Review Dark Matter (2015)

Michael9

Member: Rank 1
Dark Matter

A group of six people awaken in stasis pods with amnesia aboard a starship called the Raza. They have no memories of their identities or their lives before awakening, so they assume the names One through Six, in the order in which they left stasis. They stabilize their vessel and set about trying to determine who they are and what happened to them.

Creators of the series are Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie from Stargate fame.

Reason to watch: its campy, its scifi and it uses its limited resources typical to Canadian scifi shows well
to entertain an hour a week. Where it misses the polish of SG or Star Trek, it adds heart, and sometimes wacky humor. Without spoilers, the seasons 1,2 and 3 are quite different to each other and I look forward to see the full five seasons planned come to fruition.

And yes, Number Two is gorgeous, but nevertheless she fits in the ensemble. If you like scifi and can't wait until ST:Discovery shows up in autumn, this is the summer fix.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
  • “Dark Matter” Cancelled By Syfy

dark-matter-cancelled-by-syfy-696x464.jpg

While “Killjoys” scored a double season renewal, its sister show “Dark Matter” launched at the same time has not been so lucky.

Deadline reports that Syfy has cancelled the sci-fi drama after three seasons due to low ratings. The show, from “Stargate SG-1” alum Joseph Mallozzi, follows the crew of a derelict spaceship who awake with no memory and who must work together to survive a hostile universe.

Melissa O’Neil, Anthony Lemke, Alex Mallari Jr, Jodelle Ferland, Roger Cross, Marc Bendavid and Zoie Palmer co-starred in the series which just aired its third season finale last week.

Mallozzi has released an official statement on his website:

“It is with great sadness that I confirm the news. Syfy has cancelled Dark Matter after three seasons. To say that I’m incredibly disappointed would be an understatement.

I’ll save my comments and field your questions in a future blog entry. For today, I just want to extend a heartfelt thanks to my amazing crew, my wonderful cast, and to all of you, our incredible fans.”

The first two seasons are currently available to stream on Netflix.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Financials Caused “Dark Matter” Cancellation

financials-caused-dark-matter-cancellation-696x464.jpg

Last week came the news that sci-fi series “Dark Matter” had been cancelled by Syfy after three seasons, despite ending on a cliffhanger.

In a new posting on his blog, series creator Joseph Mallozzi has written to the fans of the show saying the actual cause of the cancellation comes down to money and rights:

“Working against us was the fact that we weren’t a SyFy original. We were an acquisition. For those not in the know, an original is a series that is developed by the network and, more importantly, owned by the network, allowing them to monetize the show through things like international sales, streaming, etc. The network pays a lot more but presumably reaps the benefits down the line.”

Networks, both regular and cable, have been pushing very hard in recent years to develop their shows ‘in house’ rather than acquire them from outside production companies so as to take advantage of revenue from licensing to streaming services or releasing them on their own.

Mallozzi says that while ratings had fallen a bit since the second season, it was by under 10% as opposed to the industry average of a 25% drop off from season to season. With delayed viewing figures, the series was also one of Syfy’s most watched shows in 2017.

Sadly his five-year plan for the show will not come to fruition, and he says the network wouldn’t consider a pitch for a six-episode final season to wrap up the third season cliffhanger. Mallozzi is currently trying to see if another network would be willing to step in and save the show.

The third and apparent final season will be hitting Netlix on September 25th.

Michael9

Member: Rank 1
I still sad about that. I traveled a lot this summer and I rewatched Stargate Atlantis on the road. This show reminded me a lot the first season of it. The team chemistry was pure gold, only surpassed by Farscape in the last season.

I can only hope we get closure after the huge cliffhanger, in any form. I would buy a book or comic or whatever. Two years shouldn't so hard to tell in different form. Even Stargate has now some sort of continuation in form of comic books.