Review El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (2019)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
“Breaking Bad” Movie To Shoot Imminently?

breaking-bad-movie-to-shoot-imminently-696x464.jpg

“Breaking Bad” series creator Vince Gilligan is reportedly working on a new two-hour feature film with ties to the beloved series, though it’s currently unclear if it’s a theatrical release.

Details are scarce, including whether any of the show’s stars will return, but a logline released says the film “tracks the escape of a kidnapped man and his quest for freedom.”

The Albuquerque Journal broke the story, saying the project is going by the working title of “Greenbriar” with shooting to run at Sony Studios in New Mexico from later this month through early February according to the state’s film office.

Said office wouldn’t confirm or deny that the project was a “Breaking Bad” film. The project would be Gilligan’s first after signing a three year deal with Sony Pictures Television in July.

The original series ran for five seasons and wrapped in 2013. Bryan Cranston starred as Walter H. White, a struggling high school chemistry teacher who is diagnosed with advanced lung cancer and turns to a life of crime – becoming an infamous crystal meth dealer with the help of former student Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul).

Doctor Omega

Cranston Talks The “Breaking Bad” Film

breaking-bad-is-coming-to-virtual-reality-696x464.jpg

Yesterday came the news that “Breaking Bad” creator Vince Gilligan was returning to that world shortly with news of a new film based on the critically acclaimed and popular AMC series going into production shortly in New Mexico.

All we know is the project is a standalone story, the filming dates and the covert working title of “Greenbrier”. Now Slashfilm reports that the project will be an immediate sequel to “Breaking Bad” and will star Aaron Paul reprising his role of Jesse Pinkman.

The site says the project will pick up right after the end of the series in 2013, and will follow Jesse’s escape from Albuquerque following the bloody events of the series finale.

Former series lead Bryan Cranston, speaking on The Dan Patrick Show, says: “Yes, there appears to be a movie version of ‘Breaking Bad’ but I honestly haven’t even read the script. I have not gotten the script. I have not read the script. There’s a question of whether or not we’ll even see Walter White in this movie.:”

Cranston then confirms he has spoken to Gilligan about the project, but doesn’t know if he’s going to be involved: “If Vince Gilligan asked me to do it, then sure, absolutely… This idea, from what I’m told, gets into those, at least a couple of the characters that were not completed as far as their journey.”

Filming is set to begin later this month and go until February.

Doctor Omega

Breaking Bad

Bryan Cranston has indicated not only will it be difficult for him to appear in the upcoming “Breaking Bad” sequel film due to the events of the series, but he tells Today he’s committed to the Broadway production of “Network” until March.
That clashes with the film’s production which kicks off this month and runs to February. Aaron Paul is expected to reprise his role of Jesse Pinkman who is attempting to escape New Mexico after the events of the series finale.

Doctor Omega

Paul Won’t Confirm “Breaking Bad” Film

aaron-paul-develops-blackmail-for-nbc-696x464.jpg

Aaron Paul sadly won’t confirm if a “Breaking Bad” movie has been shot, but then goes on to say if it has then he will likely be the star.

Vince Gilligan, creator of the highly acclaimed Emmy-winning AMC series, penned and directs the film which was shooting in New Mexico earlier this year. Paul will reprise his Emmy-winning role as Jesse Pinkman in the project which Netflix will have first-run rights for ahead of an AMC airing.

However reps for AMC, Netflix and Sony Pictures TV have all declined to comment on the project with the only one seemingly even admitting to it happening is the show’s former lead star Bryan Cranston. Paul, appearing at the Sun Valley Film Festival in Idaho on Friday, played it more coy telling Uproxx:

“Rumors are funny – I once heard a rumor that I was being cast as Han Solo. I haven’t heard anything about the ‘Breaking Bad’ movie but if there is one and it comes together I’d love to be a part of it. If it were to happen, yes, I would love to do it. In case you haven’t caught up on the TV series, Walter dies, so… it has to star Jesse.”

Mark Johnson and Melissa Bernstein will produce the film which follows directly on from events of the series finale.