Review DC Comic Book Memories

Discussion in 'Comics' started by Doctor Omega, Feb 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

00.jpg

The Comics.......

• Like Like x 1
    #1 Doctor Omega, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  2. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 8

I have always read both Marvel and DC, and honestly, any comic that came my way. But money was pretty hard to come by as a kid, so comics were a treat.And when you only get comics every now and then, you get choosy about which ones you read, and as a kid, I usually wound up getting DC if I got something superhero related. Mostly because I was a huge Batman fan, and the DC characters (mostly) always seemed cooler to me as a kid. When I got into high school, a couple of friends of mine get me reading X-Men and all of the related titles, and another friend got me into Daredevil. From then on, I pretty much have spent my money equally between the two companies.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gavin

Gavin Member: Rank 6
    VIP

I got into comics in the 90's with the Death of Superman story. Started with Superman and branched out into other related titles. It wasn't that I disliked Marvel, just that I enjoyed a range of DC comics and tended to stay within that group for crossovers etc and because I simply couldn't afford to buy an unlimited range of titles. The lone exception was Fantastic Four because I enjoyed the cartoon when I was a kid so I picked up the comics and immediately became hooked.

Both Marvel and DC were at a stage where it was difficult to get into for new readers due to a lot of history and ongoing storylines but once I got started with DC I slowly started to get a grasp on the history and so getting into other titles became easier. Because I didn't follow a lot of Marvel titles (and FF didn't seem to cross over that much) I never really got a grip on the continuity of the Marvel universe. (I remember reading about the controversy of the Spiderman clone storyline and being glad I hadn't been on board for that).

Overall I don't think I could say that one was better than the other. Just that I enjoyed DC because they were characters I knew and had grown up with (Superfriends) and once I got into the universe I really enjoyed it.

Then they went and reset everything so I lost interest.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

I tended to read Marvel Comics for the superheroes, but DC COMICS for the horror and supernatural. In particular, these two titles....

House_of_Mystery_v.1_174.jpg House_of_Secrets_v.1_123.jpg

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  5. chainsaw_metal1

In my quest for silver and bronze age horror comics (when I actually have the money, I'll grab some golden age), I have picked up some of these in the discount bins. Not always in the greatest shape, but the stories read just the same.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

While they were fine with horror characters such as Dracula, Frankenstein and Werewolf by Night, Marvel never quite seemed to top DC at the horror anthologies....

While I remember House of Secrets etc, I certainly don't remember the Marvel titles such as this....

48161-2648-57623-1-vault-of-evil.jpg

I'm not sure why D.C. had the edge though. :emoji_confused:

• Like Like x 1
  7. chainsaw_metal1

I honestly don't remember this title, nor do I remember any other attempts at horror anthology from Marvel. DC certainly did have the edge here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

9. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

10. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator