Review CAMP SAWI (2016) dissected—I’m going against the tide

plsletitrain

Member: Rank 5
This was a sleeper hit, with critics and the masses all in agreement that this is the IT!!!!! movie to watch when you’re heartbroken or just came from a break-up…so I gave it a try.

This is a for-women-movie. No, I don’t mean you have to be a woman to watch or like this. What I mean is, you have to be a woman, or at least someone who understands women dynamics, to “get” this. Since the transients of the island are women, we see their coping mechanisms and pacing of moving on. You’ll see a lot of crying, wallowing in despair, brooding and sulking in the corner while a sad song is played in the background.

Sawi, which literally means “dead” is Tagalog streetword for “loser”. Camp Sawi is a place of solace located in one of the breathtaking pristine beaches of Cebu, Philippines. Do you happen to just come out of a break-up? Book yourself to a trip to Camp Sawi and find yourself in the company of the likes of you. Suit yourself if you identify with any of these characters:

Are you:

1.Bridget-the woman who was left behind by her 10-year (10 loooong years!!!!!Where did all of it go???) Chinese boyfriend to marry a Chinese woman

2. Clarisse-the mistress

3. Jessica- who never knew her boyfriend was gay until she saw him in the shower….with a man

4. Gwen-whose band vocalist boyfriend let her know that he’s found another one by singing her a song he personally composed to the effect that they’re basically over (then saying in conclusion “Its not me, its you” lol)

5. Joanne-whose boyfriend, or shall I say fiancé, died just right after he proposed

After watching, I can say that yes, if you’re fresh from a break-up, this is the movie for you. The lines are very relatable, quirky at first but strikes you deep (then again, if you're fresh from a break-up you're most likely vulnerable so any dialogue, no matter how remotely unrelated to your experience, might trigger the tears falling). The movie is well-known because of its hugot lines (hugot=cheesy romantic quotes/lines). However, I’m not sure if I could recommend this to non-Filipinos as you might not get the humor and wit when the lines are delivered. They are much more effective and of course, understood, by the Filipino audience.

However, I did note some lines that stood out, among others:

1.When the two-seater plane was experiencing turbulence, the pilot exclaimed—“Maam, its too heavy maam”. What’s heavy? “Your heart maam, its too heavy!!” Hmmmm…………..:emoji_bear:

2.In the vehicle, Bridget asks: So this thing has no seatbelt? Yes maam, like love, there’s no safety net. Hmmmmmmmmmm………………:emoji_bear:

3.Not all English speakers are from England! Some of them are just from Makati (a high-end top city in the Philippines)!!!!

Bela Padilla (Bridget) and Andi Eigenmann (Clarisse) were perfect for their roles.

Now let’s go to my complaints:

Too much use of emotional songs- I mean, I know this is a movie about depressed women but it won’t hurt to cut down on the sad songs. Its overkill.

Honorary awardees for being let-downs: Yassi Pressman in her slangards role (slangards is the term I use when referring to Filipinos who go slang when talking casually) and Arci Muňoz who I wished brought a scotchtape with her so she can tape her mouth.

First off, Yassi in her slangards role. I really can’t and @clayton-12 knows this. This has been my beef with Filipino films. I recognize English should be used as the medium of instruction here, in official communications, and news correspondence, but should we really go “Oh fuck” when talking casually to our Filipino peers? That’s why I really commend and find the Korean/Japanese use of “Engrish” cute. They don’t care. They don’t adapt to the Western language.

Arci Muňoz was really annoying. I know I overuse the word annoying but trust me, she softens her voice like a chipmunk (she probably wants to look cute but she’s doing the opposite), she could’ve signed up for Camp OA instead. Yassi Pressman was not overacting, but more like trying hard to fit in a role she wasn’t born to play. Bela Padilla and Andi were perfect. Heck even Cholo Barreto, the lone gay in the island, was better in his little amount of screentime.

Personally,I found the film engaging at first, when the comedic, typical “heartbroken woman looks like a zombie” was showcased. The movie lost me in the middle part when it put over-emphasis on the pain. If you show me a scene where a woman tries to kill herself more than once and then goes crazy, not just plsletitrain-type-of-crazy but really mental-hospital-crazy, because of a heartbreak, you’ll lose me. However, the movie doesn’t pass judgment but showcases the many faces of a heartbroken woman—and the strength she exudes as she moves on.

The movie is very much everyone can relate to. It’s the cycle of (romantic) life. You fall in love, you get hurt, you cry, you accept, you stand up, and then..... you move on.