Review Columbo (1968)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
A classic show, about a brilliant character, played by a superlative actor.

And for God's sake Hollywood, don't even ever attempt a remake/reboot/re-imagining, in any shape or form. It will fail.

Doctor Omega

I had a little look around to see if there were any rumblings about a remake....

And, from early 2016, found this........

Doctor Omega

I think that Mark Ruffalo could play a nice, likeable, easygoing detective character with a different name. Just don't follow Peter Falk in the role of Columbo. And, I can't see them daring to have him in the iconic raincoat, as it would surely invite comparisons and ridicule so why bother doing a retread at all?

Doctor Omega

And then there was this.....

During the first season the show was mostly called Mrs. Columbo. The title was changed to "Kate Loves Mystery" for the second season due to constant complaints from Falk fans. In the second season all Columbo references were removed. Kate is now divorced and has her maiden name Callahan again (I wonder if the chosen new name was an oblivious but awesome coincidence or an intentional reference), lives in San Fernando and works for a new local paper.

A 1979 station ID for Detroit's WDIV leads into the opening moments of "Kate Loves A Mystery", starring Kate Mulgrew as Kate Columbo. The show was in fact also known at different times as "Mrs. Columbo" and "Kate Columbo". In this particular episode she is joined by another future member of the "Star Trek" universe, Rene Auberjonois.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Peter Falk’s Hilarious Acceptance Speech for COLUMBO | Emmys Archive (1972)

Peter Falk explains, in great detail, what it took for him to make it to the 1974 ceremony to collect his award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series.