Dear Lena (2016)-- Dear world

plsletitrain

Member: Rank 5
I could’ve put this on the Recently Seen thread but I miss starting a new thread and plus, I guess this movie deserves a shout-out for being untalked about much but deserves a space in our hard drives. It has a whooping 5 votes on IMDb.

A low-key, old school Korean flick who flew below the radar from a director we all haven’t heard of (He only has this film on his credits on IMDb).
I got sold on the film because of course, anything with natural elements I’m quite hooked. The movie’s setting is on a field of green tea leaves, whatever they’re called. Lena (I love the name) is a Korean who was born and raised in Russia. She decides to go back to her homeland. At first I thought for vacation and immersion to culture. She stays in a house owned by a farmer.
They both explore the wonderful scenery together, doing things together, having moments together. At first I thought it was plain platonic until the farmer’s brother started talking about marriage and bride. Wait, I thought they were merely landlord, tenant? Later on it became apparent that she was a mail-order bride. Or international marriage as they put it. This came as a surprise to me. This is the first time I’ve seen such a subject on a Korean movie and I never knew this arrangement existed in South Korea. Can I sign up for a Korean celebrity? lol.

Another thing which I found cute here is ‘ya know, the friendship or arranged-marriage between a farmer (who to me looks older than the girl) and a foreign woman. Sounded like an unlikely couple (although the woman wasn’t really westernized) but the ending got me rooting for their love story. An inexperienced farmer and a lonely girl. The ending was a cool one. It will make you wonder whether it was a dream, or was it her parent’s ___ Okay, I’ll just stop in case I spoil anything.

There are a lot of “silent” scenes here, so silent I had to sometime put a background music of my own to keep me from sleeping. Lena frequently stares into lonely space, because she has a baggage of her own. And they would usually exchange some powerful quotable quotes and anecdotes that are quite deep. At least to me, they are. Pictures don’t lie. Lena likes taking pictures. There’s a lot of pictures here. Both literal and figurative. The film exudes the aura of tranquility, which jibes with its setting which is living in the provincial mountains. There’s no major plot twists, cruelty, profanity here but the simplicity of the film and its powerful last 30 minutes or so makes me want to tell the director to make more films such as this.

plsletitrain

Does sound like a nice film, though, even if it's not out a window from a moving vehicle
No, it isn't from a moving vehicle. :(((( Its just her sitting down and the video playing pause while she probably thinks of some stuff. The reviews have posted it so I guess its not a spoiler if I say that she's terminally ill. Ugh.

But yeah, I know I should feel pressured cooker recommending this to the gang but I can proudly say that this is worth a watch. I think divemaster will like this, clayton also...but you're an alien so I won't bet my ass if you'll like this or not but I'm leaning towards yes, you will like this. What I like about the film is that it wasn't hyped much, at least to my world, so I was overwhelmed after seeing this. There are breakdown crying scenes in the end, though, which is acting acting for you which I know you're not really a fan of but we need to discuss for posterity whether the ending was reality or a dream (or illusion)!!!!!!!!!

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
It sounds like a wonderful film.

I just added it to my YesAsia cart.
...and ordered!

Along with The Winter of the Year was Warm. That was in my "saved" list. I don't remember putting it there or any discussion about the film, so I'm guessing someone here mentioned it at some point? In any event, both DVDs should be on their way.

sitenoise

Along with The Winter of the Year was Warm.
Do you like really bad Hong Sang-soo movies? I think we talked about this here. I think @divemaster13 liked it. I waited anxiously 5 years for subtitles after waiting for 7 years for another movie by this dude which still haven't showed up. I think "Winter" is on Amazon.

divemaster13

Do you like really bad Hong Sang-soo movies? I think we talked about this here. I think @divemaster13 liked it. I waited anxiously 5 years for subtitles after waiting for 7 years for another movie by this dude which still haven't showed up. I think "Winter" is on Amazon.
Hong is ok, what little I've seen. I gave 3 stars to Turning Gate and Virgin...Bachelors, and 3.5 to Woman is the Future of Man. Not sure if I've seen anything else. But there's definitely a pattern that I only need to visit like once a year to get that particular "lets talk about relationships" movie fix. So I should expect Winter... to be worse? It's from a different guy. A Hong wannabe? Say it ain't so.

(Your quote name-checks me, which can't be right. I think you must have someone else in mind).

sitenoise

Hong is ok, what little I've seen. I gave 3 stars to Turning Gate and Virgin...Bachelors, and 3.5 to Woman is the Future of Man. Not sure if I've seen anything else. But there's definitely a pattern that I only need to visit like once a year to get that particular "lets talk about relationships" movie fix. So I should expect Winter... to be worse? It's from a different guy. A Hong wannabe? Say it ain't so.

(Your quote name-checks me, which can't be right. I think you must have someone else in mind).
Oops, yeah I think I meant ebo.

This director had a film: Second Half that came out a couple years earlier. It came on my radar and it was back when I still had blind faith in K-films. I love K-"lets talk about relationships" movies if they don't have to have the characters get drunk to do it. I liked the poster, even though it suggested drinking. I like two people just looking at one another. Never got subs. Then Winter came out. I added it to my wish list. Liked the poster, liked the title. Then five years or so later the italics showed up GRRRR and the subtitles. Maybe. I have some odd recollection that I might have seen Winter on Amazon via a friend's account, because I remember it being an odd opportunity that I got to see it. And yes it seemed like a really bad Hong Sang Soo movie to me. If you look at the director's filmography it doesn't spell goodness.

plsletitrain

I will look for Winter in my own Amazon. I could've sworn by sitenoise eyes that I've seen or at least started watching On The Beach At Night Alone but I can't remember a thing so I probably haven't seen it although it passed my radar.

I used to really dig krom-coms, until I found Jun Ji-Hyun. Kidding!!!! Okay, I have to give it to Korea--they make really good "relationship" movies. Same goes for Japan. I must have them confused now, I don't know which ones make better. All I know is the Philippines is bad at it.

Anyhow, please give me a heads-up when you watch Winter.

sitenoise

Currently unavailable at US Amazon, though

sitenoise

Much to the chagrin of my BFF @plsletitrain I have to weigh in here and say Dear Lena is a pretty bad movie lollb.gif I mean, it's a first time director who, I guess, didn't have the money or friends to help him get people who could (not)act. The boys in this flick are cringe-worthy. And/but the real giveaway is that the soundtrack is the kind of music you'd get for free on a thumb drive from a box of cereal.

But I haven't finished it yet lol1.gif The girl is not bad: being fairly Korean Cute and staring off into space pensively goes a long way. The story is kind of grounded in being a foreigner in your own country. It's kind of interesting. Girl comes from Russia (backstory is good) and everyone treats her like: "oh! you look Korean. Sound Korean, etc. but you're one of those foreigners who comes here and does the thing you're doing"

Maybe the third act will redeem it. We know what's going to happen. It's just a matter of how well it gets executed, how good the tears are. Koreans are good at execution and sucking raindrops from your eyeballs.

I spent a night in italics on the first act. Had to rest up a day or two before going back into battle. Act 2 was a little teeny weeny bit better but I still need a day or two off before tackling the denouement. The photographer dude with the coiffy bullshit he hangs around his neck is nothing short of grotesque. I hope he's gone in Act III. It is telling, though, that he's ten times better than the main character's brother. OMG I wonder if that guy is really that ugly or if he's acting it LOL

I can see the appeal of the film. It's in beautiful country and has no shame about pulling your heartstrings. Let's pray for solid execution!

plsletitrain

Uh-oh. @divemaster13 I can wash your dishes for a week. :(((((( Sorry.

Hey @sitenoise the ending is 30 minutes of girl going back to Russia in a car staring pensively out the window!!!!

I grew a fascination over the farmer. He has that poor-me look and him being shy just tickles the woman gene. We women like underdogs!!!!! Or is it just me?????

Dear world, I got it wrong this time. Haha no!!! Just ignore the brother and photographer dude. I like the ending so its safe to say that sitenoise won't like it. Ugh.

sitenoise

the ending is 30 minutes of girl going back to Russia in a car staring pensively out the window!!!!
I can't wait!

The thing about the farmer is ... as the film unfolds and they get the setup out of the way, the way the farmer starts to deal with coifed up photo boy's intrusions, and he assumes the kicked puppy look, he's a lot less stupid looking --not gonna say he actually becomes more appealing, just less gross :) He acts less, and is kind of becoming more authentically a shy nice guy. I like underdogs, too.

I think this is going to end well. We'll see.

I was sitting here getting ready to hit the REPLY button and that sentence right above this one just changed into italics in front of my eyes. getu.gif

plsletitrain

No, this won't end well.....for you. This will end by divemaster asking for a refund. lol

I understand why you got annoyed about the supposed love triangle and all the acting-acting. You're sitenoise. That should explain it. There's a scene in the end when the farmer shouts and bawls his eyes out. It was painful for me. Probably painful for you too...but for a different reason. lol

We don't seem to have a problem with the italics. See? Even the editor knows you're special!!

divemaster13

This will end by divemaster asking for a refund. lol
I honestly don't think so. I'm skimming most of these posts, as I don't want to read any plot details. But I do know that many of the things that put @sitenoise off a movie are the very things that grab me. I don't care about eating-acting, or music (well, it can certainly help a movie, but I'd rarely knock a film for the music), or lotioned-up K-boys.

I'm guessing I'll like it. Perhaps a lot. But YesAsia won't get it from Korea until Nov. 4, so I won't get it until mid-November. I'll watch it when I can--might be December.

(100% italics-free post)

sitenoise

Hey! There is a beautiful piece of music happening right now as the lovebirds(?) are taking pictures.

I think @divemaster13 has a good point. A number of things that will kill a movie for me don't matter much to others.

And to be fair to farmer boy, when he wanted to hide his underpants it was supposed to be a comedy bit <cough> and it was part of the "setup" which is where missteps are most likely to happen. He is simple staring pensively off into space as we speak.

plsletitrain

Yes, there are fairly good piano pieces here. Music is one of the strengths of the film.

I know I sound like the only thing I look for is the thickness of lotion on their faces but I dig some other things too, like setting, music, and of course, plot. I think its where me and @divemaster13 meet, we're both very plot-driven.

But I just can't seem to appreciate people doing mundane things in a film. I mean, if I wanted that I'll watch my neighbor. And don't get me started about being enthused at someone staring outside the window pensively.