Review Cats (2019)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
0000.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie......

A tribe of cats called the Jellicles must decide yearly which one will ascend to the Heaviside Layer and come back to a new Jellicle life.

Last edited:

Sunflower007

Member: Rank 3
:emoji_grinning: ~ CATS will always be my first love for Broadway musicals. It was the very first play that I went to see with my family. At that time I was 7 years old. I loved:emoji_purple_heart: it so much. From the stage/scenery, performance & songs. Memory is my all-time favorite song & I constantly listen to it. I must admit this that I didn't understand the story of Grizabella right away but my Mother explained to me.

*~:emoji_cat:~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
:emoji_musical_score:

"Well you may not see me when you come back
I could be sharing someone else's pillow
And my love for you is better than diamonds
To you everything I bestow"

By: Mundy

Doctor Omega

“Cats” To Replace “Wicked” Next Christmas

cats-to-replace-wicked-next-christmas-696x464.jpg

Universal Pictures has pushed back its musical film adaptation of “Wicked” from its December 20th 2019 release. Instead they’ll be opening the Tom Hopper-directed adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Broadway stage musical “Cats” on that date.

“Cats” will go up against three major films releasing around the same time – J.J. Abrams’ “Star Wars: Episode IX,” Kenneth Branagh’s “Death on the Nile,” and the “Masters of the Universe” reboot at Sony. The “Wicked” delay is said to be to accommodate its production schedule.

This first cinematic take on “Cats” will star Taylor Swift, Jennifer Hudson, James Corden and Ian McKellen, while Lee Hall will pen the script. Webber is reportedly potentially writing a new song for the feature for Victoria, a perky white kitten. Production on “Cats” will reportedly begin at the end of this year in the UK.

Doctor Omega

Idris Elba To Play The “Cats” Villain

Idris Elba is reportedly in final negotiations to play Macavity, the ‘Napoleon of Crime’, in the upcoming film adaptation of the Andrew Lloyd Weber musical “Cats”.

Macavity is essentially the villain of the piece, a cat who pursues his own agenda including kidnap, and is the primary subject of two of the songs. Elba is expected to sing during one of them – ‘Macavity Fight’.

Elba is currently filming a role as the villain in the “Fast and Furious” spin-off film “Hobbs & Shaw”, and will reprise his titular role of John Luther in the fifth season of The BBC’s “Luther” which returns to screens near year’s end.

“Cats” also stars Jennifer Hudson as Grizabella, Ian McKellen as Old Deuteronomy and the likes of Taylor Swift, James Corden, Laurie Davidson, and Mette Towley. Tom Hooper directs from a script by Lee Hall with filming to begin later this year.

Doctor Omega

Cats
Australian dancer Steven McRae, principal dancer of The Royal Ballet, has joined the cast of Universal Pictures and Working Title’s “Cats” movie – taking on the role of Skimbleshanks in this adaptation of the Andrew Lloyd Webber stage musical opening December next year.
Skimbleshanks is an older ginger tabby cat who considers himself very important within the tribe. His main role is to work on the mail trains traveling at nighttime, which he considers a vital contribution to the Jellicles. Tom Hooper helms the film which also includes Taylor Swift, Jennifer Hudson, James Corden, Ian McKellan, Idris Elba, Judi Dench, Laurie Davidson, Francesca Hayward and Mette Towley.

Doctor Omega

quick-news-cats-prey-boy-jane-74-696x464.jpg

Cats

Universal and Working Title’s feature adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s hit musical “Cats” has started filming. The Tom Hooper-directed production is reportedly using a new technology to transform cast members into a vivid new vision of their characters.

The film stars Taylor Swift as Bombalurina, James Corden as Bustopher Jones, Jennifer Hudson as Grizabella, Dame Judi Dench as Old Deuteronomy, Jason Derulo as Rum Tum Tugger, Idris Elba as Macavity, Sir Ian McKellen as Gus, Rebel Wilson as Jennyanydots and Francesca Hayward as Victoria.

Doctor Omega

8kz0E3x.jpg

The most WTF film of the year, Tom Hopper follows up his solid screen adaptation of “Les Miserables” a few years back with this take on Andrew Lloyd Webber’s long-running but less well-respected “Cats”. The famed musical is set over a single night when a tribe of cats make what is known as “the Jellicle choice” and decide which cat will ascend to the Heaviside Layer and a new life. No-one is quite sure what the film’s final product will look like be it live-action, motion capture animated or something else. Whatever the case there’s a hell of an impressive cast including Jennifer Hudson, Judi Dench, Ian McKellen, Idris Elba, James Corden, and unexpectedly both Taylor Swift and Jason Derulo.

Doctor Omega

Universal Teases How “Cats” Was Done

universal-teases-how-cats-was-done-696x464.jpg

There’s a bunch of trepidation regarding the upcoming Tom Hooper-directed adaptation of the Broadway musical “Cats” which wrapped shooting this week.

While much of the criticism is people who simply aren’t fans of the original Andrew Lloyd Weber musical, some of the concern is in relation to the fact that it’s not clear what they’re doing with the movie.

Is it like the stage version with just people in skintight leotards and make-up? Is it a fully animated feature with only voice over? Is it an entirely motion-capture green screen style deal ala “The Adventures of Tintin”?

Now, as part of Universal Pictures’ presentation at CinemaCon, a featurette was screened explaining a little bit about what to expect. The answer – it’s mo-capped actors belting out numbers on gigantic sets.

No final footage from the film was shown, instead it was on-set footage in which Hooper revealed he’s using performance capture to make his actors look like they have real fur on them. Footage was seen of the actors, who reportedly studied cat movements, in mo-cap outfits and with facial reference dots performing their role.

Unlike most mo-cap though, this wasn’t done on a green screen stage but rather on physical sets that are three to four times the usual size for perspective – giving the actors ‘a cat’s eye view’. Huge chairs and tables were seen with actors running and dancing under them.

The plan is to combine the tech with ‘all disciplines of dance’ to offer a ‘rather modern’ take on the musical even whilst using the now decades old music numbers. Taylor Swift, Judi Dench, Idris Elba, Ian McKellen and Jennifer Hudson amongst others star in the film which opens at Christmas.