Review Comrades, Almost a Love Story

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
I just checked YesAsia...and re-mastered DVDs for Comrades, Almost a Love Story are being released this month! Finally! Both in HK and Korea. I'll get my order in once I can figure out DVD extras and whatnot.

Those of you who liked this film should also check out An Autumn's Tale (starring Chow Yun-fat). It's one of my favorite HK romance films, and just like Comrades, it takes place in New York City.
An Autumn's Tale
An Autumn's Tale has been added to your Netflix Queue
Availability: Unknown :(

(Maybe I'll just buy it)

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
Just had a look at the Bluray (rip) of this. It's a different film. Not going to rewatch it unless I find myself in the company of someone who should see it, but for those interested, check it out.

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
Finally caught up with Comrades: Almost a Love Story. I really liked it, but think that the key strength is clearly in the first hour. There was this real symbiotic quality to their relationship, yet it didn’t come across as destructive in a way that such relationships are typically portrayed in film – it would be hard not to be charmed by these two wonderful characters bumbling their way through life full of flaws, but not movie-character flaws, just normal-people flaws. I won’t say it was less interesting, but I found the second half not as captivating as the first. The film turns from this small, intimate drama into something broad and sweeping - it kind of went through a sharpish change of perspective, going from looking closely at the little details to dot-pointing a big picture. I got this kind of feel that the film had been based on a novel, the second half of which needed to be compressed to fit with the feature film format. But nevertheless, it really was a wonderful film overall.