Review CATWEAZLE: THE HEAVENLY TWINS - Episode 16

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
nintchdbpict000323008575-e1494510097553.jpg 1280x720-BV5.jpg

Your thoughts on this episode....

It's Cedric's birthday and the magician The Great Verdanti is hired for the big party.
Catweazle meets him in the woods at the pond fishing.
Verdanti turns up for the party and is surprised that Catweazle is there and ropes him in as an assistant. Hilarity ensues as Catweazle has no concept of stage magic as different to his occult magic.
With Paul Eddington.

On to the next episode....

THE SIGN OF THE CRAB

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/catweazle-the-sign-of-the-crab-episode-17.4633/

Back to the previous episode.....

DUCK HALT

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/catweazle-duck-halt-episode-15.4629/

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Series 2 is much more humorous as this episode demonstrates. Paul Eddington as the magician Verdanti was very good. His initial banter with Catweazle was funny.
" it's my transistor (radio)"
" thou have entranced thy sister?"
You can see what's going to happen a mile off when Verdanti turns up at the party and thinks he's been double booked with Catweazle as the party entertainer. It was fun and really nothing much more to say than that.
Again a bit of coincidence as Verdanti uses heavenly twins in his routine which Catweazle grabs, but as Verdanti has a box of spares, I don't think he'll miss them.
I understand Catweazle 's angst at the end, his magic red bubble sinks to the floor. He may not understand balloons but at least Cedric could have given him one that floats.
" nothing ever works"
8/10

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
PART ONE:

A pleasantly enough set up jape, with Catweazle meeting a "real" modern day magician. Clearly this is leading up to Catweazle somehow gatecrashing the party in the second half, with comic calamities ensuing.

Gary Warren has settled somewhat into the role now and there is almost a chemistry between his and Bayldon's characters, but it still falls short in comparison to the easygoing dynamic of Carrot and Catweazle in series one.

One thing that stands out is Bayldon's total immersion in his character. He gives 100% continuously and well deserves the bust that was recently unveiled in his honour as a tribute to both himself and the Catweazle character.

As to this episode, the setting up is done and hopefully part two will make the most of the comic potential....

PART TWO:

Again, a pleasant enough wrap up to the tale, although I think the magician - if he had any sense - should, rather than getting angry, have actually hired Catweazle on the spot to be his permanent assistant by... well,just being Catweazle during his shows and entertainingly messing everything up on a regular basis.

Am still struggling with continuity....

Clearly Chancellor Thalia has assumed human form using a fobwatch, but why she has hired the Meddling Monk as a butler and married a descendent of the Cranleigh family is completely beyond me..

Overall, taken on it's own terms, I can now appreciate this alternate take on the Catweazle story for what it is.

GRADE B

Last edited:

Cloister56

Member: Rank 3
So this week it's Gemini which I cannot say without following it up by "I like to slurp it, bite it, slurp it, bite it"

Cedric is having a birthday party and after the failure of a projector his mother plans to employ a magician.

Turns out that magician is The Rt Hon The Lord Hacker of Islington, KG, PC, BSc

He's doing a bit of fishing and boosting his ministerial wage with a sideline in magic.
I've always wondered with magic how you get to learn it. A magician never reveals his tricks except to those in the magic circle, so how do you get in the magic circle? Is there an application process or do you have to learn basic tricks and then convince someone you have talent.

Catweazle seems to be staying less hidden in this series, I think it allows him to interact with more people and more hilarity to occur.
We learn that there is supposed to be a real treasure hidden about, a golden chalice. I think it would be cool if he turned Cedric one day stumbled across Tregard who could send him on a quest of the cup.

Again, a pleasant enough wrap up to the tale, although I think the magician - if he had any sense - should, rather than getting angry, have actually hired Catweazle on the spot to be his permanent assistant by... well,just being Catweazle during his shows and entertainingly messing everything up on a regular basis.
Yes I think judging by the crowds reaction it would be a popular act. Perhaps he realises this later and employs someone to do the same thing sparking a whole new genre of magical comedy.

So Catweazle acquires his Gemini in the form of two dolls. Cedric seemed to enjoy his party after all. Sadly Catweazle loses his helium balloon and gets a regular one filled with Cedric air, which fails to fly, poor Catweazle.

Clearly Chancellor Thalia has assumed human form using a fobwatch, but why she has hired the Meddling Monk as a butler and married a descendent of the Cranleigh family is completely beyond me..
Heh didn't recognise her but yes it does seem to be a popular residence for expats of Gallifrey.

Good episode, some chuckles and moved along quickly.

7 inquiries into Jim Hacker's non declared income, out of 10

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
So this week it's Gemini which I cannot say without following it up by "I like to slurp it, bite it, slurp it, bite it"

Cedric is having a birthday party and after the failure of a projector his mother plans to employ a magician.

Turns out that magician is The Rt Hon The Lord Hacker of Islington, KG, PC, BSc

He's doing a bit of fishing and boosting his ministerial wage with a sideline in magic.
I've always wondered with magic how you get to learn it. A magician never reveals his tricks except to those in the magic circle, so how do you get in the magic circle? Is there an application process or do you have to learn basic tricks and then convince someone you have talent.

Catweazle seems to be staying less hidden in this series, I think it allows him to interact with more people and more hilarity to occur.
We learn that there is supposed to be a real treasure hidden about, a golden chalice. I think it would be cool if he turned Cedric one day stumbled across Tregard who could send him on a quest of the cup.

Yes I think judging by the crowds reaction it would be a popular act. Perhaps he realises this later and employs someone to do the same thing sparking a whole new genre of magical comedy.

So Catweazle acquires his Gemini in the form of two dolls. Cedric seemed to enjoy his party after all. Sadly Catweazle loses his helium balloon and gets a regular one filled with Cedric air, which fails to fly, poor Catweazle.

Heh didn't recognise her but yes it does seem to be a popular residence for expats of Gallifrey.

Good episode, some chuckles and moved along quickly.

7 inquiries into Jim Hacker's non declared income, out of 10
Also Catweazle made a third time journey, this time with a space displacement and ended up on the planet Cloris, and eventually down a pit.
Touchwood seems not to have made the journey, unless he got devoured by the huge blob with the phallic protuberance. Poor Touchwood.