Review David Fincher

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

David Andrew Leo Fincher[1][2] (born August 28, 1962) is an American director and producer, notably for films, television series and music videos. He was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Director for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) and The Social Network (2010). For the latter, he won the Golden Globe Award for Best Director and the BAFTA Award for Best Direction.

He is also known for having directed the psychological thrillers Seven (1995), The Game (1997), Fight Club (1999), and Gone Girl(2014), and the mystery thrillers Zodiac (2007) and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011), as well as being instrumental in the creation of the U.S. television series House of Cards (2013-) and Mindhunter (2017-).

His films Zodiac and The Social Network are ranked in BBC's 100 Greatest Films of the 21st Century.[3]#

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Ever since I saw ALIEN 3 I have found his visual style fascinating.

Those opening shots of ALIEN 3, though they upset the die-hard fans of the previous movie were intriguing glimpses of a nightmare.

Then came SEVEN, ZODIAC and many others.

By all accounts he can be a nightmare to work with, but he clearly has a strong visual style, knows what he wants on screen and is determined to get it.

My favourite film of his is probably still ALIEN 3, although I know that he has disowned it because it was so difficult for him making it, but ZODIAC is a close second favourite for me.

Elessar

Member: Rank 2
I like David Fincher's movies, House of Cards not so much (the show is fun to watch and that's all). I think his visual fits movies better.

I don't really like Fight Club (it tries too hard), but his other movies are brilliant.

elanor

Member: Rank 3
For me he is a good director, not a genius.

I dislike lots of his films, but I admire his workmanship even in those films.

Doctor Omega

I was going to say that I would not like to work for him, but I guess that so long as you were working to the best of your ability - and helping him to achieve his vision - then the ride need not be a rocky one?

Elliot Thomas

Member: Rank 3
I was going to say that I would not like to work for him, but I guess that so long as you were working to the best of your ability - and helping him to achieve his vision - then the ride need not be a rocky one?
I'd say he tries to stay well clear of anyone that's 'high maintenance' or with emotional baggage. Rooney Mara had a difficult shoot on DRAGON TATTOO, but look at her reward- an Oscar nomination for Best Actress.