Review CATWEAZLE: THE WISDOM OF SOLOMON - Episode 12

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
nintchdbpict000323008575-e1494510097553.jpg MV5BMjU5YzJjYTQtNTg0MS00YzVlLTk2MGEtMWJiOWE2NzE3MTM3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg1MDYzNzI@._V1_.jpg

Your thoughts on this episode....

A really nasty new housekeeper and her son moves into the farm. Carrot is now back at school and Mrs Skinner is reluctantly hired. Carrot and the son Arthur don't get on. Catweazle offers a potion that if Carrot can get them to drink, will reveal their black hearts. Arthur has tittle-tattled on Carrot to his dad about the water tank hideout Castle Saburac, Catweazle is not discovered but is now homeless.

On to the next episode....

THE TRICKERY LANTERN

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/catweazle-the-trickery-lantern-episode-13.4627/

Back to the previous episode....

THE FLYING BROOMSTICKS

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/catweazle-the-flying-broomsticks-episode-11.4625/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Part One:

This seems much more promising as an episode.

Finally we have a mean-spirited antagonist in the shape of Arthur Skinner, threatening disruption and chaos to the status quo, although it seems unlikely that he will last more than the length of this episode. Perhaps the show needs more of this kind of antagonism; a series regular who must be thwarted at every turn, despite all their mean-spirited plans.

I did find Mrs Skinner's comment about her husband going off amusing. So obvious that he ran off with another woman, having had enough of this harpy.

I had completely forgotten that Carrot's first name was Eddie.

At the end of part one it is difficult to see how they will stop Arthur blabbing to Carrot's dad about Catweazle's base. I really hope that it is not simply resolved with a dose of hypnotism! Not two episodes in a row!

Oh well, on to part two!

Part Two:

Well, I much preferred that as a resolution. Patricia Hayes gives a great hysterical performance as she goes into outrage overdrive. And at least they avoided the hypnotism angle. And one could argue that it was not necessarily a magic potion. Perhaps Catweazle forgot to mention the more mind altering mushrooms that he put in the brew,

I don't like the new base for Catweazle, however. Hope Castle Saburac is not off-limits forever. I was actually surprised that Arthur had already done his blabbing at the start of part two and we were witnessing the aftermath.

Interesting ending to the episode too. Paving the way for Catweazle's return to his own time?

A much better episode i.m.o.

GRADE A

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Arthur Skinner, what an obnoxious kid, how Carrot refrained from punching his lights out I'll never know. And the creep swung touchwood around and called it a frog! B*****D!
Catweazle is now homeless, but possibly not for long as he's worked out that as he came to this time via water , that maybe water could be his route home. Patricia Hayes was good as a pretty horrid bossy boots, I almost felt sorry for Arthur being dragged off at the end with her.
Mr Bennett assessment of Mrs Skinner's cooking skills was funny.
Bennett. " what we had last night, now er. that was good"
Also liked,
Mrs Skinner ( to Bennett) " you'd have Arthur down the mines if you had your way.YOU BULLY"
8/10

Brimfin

Member: Rank 3
Well, you certainly can’t say that this episode didn’t advance the plot. Changes galore took place this week. For starters, school had started again and Carrot was busy with classes by day. And at night he had a case of “the Skinners”. “A plague?” asked Cat. “Sort of,” Carrot agreed. The Skinners were actually a mother and son team Dad had hired to watch the farm when they went away, but the young Arthur Skinner was a thorn in Edward’s side. Because of him, Carrot couldn’t sneak away to visit his friend. But when Carrot found Touchwood the toad wandering around the farm he had to get him back to CW. But first, he had to buy him back from Arthur who swiped it from right in front of him. He had to pay Arthur his telescope plus 10 bob. And then the little brat bragged about his sale to Mr. Bennet who now thought his son was daft!

In returning Touchwood to Catweazle, Carrot was followed by Arthur who then reported the hideout to his Dad. So Sam was ordered to plank off the old water tower forever. Fortunately, Catweazle had sneaked over to the house by then so he wasn’t boarded up in the tower or stranded from climbing back down. He is now residing in the loft on the farm, still a secret so far. Hope he had taken his book of magic with him.

In order to rid his friend of the plague of the Skinners, Cat offers a drink called “The Wisdom of Solomon” which forces the person who drinks it to reveal their innermost wicked thoughts. Carrot slips some in Mrs. Skinner’s juice but his Dad picks it up to drink after his milk had gone bad. Carrot tips his own juice over to delay the inevitable, but fortunately his Dad hesitates and Mrs. Skinner grabs it and guzzles it down to show that it’s harmless. Then she launches into a tirade about how she’s overworked and mistreated at the farm, causing Bennet to toss her out and she is happy to oblige. With the Skinners gone, Carrot moves Cat to the loft, but he slips and falls into a vat of water. Sam comes by but CW is miraculously able to make himself invisible just when Sam turns around in his direction. Thinking about it later he remembers that he was in water when he travelled forward in time just as he was when he made himself invisible. Water is one of the four elements – and may be his key to getting home!

Okay, so a lot of action and activity this week. But was it fun? I’ll have to admit I was a little disappointed in the way the whole Wisdom of Solomon worked out. The idea of forcing someone to tell the truth has lots of possibilities – BEWITCHED did it well in one episode. I was hoping he’d pour some in Arthur’s drink and expose him for the little brat he was. Then I was actually anticipating that maybe Mr. Bennet would drink it and tell Mrs. Skinner what he really thought. “Well, if you want the truth, Mrs. Skinner, your cooking is atrocious. I’ve never seen anyone who can mangle a simple meal in so many different fashions.” But the payoff of her just yelling at Mr. Bennet wasn’t really funny. You could almost feel sorry for her feeling so mistreated – even though we knew better. But at least that was one way to be “unSkinnered” by a Cat, and this time the wizard’s magic did no permanent damage. I’ll still give this one 6 fond farewells to Castle Saburac.

Cloister56

Member: Rank 3
So the long holiday is over at Carrot is back at school. I wondered when this change might occur, it does allow for new characters and new scenarios to enter the show.
Arthur is a decent antagonist. He does seem to have a big chip on his shoulder saying Carrot and his family are "high and mighty". I guess this is because his mother is in their employ. I hope at this point he becomes a recurring character. It would be good either to see him as a continuing antagonist or perhaps be brought into the Catweazle secret and slowly become friends with Carrot.
Arthur is great at appearing like the model boy to Carrot's dad and his mum. He seems polite and helps out on the farm.
So with a simple plank Castle Saburac is "blocked off". I am sure Catweazle could remove the plank but I guess now the location is under suspicion it's done as a hideout. It's a shame as I really liked the place. I think if I was in Arthur's shoes I would have thought it was an amazing hideout.
Mrs Skinner goes absolutely nuts when she drinks the orange juice. I did feel a bit sorry for Arthur during all this. I don't know how many employment opportunities are available for her and it must be quite an upheaval for him having to move each time. Perhaps most of the time the employers kids do lord it over him and he has developed this personality in response.
Then a very strange final scene with Catweazle appearing to appear and disappear after he falls into the water vat. From his reaction at the end was this him blinking in and out of time. It looks like he was invisible to Sam the whole time he was just stood there.
So changes are a foot. Carrot is at school and Catweazle is in the loft of the barn.

Decent episode but despite all the changes it felt a bit flimsy.

6 feet of plank required to block off a castle, out of 10