Review Dark Phoenix (2019)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
MV5BZWUyMWVlMjEtNjRkYS00YjNlLThmODItYzc1MTQ5NzBiOGM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjY5NDczMTk@._V1_.jpg

Your thoughts on this upcoming movie.....

Jean Grey begins to develop incredible powers that corrupt and turn her into a Dark Phoenix. Now the X-Men will have to decide if the life of a team member is worth more than all the people living in the world.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Dazzler Confirmed For “X-Men: Dark Phoenix”

dazzler-confirmed-for-x-men-dark-phoenix-696x464.jpg

It has been confirmed that the character of Alison Blaire, aka. Dazzler, will be a part of next year’s “X-Men: Dark Phoenix” film according to EW.

Teased in a deleted scene from “X-Men: Apocalypse” where the young mutants held up a record cover with her in character as the singer on the album, the appearance is not unexpected.

Taylor Swift was rumored for the part in ‘Apocalypse’ following a cryptic tweet and a photo from her visiting the set, but she will NOT be playing the part in the new film.

In the comics, Dazzler has the ability to generate fantastic display of light and uses them to support her music career.

Simon Kinberg will write and direct the film which brings back Michael Fassbender (Magneto), Jennifer Lawrence (Mystique), Nicholas Hoult (Beast), Sophie Turner (Jean Grey), Alexandra Shipp (Storm), Tye Sheridan (Cyclops), and Kodi Smit-McPhee (Nightcrawler) and adds Jessica Chastain as the villain, the Shi’ar Empiress Lilandra.

Lilandra leads an alien race that is in search of and eager to eradicate the Phoenix Force which can be found within Jean Grey. “X-Men: Dark Phoenix” is set to open in theaters on November 2nd next year.

Doctor Omega

“X-Men: Dark Phoenix” First Cast Photo

x-men-dark-phoenix-first-cast-photo-696x464.jpg

Actor James McAvoy has posted a new cast photo from 20th Century Fox’s “X-Men: Dark Phoenix” online. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau makes a cameo in the photo which comes ahead of production kicking off shortly on the upcoming sequel.

Simon Kinberg helms this fourth installment in Fox’s “X-Men” prequel film series which began with “X-Men: First Class”. This one, set in the 1990s, sees Jessica Chastain playing the villain – the Shi’ar Empire leader Lilandra Neramani who seeks the Dark Phoenix power.

Kodi Smit-McPhee, McAvoy, Sophie Turner, Alexandra Shipp and Tye Sheridan appear alongside Trudeau, Kinberg, and franchise producer Hutch Parker. Filming is slated to begin later this year.

Doctor Omega

Evan Peters Returns For “X-Men: Dark Phoenix”

evan-peters-returns-for-x-men-dark-phoenix-696x464.jpg

Previously left out of cast lists and the set photo the other day, it has now been confirmed that Evan Peters will reprise his role of speedy mutant Quicksilver in the upcoming “X-Men: Dark Phoenix”.

Additionally Lamar Johnson (“The Next Step”) is joining the cast in an unspecified role. Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy and Nicholas Hoult, Sophie Turner, Alexandra Shipp, Tye Sheridan and Kodi Smit-McPhee all star.

Shooting on the new film kicks off in Montreal this week under the helm of Simon Kinberg. The film is slated to open November 2nd 2018.

Doctor Omega

Lawrence Returned To “X-Men” For The Fans

lawrence-returned-to-x-men-for-the-fans-696x464.jpg

With “X-Men: Apocalypse,” the ‘First Class’ cast finished up their contracts and so were under no obligation to return. To their credit, almost all of them have for the upcoming “X-Men: Dark Phoenix” currently in production.

One such returnee is Jennifer Lawrence who surprised when she revealed she would be back as the shape-shifting mutant Mystique. Speaking with Digital Spy, Lawrence explained by she decided to return:

“My contract was up, I didn’t have to do another one, but if I didn’t do another one, what would her story be? I felt like I owed it to the fans, and I owed it to the character to follow her journey, to be fair to the movies, and not be like, ‘I don’t want to do another X-Men!’ And then I just never show up and everyone’s very confused about the Mystique they’ve been following for the last three films.”

Lawrence will be seen on screens next week with Darren Aronofsky’s insane sounding “mother!” hitting screens next Friday.

Doctor Omega

“Deadpool 2,” “Dark Phoenix” Wrap Production

Following on from the release of the first trailer for the “X-Men” spin-off “The New Mutants” this week, the other two “X-Men” movies due in cinemas have reportedly wrapped principal photography.

A few hours ago, director Simon Kinberg took to Instagram to announce that filming is done on “X-Men: Dark Phoenix”. Kinberg also posted a photo from behind the scenes on the set of Xavier’s School. The film is slated to open November 2nd.

Meanwhile screenwriter Rhett Reese and actor Ryan Reynolds has revealed that filming has wrapped on the “Deadpool” sequel which has been shooting in Vancouver (‘Dark Phoenix’ has been based in Montreal).

Reynolds continues his and Josh Brolin’s friendly banter, saying in his post: “I’ve decided to continue shooting the film in my underwear from Josh Brolin’s well appointed living room.” The film, which doesn’t yet have an official title, opens June 1st.

Doctor Omega

Rose Byrne Not Back For “Dark Phoenix”

rose-byrne-not-back-for-dark-phoenix-696x464.jpg

Rose Byrne has confirmed she won’t be reprising her role of Moira MacTaggert in Simon Kinberg’s upcoming “X-Men: Dark Phoenix”.

James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult, Tye Sheridan, Evan Peters and Sophie Turner are all returning for the new entry, however Byrne (who appeared in both ‘First Class’ and ‘Apocalypse’) won’t be back here.

Speaking at the press junket for “Peter Rabbit,” Byrne revealed to Cinema Blend that there simply is no room for Moira in the next film:

“Unfortunately, Moira is not showing up. I wish she was. I had such fun on X-Men: Apocalypse. I love that cast. It is a really fun, what do you call it? Superhero film… ensemble exactly. I can’t wait to see what [Jessica Chastain] does, cause I’m such a fan.”

With the “X-Men” franchise likely shifting to Disney’s control (and thus likely to be rebooted), Byrne may not be back in the “X-Men” universe again. “X-Men: Dark Phoenix” opens in cinemas in November.

Doctor Omega

Chastain’s “X-Men: Dark Phoenix” Villain Revealed?

chastains-x-men-dark-phoenix-villain-revealed.jpg

Jessica Chastain’s mysterious role as the antagonist in “X-Men: Dark Phoenix” may have been revealed and it could be a spin on a character already teased.

Initial reports about Chastain was that she would play Lilandra, the Shi’ar Empress who condemns Jean Grey to death in the classic Dark Phoenix saga in the “X-Men” comics.

Months later, a feature article on the film indicated the character is “an otherworldly shapeshifter who comes into contact with Phoenix” and led to speculation she was playing The Skrull Queen.

Now, The Tracking Board is reporting that Chastain could be playing the part of Miss Sinister – a gender-switched version of classic X-Men villain Mister Sinister who has strong ties to Cyclops and Jean Grey in the original comics.

Sinister was both rumored to have been under consideration for the villain in “Logan” and more recently was supposed to be in the end credits stinger of “The New Mutants” – neither film ended up using him.

Doctor Omega

As part of 20th Century Fox’s CinemaCon presentation this week, brochures were handed out and on-screen graphics were seen which showcased some of the title artwork for numerous releases.

These include the upcoming “X-Men” sequel and the new “Terminator” film in the works for next year, and the artwork would seem to confirm both film’s official new titles at this point in time – “Dark Phoenix” and “Terminator”.

The former will NOT include “X-Men” in the title, but the ‘x’ at the end of ‘phoenix’ will be made to resemble the logo. The latter has simply taken the 1984 film’s title and dropped ‘the’ from it.

Doctor Omega

“Dark Phoenix” Reshoots About To Begin?

dark-phoenix-reshoots-about-to-begin-696x464.jpg

Additional photography on Simon Kinberg’s “X-Men: Dark Phoenix” film at 20th Century Fox looks to be ready to roll with the filmmaker posting photos from the set of the reshoots including a shot of a chair for Sophie Turner which bears her Jean Grey character name.

Despite a report emerging last month that the reshoots would be extensive and last for several months, numerous follow-up reports and quotes from those actually involved say the pickups are actually scheduled to run for only three weeks or so – a fairly standard amount of time for a large production of this scale.

The studio hasn’t commented on the reshoots at all at this time, but they come almost a year after filming on the project concluded in October last year. ‘Dark Phoenix’ was originally slated for release in November but was pushed back to February next year in part because it is believed that the scheduling of its large ensemble cast means that this extra filming couldn’t be done until now.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnHcrwk...mbed&utm_campaign=embed_loading_state_control

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnHdsEE...mbed&utm_campaign=embed_loading_state_control

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnHfkN9...mbed&utm_campaign=embed_loading_state_control

Doctor Omega

“Dark Phoenix” To Have A “Thor” Influence

dark-phoenix-to-have-a-thor-influence-696x464.jpg

In the wake of the release of the first trailer for “Dark Phoenix,” one complaint rang out the most on Reddit threads, discussion boards and social media – it looks like a remake of the much despised “X-Men: The Last Stand”.

Indeed there are some striking similarities to that Brett Ratner-directed third of the original “X-Men” films, the movie that was so hated by the fans that it effectively led to the series being rebooted with the far superior “X-Men: First Class”.

“Dark Phoenix” writer-director Simon Kinberg, who also penned ‘The Last Stand’, has decided to tackle the storyline again for the new film. The project marks the last of Fox’s main “X-Men” films before the Marvel-Disney deal goes through and the property likely gets rebooted. Speaking with EW this week, Kinberg discussed his inspiration for his second go around at the story:

“I’m sorry for ‘X-Men 3’. We tried to tell the ‘Dark Phoenix’ story and we didn’t do it properly. So, with this ‘Dark Phoenix’ story there is no ‘cure’ plot, there is no other plot. It is the Dark Phoenix story, as told in comics, as told in the cartoons.

Sophie [Turner] is the center of the film, that’s why she’s the one person that’s in the teaser poster. The entire movie revolves around her. It’s a movie that goes into space and is cosmic, very much inspired actually by what [Taika Waititi] did with ‘Thor’ – even though the tone is totally different – but just the ability to make a character movie that still feels grounded, and fun, but is in whole other universes.

Jessica Chastain’s character plays an alien, and that’s all I can tell you about that. But, yeah, it’s the ‘Dark Phoenix’ story and if you’ve read that comic I think you’re going to like the movie a lot.”

Whether that holds true remains to be seen. The first trailer launched to a tepid reaction, and the subsequent delay of several months didn’t improve its image, but the screening of the film’s first fifteen minutes at New York Comic Con the other day reportedly went over very well. “Dark Phoenix” opens in cinemas next Summer.

Doctor Omega

Stan Lee Isn’t In “Dark Phoenix”

stan-lee-isnt-in-dark-phoenix-696x464.jpg

As the world is still dealing with the passing of comics legend Stan Lee, the question has been raised as to what will be his last onscreen appearance.

Lee has cameoed in all of the Marvel Studios films, both “Deadpool” films, two of the “Fantastic Four” films, three of the “X-Men” movies, all five pre-MCU “Spider-Man” films along with “Venom,” “Daredevil” (2003), “Hulk” (2003), “Kick-Ass,” “Mallrats,” “Big Hero 6” and more including multiple TV series.

Lee will next be heard lending his voice to both “Ralph Breaks the Internet” and “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” this Fall, and will appear on screen in “Captain Marvel” and the fourth “Avengers” next year.

Will there be anymore beyond that? EW reports Lee never filmed a cameo for the upcoming “X-Men” feature “Dark Phoenix” and it’s unclear if he was scheduled to do one or was never set to appear, but the trade believes it wasn’t intended for Lee to ever cameo due to the new film being a grounded and grittier take on the franchise.

“Dark Phoenix” opens June 7th 2019.

Doctor Omega

The fourth and seemingly last of the “X-Men: First Class”-era films before Disney takes over Fox and reboots the property so as to be incorporated into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Simon Kinberg, who has produced and written on the franchise for many years, helms the new film which aims to tell the famed ‘Dark Phoenix’ saga from the comics properly – as opposed to the much-maligned version seen in “X-Men: The Last Stand”. Whether he succeeded or not is unclear as the film has been delayed a few times and undergone reshoots with a lengthy post-production period. Kinberg adds that he wanted to take the time to get the visual effects right and a first trailer released a few months back visually looked good even if the overall reaction was underwhelming.

Doctor Omega

Jubilee Is Not In “Dark Phoenix”

jubilee-is-not-in-dark-phoenix-696x464.jpg

If there’s one fan favorite “X-Men” character how has received short shrift in the films, it’s Jubilee. Though the character has appeared in four films, and has been portrayed by three different actresses, not a single one of them has had any lines of dialogue in the final cuts.

Lana Condor, who has hit it big in the past year thanks to the success of Netflix’s “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before,” played the role most recently in “X-Men: Apocalypse” and sadly confirmed to Collider this week she and the character will NOT be appearing in the upcoming “Dark Phoenix” movie:

“No, I didn’t end up doing ‘Dark Phoenix’ ’cause I was doing ‘To All the Boys’. I hope ‘X-Men’ lives on so hopefully in the future I’ll be able to go back to that family because it’s where I feel very indebted and loyal to… It’s funny because I, of course, love ‘X-Men’ forever. ‘X-Men’ was such an incredible experience because I had never worked before, I was so excited to be there. I love Jubilee and I hope that in the future she’ll get her due.”

The character is one of the more famous mutants in the “X-Men” universe and was a key character in the 1990s animated series. She can generate pyrotechnic energy blasts from her hands.