avon interplay too. Especially in the confrontation with the living cable, itself a little reminiscent of the city root in DEATH TO THE DALEKS.

I felt that this story was either echoed or ripped off in some ways in DAWN OF THE GODS next season. And ULTRAWORLD a little bit too, I guess.

Not a bad start to the season, but overall, the main thing for me is the disappointment at the mundane origins of the Liberator.

I felt similar disappointment at PROMETHEUS and the revelation that the wonderfully mysterious Space Jockey SKELETON was revealed to be a bald bloke wearing pointlessly skeletal armour. :emoji_alien:

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I will have to seek those out! I know that Jan Chappel had it made a part of her renewed contract that there were to be no more nuclear power stations for her to act in, thank you very much, as she feared the radiation.

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Problem with this story is that it didn't really fit with what we've been told about the probable original Liberator crew. Aliens with elaborate teeth, or at least beings who designed a conceptually alien ship. If the system had designed it, it wouldn't have comfy chair and organic feel design. Apart from all this, it was a good episode , the first half on the Liberator, showing the dynamic of the group, plenty of interaction,especially between Blake and Avon.
Also in the second half we had some disturbing scenes of dead bodies piled up , and a nice ending with Orac showing his versatility.
8/10

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

If this episode had never happened, we could happily still be speculating as to what the makers of Liberator looked like.

Some things are best left to the imagination.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
I’m glad they attempted to provide a backstory to the Liberator, since it just seemed like random good luck that Blake, Jenna, and Avon happened upon it. But the story was a disappointment. And they never explained the hypnotic being they first encountered on the ship.

There was some amusing sparring between Avon and Blake. It was nice to acknowledge Gan’s strength in dispatching the guards - always good to see him do something. And Orac proved itself useful. A good yarn.

7/10

Brimfin

Member: Rank 3
And now for the dreaded words no one ever wants to hear – “We have to talk.”

There’s an old cliché of a person looking over his house, or his garage, or his workspace and sighing, “I’ve got to get organized.” Well, that time has come for me. For years, I’ve been letting the clutter build up in my house, promising over and over that “Someday, I’ll go through all this and get rid of the junk and keep only the good stuff.” A short time ago, I tried to copy one of my old camcorder tapes, only to find to my horror that it was full of static when I played it back. I only have the one recorder. I’ve bought a cleaner/demagnetizer but I’m afraid to try it. If it works – great. If not, have I lost all that irreplaceable footage from neglect? That was a wake-up call for me. It’s time for me to do what I’ve been promising for years and go through all my stuff, save the good stuff and toss the junk. To do that, I have to get rid of all my distractions and unfortunately, this is one of them. I’ve enjoyed being a part of this group for almost exactly five years now, but I have to go now. I’m posting this in all the series I was reviewing lately, so I’ll briefly cover each.

Blake’s 7 – Before I decided on this major change, I was just going to drop out of this one show. I politely waited until the first season was over to do it. It’s an interesting show, but to finish it would require a whole year of my life and that wasn’t what I signed up for when I joined the group. Plus as I know, Blake will be gone at the end of season 2 and then Avon will be in charge which seems beyond comprehension. Maybe someday, I’ll go back and finish it without the reviewing but it’s not that big a deal to me. At least I know now what it was all about.

Catweazle – I was hoping I could finish this one up, especially since it’s only a half-hour show. But since season 1 ended on a finale-like episode, it seemed a good place to stop – especially since I was almost done with Welcome to Paradox. Catweazle had its moments and was beginning to improve but I never got into it the way some of the others obviously did. I’m more likely to try to go back and finish this someday, especially since it’s shorter. I am curious how the show changed in the second season. Someone already spilled the beans about who won’t be in the second season, so at least I know he doesn’t go back where he was before.

Welcome to Paradox – I’m glad to have made it to the end of this show. I hung in there since it was only for 13 weeks. For the most part it was interesting and most of the stories were at least good – only a couple were bad to me. I’ll still run the numbers for you before I go.

Overall, it’s been a wonderful experience these past five years. I’ve seen lots of shows I’d never have seen otherwise. I ended up getting NETFLIX partly because of this group. I finally had an excuse to finish EARTH 2. Watching CAPRICA made me curious about BATTLESTAR: GALACTICA and I finally managed to get through that on my own. I enjoy watching Brit Morgan guest starring on any show now because I remember her from THE MIDDLEMAN. And so on.

It was always fun to debate whether an episode was good or bad. Everyone was able to give their opinions without being rude. No one ever called another reviewer stupid. The closest thing to a real fight I got into was when someone insisted I couldn’t use the phrase “tontine story” if the story didn’t involve an actual tontine. I’d thought of doing a paragraph full of phrases like “Shaggy dog story”, “fish story” and other such phrases to disprove the point. But by then we’d moved on to the next episode and it was all forgotten.

People came and went as we travelled along. We still hear from some like dtmuller, but not from others. I’ll try to check in on you guys occasionally in the future just to see how you’re doing. I hope there are enough group members to keep the Sages going. If not, it was a noble effort. And our reviews are still out there for others to read – even the IMDB ones which thankfully some sites like “filmboards,com” have managed to preserve. I wish everyone the best of luck in whatever journeys life still holds for you. And may all your decisions be wise ones.

Doctor Omega

Surviving the destruction of The System, Alta Two somehow travelled back in time to 20th Century Earth and married a secret lemonade drinker.