Review Call Me By Your Name (2017)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
call-me-by-your-name.jpg

Call Me by Your Name is an internationally co-produced coming-of-age drama film directed by Luca Guadagnino and written by James Ivory.

It is based on the novel of the same name by André Aciman.

It stars Timothée Chalamet, Armie Hammer, Michael Stuhlbarg, Amira Casar, Esther Garrel, and Victoire Du Bois.

The film was picked up for distribution by Sony Pictures Classics before its world premiere at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival.

Call Me by Your Name has received universal acclaim.

Critics praised in particular Chalamet, Hammer and Stuhlbarg's performances, Guadagnino's direction and Ivory's screenplay.

It will be released in the United States on November 24, 2017.

Plot

A young man named Elio (Timothée Chalamet), living in Italy during the 1980s, meets Oliver (Armie Hammer), an academic who has come to stay at his parents' villa, and a passionate relationship develops between them, as they bond over their sexuality, their Jewish heritage, and the landscape.

Cast

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
This one looks really good, but alas, I'll have to wait until it's out on video. There don't seem to be any theatres showing it anywhere near me. The struggles of living in Iowa.

Doctor Omega

Guadagnino Talks “Call Me” Sequel Plans

guadagnino-talks-call-me-sequel-plans-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker Luca Guadagnino has revealed new details about his plans for a “Call Me by Your Name” follow-up to USA Today whilst on the Oscars red carpet on Sunday.

The Best Picture nominee, which won an Oscar for adapted screenplay, was based on a novel by author Andre Aciman. Guadagnino has revealed that he’s working with Aciman on the follow-up:

“I’m already conceiving the story with Andre Aciman, and it’s gonna happen five or six years afterwards. It’s gonna be a new movie, a different tone… they’re gonna go around the world.”

Actors Armie Hammer and Timothee Chalamet are both expected back for the sequel which will be set years later with the actors playing Oliver and Elio again, but this time they’ll be playing them closer to their actual ages as opposed to their characters being six and four years younger respectively.

Guadagnino adds they’re finalising the script first before they figure out when filming would begin.

Doctor Omega

Chalamet: “Call Me” Sequel Will Happen

Arthouse films tend to be standalones, but during press last year for “Call Me By Your Name” those involved in the film seemed keen on doing a sequel – essentially turning it into something akin to Richard Linklater’s ‘Before’ trilogy where we revisit the same two characters a few years later.

Out doing press for “Beautiful Boy,” the original film’s breakout star Timothee Chalamet spoke with TIME and says he’s guaranteed to return and the film is pretty much set – it’s mainly a question of when:

“I don’t see any world where [‘Call Me By Your Name 2’] doesn’t happen. I think Andre [Aciman, author of the original novel] is comfortable with a sequel being made. I know Luca [Guadagnino, director of the film] really wants it. And I know Armie [Hammer, Chalamet’s co-star] and I are 1000% in. I think it’ll be a couple of years later, and I think that’s cool – to take advantage of the ‘Boyhood’-style of storytelling. That isn’t done all the time.”

Guadagnino has been busy working on his “Suspiria” remake which is opening in a few weeks, while both Chalamet and Hammer have films opening this Fall.

Doctor Omega

Dakota Johnson Wanted For “Call Me” Sequel

dakota-johnson-wanted-for-call-me-sequel-696x464.jpg

Everybody has their muses and for filmmaker Luca Guadagnino it has been both Tilda Swinton and Dakota Johnson with the pair having done two films onscreen together with Luca – “A Bigger Splash” and the soon to open “Suspiria” remake (Swinton also did “I Am Love” and “The Protagonists” with Luca on her own).

The one recent film of his that neither was involved in was the Oscar-nominated “Call Me By Your Name” which the filmmaker has recently been teasing a sequel to. That film will follow the relationship between Elio (Timothee Chalamet) and Oliver (Armie Hammer) several years after their passionate love affair over several weeks of an Italian summer.

That film ended with a phone call set months later where Oliver tells Elio he is engaged. This week, in a lengthy New Yorker profile (via Indiewire), it has been revealed that Guadagnino wants Johnson to play the wife of Hammer’s Oliver. In fact, he already has some ideas about the character, saying: “She has to be a New England kind of hoochie woman” and adds that Oliver and his wife will ‘have, maybe, five children’ in the film.

Guadagnino plans to direct the sequel and says he’s facing one major issue right now: “The only problem is the title. It cannot be ‘Call Me by Your Name Two.'” That admission has already led to much speculation online from more serious suggestions like “…and I’ll Call You By Mine” and “I Remember Everything” to the more jovial “Call Me by Your Name: Tokyo Drift” and “Call Me By Your Name II: Peaches & Cream”.

He also confirmed he has fully left the thriller “Rio” which has been set to star Benedict Cumberbatch and Jake Gyllenhaal. Edward Berger takes over directing from Guadagnino who left over scheduling issues, saying he wasn’t given enough prep time and at this point in his career there’s no point in accommodating a rush request.

Doctor Omega

“Call Me By Your Name 2” Opening Revealed

call-me-by-your-name-2-opening-revealed-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker Luca Guadagnino is re-affirming his plans for “Call Me By Your Name” to become to him what the “Before Sunrise” films are to Richard Linklater.

The director, who had the divisive “Suspiria” remake in cinemas last year, spoke with Italian outlet Bad Taste and discussed his idea for how the story of Timothee Chalamet’s Elio and Armie Hammer’s Oliver should continue in a follow-up which will be set years later and far away from the sunny Italian shores:

“I’m asking myself if in the new chapter of the life of Elio, Oliver and the Perlman family we should let them pass by Crema or not… but I don’t think so. Let’s give a small scoop: the sequel (but I don’t like to call it a sequel, their story is a ‘cycle’) will take place in Paris. And it begins with Elio crying. With this light shining into his eyes… and we wonder: are we still where we left him (in front of the fireplace)? No: he’s crying because he’s watching the ending of one of the best movies of the eighties, Paul Vecchiali’s masterpiece ‘Once More / Encore’. Absolutely consistent with the character: Elio loves Paul Vecchiali’s cinema… that is melancholic like him.”

Both Chalamet and Hammer are reportedly game to star in the film, and Guadagnino has indicated he wants his frequent muse Dakota Johnson to play the woman Oliver is married to in the sequel. Author Andre Aciman and screenwriter James Ivory also have to approve but have apparently indicated a desire for more to this story so it’s now more a question of when.

Doctor Omega

Hammer: “Call Me By Your Name 2” Unlikely

hammer-call-me-by-your-name-2-unlikely-696x464.jpg

They have been keen on the prospect, but now those involved in 2017’s acclaimed romance coming-of-age drama “Call Me By Your Name” seem to be re-thinking the idea of doing a sequel.

Previously it was suggested filmmaker Luca Guadagnino and actors Timothee Chalamet and Armie Hammer would come together again for a “Before Sunrise” style deal, revisiting their Elio and Oliver characters several years down the track. The only issue seemed to be one of scheduling.

This week though, Hammer spoke to Vulture and said the film’s status is uncertain and he’s decidedly more downbeat on the idea than he has been previously:

“Timmy’s out! I’m not sure why. Timmy said the only way he’d do it is if they paid him $15 million. No, the truth is, there have been really loose conversations about it, but at the end of the day – I’m sort of coming around to the idea that the first one was so special for everyone who made it, and so many people who watched it felt like it really touched them, or spoke to them. And it felt like a really perfect storm of so many things, that if we do make a second one, I think we’re setting ourselves up for disappointment. I don’t know that anything will match up to the first, you know?”

Asked about how his co-star and director feel, Hammer is unsure and still leaves the door open:

“I haven’t had that conversation with them explicitly. But I mean, look. If we end up with an incredible script, and Timmy’s in, and Luca’s in, I’d be an asshole to say no. But at the same time, I’m like, ‘That was such a special thing, why don’t we just leave that alone?’ I’m not sure that it was ever really definitely going to happen. People just seemed so excited about it that we were like, ‘Oh, yeah, f–k it! We’ll do it, sure!”

One thing that might help those involved make a decision is author Andrew Aciman whose sequel to the novel that inspired the film hits bookstores in October. Titled “Find Me,” the story is set years later with Elio now a gifted classical pianist, Oliver a New England professor with nearly fully grown sons, and Elio’s now divorced father reflecting on his life.