Review Captain America: Civil War (2016)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
rag.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie....

Political involvement in the Avengers' activities causes a rift between Captain America and Iron Man.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I really enjoyed it and thought that the balance of quality screen time given to the various characters was very well handled and very well integrated.

And Batman vs Superman just didn't compare i.m.o., after seemingly having forgotten to have fun here and there while telling it's story.

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Saw it in the theatre, and loved it. I had really high hopes, as I loved the storyline from the comics. I liked how they changed it for the screen, and the reasons for the rift between Tony and Steve. I re-watched it when it hit Netflix, and it felt a lot slower than I remembered it, but it still held up, and was still enjoyable. Funny when it needed to be, dead serious when it needed to be, and everyone got their moments to shine.

Even Spidey's cameo. Damned thing felt somewhat shoehorned in, but they worked it in very well, and he gets some awesome one-liners and banter that made it feel like his comic book counterpart. And if you don't cry during the last confrontation, you have no soul.

BVS? No contest. That movie isn't even in the same ballpark.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
And Batman vs Superman just didn't compare i.m.o., after seemingly having forgotten to have fun here and there while telling it's story.
We instead get Eisenluthor giving us these stupid crazy moments where we are supposed to believe is them "having fun", and it just comes off as them trying to add humor to a humorless film. Just, no.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I loved it but having watched it a couple of times now its occurred to me that the MCU has reached a point where its becoming harder to introduce new viewers without them needing to see prior movies. I think they did a fair job of making this accessible to new viewers but there's a lot that really needs you to have seen the prior Captain America, Iron Man and Avengers movies to fully understand whats going on. Even seeing Ant-Man would help.

Its hard for me to tell because I've seen all the movies. I'd love to hear from someone who's introduction to the MCU was Civil War and how it worked as a stand alone film.