Review Children of the Stones

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
MV5BNjZlMDEyZmEtZTY1NC00NGZiLTgyZjItY2FiODYzZDAxMTEwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTgzMTg5Ng@@._V1_.jpg

Children of the Stones is a British television drama serial for children produced by HTV in 1976 and broadcast on the United Kingdom's ITV network in January and February 1977. The story was depicted over seven episodes and produced by Peter Graham Scott, with Patrick Dromgoole as executive producer. A novelisation by the serial's writers, Jeremy Burnham and Trevor Ray also appeared in 1977. In the United States, it was broadcast on the Nickelodeon television channel in the early 1980s as part of the series The Third Eye.[1]

The series is today considered a landmark in quality children's drama and has been called "the scariest programme ever made for children".

Episodes
  1. Into the Circle (TX: 10 January 1977)
  2. Circle of Fear (TX: 17 January 1977)
  3. Serpent in the Circle (TX: 24 January 1977)
  4. Narrowing Circle (TX: 31 January 1977)
  5. Charmed Circle (TX: 7 February 1977)
  6. Squaring the Circle (TX: 14 February 1977)
  7. Full Circle (TX: 21 February 1977)
Episodes were broadcast at 16:45 on Mondays each week.

The series was repeated by ITV from 21 July 1978 – 1 September 1978, at 16:15. Since then the show has not been broadcast in its entirety on UK television, either terrestrial or satellite.

Critical reception

Children of the Stones has been almost universally praised as an outstanding children's series. Comedian Stewart Lee commended the series in the 2007 BBC Four series Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe. Lee commented on depictions of teenagers on television in different decades, contrasting Children of the Stones with Channel 4's modern drama Skins, highlighting how Children of the Stones was still relevant to a modern audience. Several clips of the story were shown. In 2012 Lee narrated a documentary on the series for BBC Radio Four. It was introduced as "the scariest programme ever made for children", highlighting the eerie music and commenting that it was "the most inappropriate theme music ever used for a children's series." Among the interviewees were actors Gareth Thomas and Katharine Levy who both gave credit for the high quality of the scripts. Levy said that the finished programme surpassed all of their expectations and still stands up well today. Writer Jeremy Burnham stated that although it was only seven episodes, the series has stayed with him ever since due to the fans' interest.

Sequel

A sequel, Return to the Stones by Jeremy Burnham and Trevor Ray, was published as a Kindle e-book in Nov 2012[11] followed by the hardback edition on 8 July 2013.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Retu...88257603&sr=8-1&keywords=return+to+the+stones

...although this has yet to be adapted...

Last edited:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I have the TV series on DVD. It had its ups and downs in quality, but overall it was entertaining. I mostly enjoyed it.

However, I was disappointed that none of the stones turned out to be an Ogri... :emoji_disappointed:

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
I enjoyed this despite it being a bit hit and miss. It tried too hard to be a bit of everything, Sci Fi, horror, occult, and ended up in a confusing timewarp story. I'll certainly try to get the follow up book.
A similarly weird teenage Sci fi show from roughly the same time is "SKY" written by Bob Baker and Dave Martin of Dr Who fame. Worth checking out.

ant-mac

I enjoyed this despite it being a bit hit and miss. It tried too hard to be a bit of everything, Sci Fi, horror, occult, and ended up in a confusing timewarp story. I'll certainly try to get the follow up book.
A similarly weird teenage Sci fi show from roughly the same time is "SKY" written by Bob Baker and Dave Martin of Dr Who fame. Worth checking out.
SKY rings a very vague bell...

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
SKY is available on youtube.
It concerns a weird teenager, with bleach blonde hair and Royal Blue eyes from the distant future arriving on present day Earth and is befriended by farm folk. A killer from the future is sent after him.
It's some time since I've seen it but I do remember scenes of plant life reacting to Sky's presence and attacking him and the performances of the starring kids pretty good.

ant-mac

There have been some good SF TV series over the years featuring child actors. CHOCKY, TRIPODS and a couple of others. Of course, I haven't seen some of them since I was a child - or at least a teenage - myself.

I recently re-watched the first serial of THE TOMORROW PEOPLE - also on YouTube - and whilst I basically enjoyed it, it did still come as quite a shock. It wasn't quite as cutting edge or gripping as I remembered. Mind you, the opening credits and theme music is still just as excellent as I remembered that it was.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Alan Garner's The Owl Service was amazing - I'd hate to revisit it and find I'd grown apart from the memories.
Same with Ace of Wands, which was superb.

I have been back to The Singing Ringing Tree - an actual big screen showing, which amazed my by being in colour! When the Beeb showed it in my cherub infancy, we still had a black-and-white TV. Utterly terrifying!

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I'm currently rewatching Children of The Stones for the first time in twelve years! I remember it from childhood and I'm sure it was repeated but according to Gareth Thomas it wasn't! I've got the Second Sight DVD but there is a Network version which is without the interviews on the other disc! Does anyone know which disc is of the best quality?
JB

ant-mac

I'm currently rewatching Children of The Stones for the first time in twelve years! I remember it from childhood and I'm sure it was repeated but according to Gareth Thomas it wasn't! I've got the Second Sight DVD but there is a Network version which is without the interviews on the other disc! Does anyone know which disc is of the best quality?
JB
I'm sorry, but I can't help you there.

I own the version released by Acorn Media. It's on a single disc, with a photo gallery and production notes.

As for quality, I grew up with analogue TV and grew up in various areas of Australia were signal reception was questionable or sometimes non-existent. So as far as digital TV andDVDs are concerned, I think they're both excellent. I don't see what all the fuss is about with Blu-ray and 4K and all that other bullshit.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Yeah, I think I get a smashing picture on my old portable TV of the Space 1999 Network DVDs! I really can't see how they could be 'that' improved! Is the Acorn Media version an Australian release?
JB

ant-mac

Yeah, I think I get a smashing picture on my old portable TV of the Space 1999 Network DVDs! I really can't see how they could be 'that' improved! Is the Acorn Media version an Australian release?
JB
I'm not sure.

I'm more interested in what I'm buying, not who's releasing it.

I pay more attention to runtime and episode count, to make sure it hasn't been censored or edited.

Doctor Omega

Sequel

A sequel, Return to the Stones by Jeremy Burnham and Trevor Ray, was published as a Kindle e-book in Nov 2012[11] followed by the hardback edition on 8 July 2013.

51vkwaKmwnL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Twenty-five years after the terrifying events at Milbury, Matthew Brake returns to the English village, this time with his own son Tom.

Having followed his father’s footsteps and become a Professor of Astrophysics, he has never been back to Milbury, even though his father Adam lives in the Manor House and has assured him that all is well in the village. But now he is about to take Tom on his first visit to England.

It turns out, however, that all is far from well. Soon after their arrival, Adam, Matthew and Tom are plunged into a new nightmare…

Return to the Stones is a brand new sequel to the cult 1970s television series Children of the Stones, published here for the first time.

Doctor Omega

Helen Oakleigh interviews Gareth Thomas star of Blake 7, RSC, Children of The Stones and much more!

Helen Oakleigh interviews Gareth Thomas in an impromptu interview after directing him in the audio book of The Children of the Stones and having so much fun decided to share some of the fun on set stories! Unedited version- enjoy. Oakleigh says, "It was a joy to work with Gareth Thomas and it is incredibly sad to hear he has passed away so soon after recording this. Love and thoughts to his family, friends and all who knew him or enjoyed his work. XXX"