Review Comrades, Almost a Love Story

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
A review of one of my all-time favorite films, Comrades, Almost a Love Story.

Previous review:
2/13: A Tale of Two Sisters

------------------------------------------------------
Comrades, Almost a Love Story (1996)
Directed by Peter Chan
Starring Maggie Cheung, Leon Lai, Eric Tsang
In Cantonese with English subtitles
Film: 5 stars (out of 5)

Comrades, Almost a Love Story is one of my all-time favorite movies, of any genre. It is hard to express just how wonderful and moving this romance is. Enough to touch even the most jaded and cynical of hearts.

Comrades swept award after award upon its Hong Kong release. For example, see the list for the Hong Kong Film Awards: Best Picture, Best Screenplay, Best Director (Peter Chan), Best Actress (Maggie Cheung), Best Supporting Actor (Eric Tsang). Plus Best Art Direction, Cinematography, Costume & Make-up Design, and Score.

The story covers a 10-year span. In 1986, Li Jun (played by Leon Lai) arrives in Hong Kong right off the proverbial turnip truck. He’s a Mainlander from some rural community up north. He has come to Hong Kong to make some money in order to eventually bring his fiancée down and get married. This task is made difficult because he is rather naive and more importantly, doesn’t speak a word of Cantonese. His best hope is to work menial jobs until he can learn the language and better his circumstances.

One day he goes into a McDonald’s to pantomime his way into ordering a hamburger. The cashier, Li Qiao (Maggie Cheung), is arrogantly frustrated with his inability to speak Cantonese and tells him he’d better get with the program because in the hustling capitalism of Hong Kong, people like him don’t stand much of a chance. He is drawn to her because she can speak to him in Mandarin and she is very cute. “Are you from the Mainland, too?” he asks. “Of course not!” she says. (It’s hard to move up in HK with that stigma attached.)

Anyway, they end up spending time together. She steers him toward an English language class. Out of friendship? Well, not really, because she gets a cut ($$) for every Mainlander she delivers. She also has him running errands and such for her.

They grow closer. At one point she confesses that she too is from the Mainland (but from nearby Guangzhou Province, not from up north hicksville). He replies “I’ve pretty much known that all along.”

“They why did you let me take advantage of you?”

“I needed a friend and you’re the only one I have.”

They become lovers of convenience and proximity. He still loves his fiancée and sends her letters, but she is distant and Li Qiao is near.

So far, this is the first half hour of the film. How it plays out from here is the magic of this movie. The backdrop of the next 10 years is the ever-changing Hong Kong as it prepares for the 1997 handover. Fortunes made, fortunes lost. Li Qiao and Li Jun go their separate ways, but find themselves back in each other’s lives from time to time. She meets someone else and he ends up marrying his fiancée. But still their feelings for each other can never be suppressed entirely.

I hope I have not made this seem like a typical boy-meets-girl romance. It is so much more than that, and yet without all the trappings you might expect from a big-budget Hollywood film. There are no wisecracking sidekicks, no cute kids making fools out of the adults, no slapsticky miscommunications. Just these two wonderfully engaging people and the lives they lead and the difficult choices they make.

I know I am a romantic softie. A number of movies cause my eyes to get all misty. I’ve seen Comrades at least 7 times and I still get leaky. I know what happens, I know how it ends – there are no plot surprises. Yet every time I watch it I can’t help but be absorbed by the acting, the pacing, and the emotional impact of the story of these two people.

It’s criminal that the only English-friendly version of this film on DVD is a Mei Ah cheapie. Burnt-in subs, no extras. The DVD does not even have a menu. The movie screams out for a remaster, removable subtitles, and wide U.S. release. [Edited to add: Remastered DVDs to be released in Hong Kong and Korea this month!] . Do yourself a favor and put this at the top of your NetFlix queue.

Last edited:

Zelena

Member: Rank 2
Nice write up, spot on. Absolutely great film. I'd say it's the best ever made in Hong Kong, since 2046 is too international to count. What stuck with me from this was always the lovable dorkiness of Maggie Cheung in a McDonalds uniform. The uniform is just so uncool it makes her look like a scowling kitten under a wrecking ball, the sympathy comes easy.

plsletitrain

Member: Rank 5
@sitenoise. Yeah, the production values are a bit of, a turn-off. I checked on some clips on youtube and they were..erm.... *scratches head* But @divemaster13's review is kinda a turn-on, especially on the "...go their separate ways" part. And he makes it sound like the romance was well-developed, not contrived. I think I'll watch it........if you watch it first! lol. Jk. Okay let's watch this and post our thoughts about it. (Question is, who's gonna bail out first?)

divemaster13

I think I'll watch it........if you watch it first! lol. Jk.
Geeze! Flip a coin and the loser has to watch it?! LOL.

It might not be for everyone. But it did win just about every award in the book. It's the type of movie that hits me right in my wheelhouse, so to speak. Fair enough if it doesn't strike others in exactly the same way.

I would be interested in further discussion if you watch it, even if you chime back in to pan it. But give it a fair shot. Random YouTube clips would do any movie a disservice; this one especially I would think.

sitenoise

Well, you made it newly appealing with the relationship description (really ... I sort of felt my heart mumble just reading it), then @plsletitrain pegged it with her highlight ... I'm gonna go for it!

plsletitrain

^I'll take that to mean that @sitenoise loves the film so much he can't find the words to express himself.

I've just finished watching it and what do I know, there's actually a movie made for me! lol. I've always had some stigma against happy endings in love stories. Yeah, I'm a grumpy old man. But it's not saying that the movie didn't have it, its just that in a span of almost two hours, the story was perfectly told in a way that will crumple your heart into pieces because of....circumstances. I was right when I said it sounds like it wasn't a contrived romance, and it felt that way. It was convincingly real. And movies with realistic touches are a plus in my books.

I love the film, I think this will make my top best romance films of all time. I think what made people cry in this is the sad music that screams "My life is miserable". And Maggie Cheung's facial expressions are just perfect for the misery they've all gotten into. The guy, not so much. He looked constipated in some scenes. I would've wished the movie ended on the 1:45 mark but oh well, the last scene was forgivable. Yeah, did I say I love Maggie Cheung's character?

This movie is a gem, why haven't this been mentioned before?? I blame sitenoise. lol. Or zelena, they didn't tell me this movie exists.

The one that got away..................not.

This movie is just so sad, I don't know how many times I hid my eyes lest someone sees me crying. And I don't know how many times I felt the difficulty of being in the characters' shoes. Wow, talk about how a movie affects me. Especially when Eric Tsang said "Don't worry about me, I'm old, go find yourself another guy." It was torture for me. Hopefully I can find a copy of Apocalypse Meow to rinse away the sadness.

divemaster13

I love the film, I think this will make my top best romance films of all time....

This movie is a gem, why haven't this been mentioned before?? I blame sitenoise. lol. Or zelena, they didn't tell me this movie exists.

The one that got away..................not.

This movie is just so sad, I don't know how many times I hid my eyes lest someone sees me crying. And I don't know how many times I felt the difficulty of being in the characters' shoes. Wow, talk about how a movie affects me. Especially when Eric Tsang said "Don't worry about me, I'm old, go find yourself another guy." It was torture for me.
My work here is done.

:)

sitenoise

When Opie wrote to his soon to be ex and said "Xiao Ting, it broke my heart too", that was the best. Like it made the fuck-buddying okay. Good thing Xiao Ting was a tossaway or that wouldn't have worked.

Maggie doesn't need her face to express. Her first good moment, at the end of the very-awkward-not-because-it-was-supposed-to-be-awkward double coat button up, when she expressed 'okay, we're gonna kiss', she did it with her neck. Neck-acting! Not many actors can do that. Her first good scene, the lovely walk down the street after Opie bought her and Xiao Ting bracelets, gave me hope she was done trying to spice up her busy-on-the-go character development with gum chewing, floor mopping, window washing, and eating-acting, etc. But there was that drumstick scene later, and others. Pro tip: Maggie, stick to drama, comedy's not your thing.

The film has "Classic" written all over it. My problem with Classic is that it often comes off as an exercise in obvious, gun-on-the-table film making. The shot of the guy from Game of Thrones's gold bracelet on the table when Maggie returned to the apartment is a good example. The framing of it, the length of it. Did Brian De Palma shoot that? It had to be long enough so we'd ponder its possibilities and then let it telegraph its emergence from a back pocket later on.

This thing fell out of the tree of things I don't like and hit every branch on the way down. hide1.gif I agree with my comrades that the very organic nature of the romance was wonderful. And Maggie, when she set aside the distractions and let us peer into her soul, is divine.

plsletitrain

The film has "Classic" written all over it. My problem with Classic is that it often comes off as an exercise in obvious, gun-on-the-table film making. The shot of the guy from Game of Thrones's gold bracelet on the table when Maggie returned to the apartment is a good example. The framing of it, the length of it. Did Brian De Palma shoot that? It had to be long enough so we'd ponder its possibilities and then let it telegraph its emergence from a back pocket later on.
Well you're quick to have guessed that but it never occurred to me. What I like about it is the opposite of what you just wrote, it wasn't an obvious gun-on-the-table thing. Or I'm just too dumb to figure it out. lol. No not really, but yeah...I never would've guessed 80% of the events here. The 20% predictability I can forgive. What I can't forgive is that scene in the end when she's tailing the guy, they're like, a meter apart and she never bothers to call. And now that they're in a busy street, she decides to call his name. Classic......error.

sitenoise

I blame sitenoise. lol. Or zelena, they didn't tell me this movie exists.
Comrade Z reviewed it a while back, a re-watch. And has mentioned it on occasion. I tried to watch it each time he did. But I've almost completely scratched Hong Kong off my East Asian Film list. The beginning of the film looks bad. And then there's all the gimmicking. And the Hong Kong dubbing. I don't like dubbing, even if it's by the same actor in the same language, unless it's Apocalypse Meow level dubbing. When Maggie finally arrived on the boat and Game of Thrones turns around and screams "Hey wtf?", it was like it came from a tool shed down the street and he was just pantomiming it.

Sounds like for you the film was mostly exquisite with a couple blemishes. For me it was mostly cringe worthy with a handful of Maggie.

divemaster13

Maggie doesn't need her face to express. Her first good moment, at the end of the very-awkward-not-because-it-was-supposed-to-be-awkward double coat button up...
I won't quibble with anything else you wrote, b/c that's a matter of opinion and taste, and we all differ. But I absolutely think this was supposed to be an (obviously) awkward scene. I don't see these two as falling into the sack on a moment's notice and the awkwardness of this scene rang true to me. And obviously, I had no problem losing myself to the film, so that the things you mentioned as distractions for you never came on my radar at all. I can forgive a lot in a movie as long as I like the characters and the internal logic holds, but I still don't find myself having to "forgive" anything here.

I would've wished the movie ended on the 1:45 mark but oh well, the last scene was forgivable. Yeah, did I say I love Maggie Cheung's character?
Oh, God. If the movie ended there, I think I would have just died inside. Just missing by seconds? Her longing...her despair...and his obliviousness. I loved the almost-final scene and the way it was underplayed. They didn't rush into each other's arms and start macking on each other. Just...those looks. And, yeah, I even loved the book-end final-final scene.

I'll post a new review every Monday. At least until I run out. I used to review for a few sites, including Sensasian. They'd send me a disc and I'd give them a review. Most of the sites I worked for are defunct, I believe.

Next Monday's will be for a movie I really did not like at all. It was fun to write. :)

plsletitrain

Oh, God. If the movie ended there, I think I would have just died inside. Just missing by seconds?
Well if it DID end there, I would've been the only one satisfied. But then that would also be a classic unforgivable mistake of having a very shallow excuse for a sad ending so....

You can also post your other reviews on the Recently Seen Thread.

sitenoise

My work here is done.
You've gone where no man or woman has gone before. You got me to watch the film. My instincts are usually pretty good when it comes to what I'm going to like and what I'm not. It was the personal touches in your review that got me. I find that kind of thing much more easy to work with. So keep them coming.