Fun Just... Comics

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
All I had to go on, back then, was the SEA MONKEYS advert above....

Consequently, they were a mysterious thing that seemed to not exist in the UK.

Doctor Omega

We mustn't forget the above "CLASS SERIES" comics, which were a big part of my reading youth, as much as DC, MARVEL and 2000AD/FLEETWAY comics were.

They also used to reprint them in DOCTOR WHO WEEKLY as the fourth Doctor's "TIME TALES". Cheapskates!

I remember the page count being pretty good in these things, although they were always black and white.

Doctor Omega

Yes, I loved these horror anthology titles as much as I did the DC ones and they all - along with the Amicus movies - (and the PAN BOOKS OF HORROR STORIES etc) fed my love of the creepy anthology format.

Doctor Omega

In the uk we tended to have Skywalds as specific reprinted titles for the UK, with a British cover price and no mention of Skywald on the cover.....

They would get cancelled after two or three issues......

s-l1600.jpg

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Thanks for that, Doc. That article was great, and I do remember seeing a few of those titles growing up. My folks didn't buy them, but I knew others who had a few stashed away. I don't think I have ever heard of Eerie Publications, but I just might have to seek some of those out. They had me at "sleezy horror".

As far as DC, they had quite a few, the most popular being House of Secrets and House of Mystery. When I started reading HOM, it was during the period where the house's caretakers were brothers Cain and Able. In the 90s, DC brought it back in a more mature version for their Vertigo imprint, and while bringing good horror stories, it lacked the humor and charm of the older title. Recently, the House has become the home of John Constantine, and was used as a base of operations for the Justice League Dark. It really great, but I do wish they could go back to publishing some horror titles similar to what they did in the 60s and 70s.

Doctor Omega

Yes, I loved the old Cain and Able format. Elvira took over for a stint too, I recall. Didn't know about all the John Constantine/Justice League Dark shenanigans though!

chainsaw_metal1

Justice League Dark was born during the time of the New 52 (they haven't done anything with any of it since the Rebirth, as far as I know, but I believe it's being used somewhat in the new season of Legends). Constantine, Zatarra, Swamp Thing and others, all dealing with the magical and demonic forces that are beyond the capabilities of the regular JL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League_Dark

There was also an animated feature, which included Batman as a way to tie it all together, because Batman.

chainsaw_metal1

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2019/2/14/18220816/the-crow-iris-flesh-and-blood

I won't be as callous as most males were in the comments of this article, but I do think that the author is raising the level of the story at hand because both she and the protagonist of the book are women. Nothing can ever top James O'Barr's original book. That's an undisputed fact. Every time I read that graphic novel, I feel every emotion there is. This isn't because the hero is a white male, but because it's a well-written, compelling story. I have read The Crow: Flesh and Blood, and it is a very good story. But it's not more compelling because she was a woman, or because she's not only getting revenge for her, but also her unborn child. Yes, it's a noble crusade to come back from the dead for. But did the author not read - or simply ignore - The Crow: Dead Time? The hero of that tale was a Native American who was murdered by a gang of criminals, only to come back 100 years later to avenge himself by killing their descendants who were reincarnated versions of them (kind of strange, but kind of cool)? Is that story less compelling?

Doctor Omega

The New “Godzilla” Gets A Prequel Comic

the-new-godzilla-gets-a-prequel-comic-696x464.jpg

Ahead of the film’s release on May 31st, the upcoming monster movie mash “Godzilla: King of the Monsters” will be getting a 112-page comic book prequel that will introduce a brand new titan that Godzilla had to contend with between the films.

Titled “Godzilla: Aftershock,” the story follows Monarch operative Dr. Emma Russell (Vera Farmiga in the film) as a tragedy of apocalyptic proportions from the distant past that changed the course of human history is returning to threaten it once more.

A shadowy figure stalks her every move as she travels the globe to uncover secrets, while Godzilla clashes in an ancient rivalry as old as the earth itself. It’s not clear who this new titan will be.

The comic, penned by Arvid Nelson, is said to be officially a part of the canon of the MonsterVerse that began with. 2014’s “Godzilla” reboot, continued with 2017’s “Kong: Skull Island” and will seemingly end with next year’s “Godzilla vs. Kong”.