Review Dawn of the Gods: Episode 30

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
068279fdce1180bf44ac258d5fe87db7--spaceships-science-fiction.jpg

BLAKEYR3REDUCED-0005.jpg

Your thoughts on this episode....

The Liberator is drawn off course by an artificial black hole. Orac brings the ship too close in order to study the phenomenon, and, unable to break free, the Liberator is dragged through into an "impossible" starless black void... or is it? Orac's science is pitted against a legendary figure from Cally's childhood stories.

On to the next episode....

THE HARVEST OF KAIROS

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-harvest-of-kairos-episode-31.3464/

Back to the previous episode....

VOLCANO

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/volcano-episode-29.3454/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I must admit to this episode being a guilty pleasure, although I get the feeling that I am not supposed to like it.

It has numerous daft elements, but I like the way it plays out.

Even as a kid I thought: They're ripping off the Star Trek aliens there!

talosians-tos-00.jpg

But as a kid I thought the concept of going into a black hole where people wore outrageous top hats and where you could walk on a black floor and get chased around by a vehicle with teeth painted on it, were nicely imaginative on a BBC budget.

I get the impression that the writer had watched REDEMPTION with the idea of being pulled into a base, where the rulers had pain sticks. resurfacing here.

I liked all the "bald dwarf Orac" dialogue too.

A fun script. Just a bit daft and crazy! :emoji_alien:

And at least Tarrant helped to establish that the things on the end of your hands were fingers.

Important knowledge that. :emoji_confused:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I'm sure this episode was filmed after Children of Auron because they mention Auron still being the reference point and yet when had The Liberator ever been to Auron at this point in the series? And then three shows later they arrive to help out on Auron!
JB

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I was convinced at the time that the Thaarn was going to be a recurring villain in the show due to the amount of photos of him with Cally which never occurred in the actual episode but alas not! We had to keep Servalan as the main villain and guess when she was going to appear even when the crew were seemingly unaware!
JB

Last edited: