Dear Lena (2016)-- Dear world

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
Spoiler-ishly Free-ish Final Verdict

drumroll.gif

Act III is wonderful
except for photo boy almost becoming a hero
and pretty much redeems the film's transgressions earlier.

The two best things are that farmer boy actually becomes his character, instead of trying to act his character, and the music becomes beautiful. The final song is just okay but the female vocal bit on the camping trip is gorgeous and then the piano tinkling stuff becomes tolerable.

The even bestest thing about it, though, is ... I'm not really sure how it ended lollz.gif @plsletitrain raises a couple questions in her review that are surely there. I have my theory but the beauty of it is that it doesn't matter. Execution, baby. Well played!

And wait ... the bester bestest thing is that
bro boy is gone
I don't think it's spoilery at all to reveal mention that but just in case.

I have complete confidence in @plsletitrain 's judgement on these kinds of movies. I knew it would end well. It is absolutely a film I would have punted by 10 minutes in, but with her blessings on it I had to see it through, and I'm glad I did.

I think its where me and @divemaster13 meet, we're both very plot-driven.
Yeah. I'm not very plot driven at all, especially from Koreans. They either over-complicate things or they try to smoke and mirror you away from the obvious. In this case, I'll bet @divemaster13 gets what's going on right away with his familiarity with Korean culture. Koreans would get this too, as soon as they heard her speaking Russian, which is Act I, Scene I, if I'm not mistaken. The whole Russian bit, which seems more central to the film than our OP hints at, is intriguing to me. Not so much the arranged marriage bit but the "foreigner in her homeland" bit, made stronger because their is specific history to this one. I think the director made this film about that, and illness is a metaphor -- as opposed to this being just another one of those Korean films about illness and love.

AND, as much as I hated photo boy he did something in this movie that made me lose a breath by its beauty (I'm paraphrasing and summarizing here):
  • Girl is bumming
  • Photo boy says "What's wrong"
  • Girl says "Nothing, I'm fine"
  • Photo boy takes her picture and shows it to her
You know the tag line ....

I really want to do that some day.

sitenoise

btw - @divemaster you can watch this movie online for free. That's what I just did (over the course of a week or so. lol) It's totally fine 720p quality with English subs that are probably for sure from the DVD.

plsletitrain

I have complete confidence in @plsletitrain 's judgement on these kinds of movies. I knew it would end well. It is absolutely a film I would have punted by 10 minutes in, but with her blessings on it I had to see it through, and I'm glad I did.
Why do I feel like you're just saying that to appease me??? *pouts lips while trying to look cute* I was about to end my movie-reviewing career when you said this is a bad film!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sad2.gifsad2.gif

Not so much the arranged marriage bit but the "foreigner in her homeland" bit, made stronger because their is specific history to this one. I think the director made this film about that, and illness is a metaphor -- as opposed to this being just another one of those Korean films about illness and love.
I thought otherwise. I think what took place was, okay let's make her sound like she's from a foreign country, US is too overused. Let's try Russia. Girl didn't convincingly sounded like she was from Russia. I'm no expert on Russian language but she sounded more like a Korean who took a few day's Russian lessons rather than someone born and raised there. The only thing that kept reminding me that she was from Russia is because they said so. Otherwise, I would've forgotten and thought she's just from Seoul.

Damn man, you are so hard to read. I'm glad I didn't bet my ass on you. I thought you'll hate the ending.......................

sitenoise

But I just can't seem to appreciate people doing mundane things in a film.
Ya know ... I think you you need to rethink that. Sitting on a park bench, picking tea leaves, taking photos, etc., aren't exactly action packed items. This film is full of mundane shit. There's something else that bothers you about "sitenoise" movies. I know what it is, and I hate it too but my threshold is a little higher than yours. It's not that people are doing mundane things that's boring, it's when the director over steps the boundaries and dares you to be upset or bored with his choice of prolonging the mundane. It's a vibe thing. Whenever I feel a director putting his agenda or ego into a film, instead of letting the film dictate its own boundaries, I'm upset chaingun.gif

It's also about the quality of the acting. I remember when our beloved green frog was here and we bonded over this Michael Caine actors workshop thing where Michael is teaching students how to act drunk. Bad actors will try to act drunk. Michael shows them how to sit in a chair and not move a muscle ... and he becomes shitfaced to the audience. It's amazing.

A Farmer Boy example here is when Lena is walking away from him at one point and he wants to act to us that he's freaking out about it so his head trembles, his eyes shift, maybe he drools a little bit, probably takes a dump in his pants, and on and on. Michael Caine would do that without moving a muscle. He would let us see deeply into his eyes.

Last edited:

plsletitrain

Uh-oh, I must've made an unintionally funny remark.

Anyway, I'll think deeply in response to your acting-acting post.

sitenoise

I think what took place was, okay let's make her sound like she's from a foreign country, US is too overused. Let's try Russia. Girl didn't convincingly sounded like she was from Russia. I'm no expert on Russian language but she sounded more like a Korean who took a few day's Russian lessons rather than someone born and raised there. The only thing that kept reminding me that she was from Russia is because they said so. Otherwise, I would've forgotten and thought she's just from Seoul.
Yeah, I couldn't tell you if she had a strong Korean accent when speaking Russian but I don't think she did because she sounded just like the blond girl in her class when they spoke Russian together.

There is a very real and historical bit in the film about her parents and what happened to many Koreans in Russia. It was very heavy for me, and seemed huge about why she came to Korea. Maybe you were listening to some outside music at that time? Because it didn't really impact the 'love story' of the film but I think there's more to it than you are seeing. Will be interesting to get @divemaster13 input on this

btw - I saw your unintionally funny remark before you changed it. Made me gasp lolz.gif

plsletitrain

Sitting on a park bench, picking tea leaves, taking photos, etc., aren't exactly action packed items. This film is full of mundane shit.
I know, that's why I had to have my music in company. I usually go....so? What do I get from watching you sit on a park bench? (Although my patience is longer if its a hot lotioned boy I'm staring at lol) I think my personality is the answer. You know I'm easily distracted. I usually have to listen to music to shut my mind from distraction. I don't know, I'm no smart-ass or nerd, but I just think of so many things. That's why when I read or do something physical, a music has to play in full volume. So when I'm made to watch someone do her bedsheets..................................................................ZzzzzZZZZ I need to be awakened by some music.

prolonging the mundane.
You're record holder for this. Who could forget that [in]famous 48-hour long Sukida clip you cut and posted on youtube and you were so enthused about it.

It's also about the quality of the acting.
I agree. I can't stand OA acting too but I also can't stand lifeless acting.

plsletitrain

There is a very real and historical bit in the film about her parents and what happened to many Koreans in Russia.
@clayton-12 seems to have an interest on history and films that have historical pieces on it. Maybe he knows. I'm ignorant on the subject so maybe my attention was focused at the nice green scenery of the film.

btw - I saw your unintionally funny remark before you changed it. Made me gasp View attachment 16926
Sssshhhh......quiet! I wish they had moving emoticons here too.

sitenoise

Is that Japanese? What does it mean?
I think it's Indonesian/Japan mix. "Su-ki-da" is on the spectrum of saying "I Love you".

The comment translates as "My name is Emilia and this is the best movie ever and you posted the best scene in the movie. I love you!"

plsletitrain

I think it's Indonesian/Japan mix. "Su-ki-da" is on the spectrum of saying "I Love you".

The comment translates as "My name is Emilia and this is the best movie ever and you posted the best scene in the movie. I love you!"
I'm gullible. Is it really how it translates????? :((((( I know you're about to say "you could use google translate, gurl" but I think you just added the "best movie and best scene" part. mjeyds.gif Hehe. I think ga=Indonesian for :emoji_alien:

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
btw - @divemaster you can watch this movie online for free. That's what I just did (over the course of a week or so. lol) It's totally fine 720p quality with English subs that are probably for sure from the DVD.
I'm skipping most of the film discussion, but did see this.

I hear you, about the watching on-line. And I appreciate the heads-up, but I just like watching DVDs on my home theater system. The DVD is on the way. I'll wait, even if it means I miss most of this scintillating discussion. If there was NO other option for something I just HAD to watch immediately, I might try to use an on-line option.

Please be kind to me. Divemaster just insinuated I like lotioned K-boys!!!! Do you know how hurtful that is??????????
Ha Ha. If I was truly insinuating that, I'd have to be in the same boat! I was aiming my arrows at sitenoise lol.