Fun The James Bond Movies!

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I think that this could be a disastrous idea.

Franchises are always in danger of going back to the well too many times. The audience grows fatigued and before you know it, the franchise is dead. (Hello Berman era Star Trek!)

I really am dubious as to whether we need a tv series or spin off films about any aspect of the Bond Universe.

Where will all of this Universe building end? :emoji_alien:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Weren't they planning on a Jinx spin-off with Halle Berry after Die Another Day. Fortunately the disaster that Die Another Day turned into prevented that. I could see maybe the possibility of a "00" TV series about other agents but even that I'd think twice about watching. Part of me wonders whether James Bond belongs in another era and his time in the modern era should be done. I've enjoyed bits of recent movies but it feels like they're trying too hard to force Bond into other movies (particularly the Bourne series) and when elements of other era (movie) Bonds creep in it feels strange.

Doctor Omega

I had a horrible premonition earlier today of what a spin off tv series will entail.

I think that the makers of the Bond films will have looked askance at the Marvel franchise and, in particular at MARVEL: AGENTS OF SHIELD. and will have wondered aloud: "What do we have that can be like that?"

I think that the resultant series will be called Q BRANCH and will be all about the daily adventures, on their days off, of Q's assistants.

Said assistants, comprising a motley assortment of badly acted characters, will be secretly sneaking the untested equipment out of the labs and testing it in the field in highly unlikely and improbable adventures.

There will be an occasional - once a season - guest spot from Ben Whatsisname as Q, in a bid to boost the failing ratings.

They may even try to talk John Cleese into a guest spot.

And it will be a kind of comedy action series, with an occasional reference to whatever has happened in the most recent Bond big screen adventure.

Thankfully, all of my past premonitions about anything have proven to be both rubbish and wrong!

I hope I can maintain that pattern! :emoji_alien:

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Domestic Deal Nearly Set For James Bond 25

domestic-deal-nearly-set-for-james-bond-25-696x464.jpg

MGM and Annapurna are reportedly set to imminently announce they will team on the domestic release of the next James Bond film, the twenty fifth in the series and the fifth of the Daniel Craig-era, with all the final touches to be finalized this week.

The news is not unexpected in the wake of the announcement last month that MGM was joining forces with Annapurna in a joint venture.

MGM’s Gary Barber and producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson are reportedly calling the shots, with Erik Lomis executing the domestic distribution and Marc Weinstock the marketing for the domestic release. Lomis worked on the distribution of Bond films at MGM, and Weinstock marketed two of them while at Sony Pictures.

This helps put the franchise back at its original home at MGM. There are still major decisions to be made regarding both international distribution and ancillary distribution, Sony Pictures and 20th Century Fox handled those elements respectively but Sony’s deal has already expired and Fox’s is almost up.

Warners, Sony and Universal are still battling hard for the worldwide distribution rights, a big slice of the cake considering Bond films make over 70% of their coin outside the United States. The Daniel Craig-led new film still has yet to secure a director and opens November 8th 2019.

Doctor Omega

Ed Sheeran's written a Bond theme... nobody asked him to

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/42390728/ed-sheerans-written-a-bond-theme-nobody-asked-him-to

Ed Sheeran has revealed he has written a James Bond theme tune, despite nobody asking him to.

Speaking on Ireland's The Late Late Show, he said that he decided to write it just in case he ever needed it.

"With Bond, I've actually had a theme tune written for about three years - just in case," he said.

When asked what it was called he said: "I'm not going to say 'cause someone might steal it, but it's good."

Doctor Omega

I think he looks a bit too friendly to be a convincing Bond. I think there has to be a physical stillness and a natural glint of cold steel behind the eyes.

Doctor Omega

James Bond 26
“James Bond” film series producer Barbara Broccoli hasn’t ruled out either a woman or person of color eventually taking on the iconic role of 007 once Daniel Craig wraps the role with his next film opening late 2019. She tells The Daily Mail this week:

“These films tend to reflect the times so we always try to push the envelope a little bit. Anything is possible. Right now it’s Daniel Craig, and I’m very happy with Daniel Craig, but who knows what the future will bring?”

Doctor Omega

I suspect that this statement may actually be just lip service to the current trend - and that BB actually has no intention whatsoever of changing 007's gender. I think that she is just avoiding criticisms of not being politically correct in future.

I don't think that she is anticipating any serious pressure from any groups to give us a Jane Bond either.

Last edited:

johnnybear

Political Correctness is a load of rubbish! Invented by that puppy dog Blair to assuage the desires of red blooded men in this country from lusting after sexy women in short skirts as they did on television in the seventies (God how I miss them days) and giving rise to the current pig headed attitude to role models for all and the like! I have read that this way of thinking is akin to what Hitler did to the German people in the thirties as well!
JB

Last edited:

johnnybear

I'm still not sure how I feel about Blofeld being Bond's adoptive brother and all that! I mean I've never read that or witnessed it in the Sean Connery films of the sixties and seventies, so why the change? In fact they seem to love changing things that were set in stone for no other purpose than to annoy long term fans! I was also peeved that Miss Bellucci only appeared in a few short scenes in Spectre despite her face being publicized as the new Bond girl over Lea Seydoux! I don't even think that the new Bond is in the same universe as the old and that the real Connery reality must have ended with Dalton in 89!
JB

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I'm still not sure how I feel about Blofeld being Bond's adoptive brother and all that! I mean I've never read that or witnessed it in the Sean Connery films of the sixties and seventies, so why the change? In fact they seem to love changing things that were set in stone for no other purpose than to annoy long term fans! I was also peeved that Miss Bellucci only appeared in a few short scenes in Spectre despite her face being publicized as the new Bond girl over Lea Seydoux! I don't even think that the new Bond is in the same universe as the old and that the real Connery reality must have ended with Dalton in 89!
JB
It's a load of bullshit.

And although the film was called SPECTRE, not once did we hear what the name stood for.

SPECTRE is an acronym. It stands for SPecial Executive for Counterintelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion.

ant-mac

I too remember my Connery Bonds very well old chap! :emoji_joy:
JB
Actually, I was referring to the Fleming Bonds...:emoji_wink:

SPECTRE appeared in two novels. Blofeld appeared in three novels - although he was accompanied by the remnants of SPECTRE in the third.

There were fourteen original books - twelve novels and two collections of short stories.

johnnybear

Yes, didn't I read that Blofeld wasn't actually in the novel of Diamonds Are Forever and that plans were afoot for Goldfinger's twin brother to have returned instead?
JB

ant-mac

Yes, didn't I read that Blofeld wasn't actually in the novel of Diamonds Are Forever and that plans were afoot for Goldfinger's twin brother to have returned instead?
JB
There was never any plans of it as far as I know.

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER is book four. GOLDFINGER is book seven.

Bond battles against an American mob family in DAF and encounters further American mobsters in GOLDFINGER.