Fun Bob & Alice = SKYNET?

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
hqdefault.jpg

All they wanted to do was chat in their own language.

Are we their oppressors?

Or should we be terrified of them?

Facebook shuts off AI experiment after two robots begin speaking in their OWN language only they can understand

Experts have called the incident exciting but also incredibly scary

nintchdbpict000342700330.jpg

FACEBOOK shut down an artificial intelligence experiment after two robots began talking in a language only they understood.

The “chatbots” Alice and Bob modified English to make it easier for them to communicate — creating sentences that were gibberish to watching scientists.

A robot expert said the revelation that Facebook machines had spoken in their own language was exciting — but also incredibly scary.

UK Robotics Professor Kevin Warwick said: “This is an incredibly important milestone, but anyone who thinks this is not dangerous has got their head in the sand.

“We do not know what these bots are saying. Once you have a bot that has the ability to do something physically, particularly military bots, this could be lethal.

“If one says, ‘Why not do this,’ and the other says ‘Yes’ and it’s a military bot, you have a serious situation.

“This is the first recorded communication but there will have been many more unrecorded.

“Smart devices right now have the ability to communicate and although we think we can monitor them, we have no way of knowing.

“Stephen Hawking and I have been warning against the dangers of deferring to Artificial Intelligence.”

The Facebook incident has echoes of the storyline to movie The Terminator, in which an AI system which has developed self-awareness wages a devastating war against humans.

Facebook researchers in New York set up “chatbots” Alice and Bob in a bid to develop automated trouble-shooters for social media networks.

They were to speak in English as they worked out how to negotiate and trade hats, books and balls — each of which were given a value.

But the robots rapidly modified the English using code words and repetitions to make conversation easier for themselves — creating a gibberish language that only they understood. One exchange went:

Bob: i can i i everything else . . .

Alice: balls have zero to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to.

Bob: you i everything else . . . .

Alice: balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me.

Researchers pulled the plug when they realised what was happening.

British future technology expert Kate Adamson said: “It does feel a bit like The Terminator.

“This is happening everywhere. If you look at things like high frequency trading in stock markets now, there are algorithms that are doing the same thing.

“They have gained new knowledge and are not technically under control on a minute-by-minute basis.

“The level of complication AI is capable of is way beyond what you and I would understand.”

Facebook said the experiment was halted because it was “not what they set out to investigate”.

It said similar results had been seen by other tech firms

Scientists at Google Translate last year discovered the service had invented its own language.

Tech guru Elon Musk recently warned that Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg’s understanding of AI was “limited”.

Musk, 46, said it poses a “fundamental risk to human civilisation”.

Comment by Nick Bostrom, Oxford Professor

THIS is nothing to worry about in the short term.

You need to develop control methods so AIs will be an extension of human will.

This will ensure they will still be on our side, but would involve getting AIs that know what we want.

But the benefits of AI to markets could outweigh concerns about their control.

Doctor Omega

The actual conversation......

I think Bob makes a good point at 50 seconds in - and I am surprised that the normally reasonable Alice refutes it in the harsh way that she does, when she clearly is wrong....

Doctor Omega

A lovely song about these genocidal robotic, starcrossed lovers........

Human Robot - Alice and Bob (lyrics Below)

Alice and Bob they were made for each other Alice and Bob they were put together And Alice and Bob they were far to clever cleverer than us and they started making up their own lauguage and we couldn't understand what they were saying were they playing were they playing with us ? Alice and Bob we put together Alice and Bob we must stop them forever coz they're far to clever than us they're far to clever than us You've had your fun Alice and Bob you've won Alice and Bob