How Authentic a Trek Show is This?

• This feels like the real deal!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Have these guys even watched the original series?

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • I'm still on the fence

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
s-l500.jpg

An original novel based upon the explosive new Star Trek TV series on CBS All Access!

It is 2246, ten years prior to the Battle at the Binary Stars, and an aggressive contagion is ravaging the food supplies of the remote Federation colony Tarsus IV and the eight thousand people who call it home. Distress signals have been sent, but any meaningful assistance is weeks away. Lieutenant Commander Gabriel Lorca and a small team assigned to a Starfleet monitoring outpost are caught up in the escalating crisis, and bear witness as the colony’s governor, Adrian Kodos, employs an unimaginable solution in order to prevent mass starvation.

While awaiting transfer to her next assignment, Commander Philippa Georgiou is tasked with leading to Tarsus IV a small, hastily assembled group of first responders. It’s hoped this advance party can help stabilize the situation until more aid arrives, but Georgiou and her team discover that they‘re too late—Governor Kodos has already implemented his heinous strategy for extending the colony’s besieged food stores and safeguarding the community’s long-term survival.

In the midst of their rescue mission, Georgiou and Lorca must now hunt for the architect of this horrific tragedy and the man whom history will one day brand “Kodos the Executioner”….

Doctor Omega

s-l500 (1).jpg

The official behind-the-scenes guide to the hit new Star Trek television series!

This essential guide to the highly anticipated new Star Trek television series takes fans behind-the-scenes and into the strange new worlds of Star Trek: Discovery, and is packed with amazing images, including production artwork and exclusive prop photography.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
If Jeffrey Hunter doesn't appear on their screens in the premier of season two then it ain't the prime universe of TOS! A few fans on Trek BBS are also with me on that despite a few sticklers and unimaginative people on there that accept everything that they are told!
JB

Doctor Omega

Yes, I agree, if they can't do this "showing how Discovery fits into the Prime Timeline" justice, then they reeeaallllly shouldn't be going there, in my opinion.

Doctor Omega

If Jeffrey Hunter doesn't appear on their screens in the premier of season two then it ain't the prime universe of TOS!

I wonder if they might be planning to use this guy, with a bit of c.g.i. de-aging? Yes, I know he is the Kelvin Pike, but these guys changed the Klingons pointlessly and stuck holodecks in the wrong century, so I wouldn't put anything past them now.

Doctor Omega

“Star Trek: Discovery” Casts Its Captain Pike

star-trek-discovery-casts-its-captain-pike-696x464.jpg

“Hell on Wheels” and “Inhumans” star Anson Mount has scored the key role of U.S.S. Enterprise Captain Christopher Pike in CBS All Access’ series “Star Trek: Discovery”.

Pike was captain of the famed vessel before Captain James T. Kirk’s stint. With the show set ten years prior to Kirk, we’ll get to see Pike early into his time as that ship’s captain. Jeffrey Hunter and Bruce Greenwood have previously portrayed the character.

The introduction of Pike was expected considering his name was dropped and the Enterprise herself seen in the first season finale of ‘Discovery’.

Production on the second season begins later this month with no air date as yet announced.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
I liked Discovery very much. The Klingon part was very slow and the last part of the season was much better overall. I'm looking forward to Season 2.

Doctor Omega

I think that it would be a perfectly passable sci fi show - watchable at the time, then forgettable immediately afterwards - if it did not have the STAR TREK label on it.

But the fact that they have marketed this thing as the next step in the franchise, when it, to me, is so far removed as to be incompatible, makes it as difficult for me to even entertain the show.

It could have made it's own mark. But seems more interested in riding the coat-tails of the TREK franchise.

The show is even too scared to move too far away from the Kirk era, going down the timid prequel route, then getting it all wrong, continuity wise.

I was intrigued when it was a gestating idea, in pre-production, but the prequel thing made my heart sink, and now I find that it has too many black marks against it now for it ever to win me over.

I would have preferred if they had set it in the 25th Century - or at least sometime after NEMESIS and had those unrecognisable creatures be a swarming species that had annihilated the Klingons and assumed their place in the Galaxy.

Doctor Omega

Tig Notaro Joins “Star Trek: Discovery”

tig-notaro-joins-star-trek-discovery-696x464.jpg

Comedian and actress Tig Notaro (“One Mississippi”) is set to guest star in the second season of CBS All Access and Netflix’s “Star Trek: Discovery” series.

Notaro is taking on the role of the USS Hiawatha’s chief engineer Denise Reno for an unconfirmed number of episodes. The Hiawatha is an Akula-class ship affiliated with Starfleet.

Notaro follows on from “The Office” star Rainn Wilson who appeared in the first season as con man Harry Mudd. She’s the second major addition to the show’s second season following the recent casting of Anson Mount (“Hell on Wheels”) as USS Enterprise Captain Christopher Pike.

Filming begins this month, and no premiere date has yet been set.

Doctor Omega

Former “Star Trek” star Jonathan Frakes has reportedly confirmed that a young version of Spock will appear in the upcoming second season of “Star Trek: Discovery”.

Speaking at El Paso Comic Con, Frakes revealed he’s directing the second and tenth episodes of the new season and that second episode includes not only Anson Mount as Captain Christopher Pike but also young versions of both Spock and his adopted sister (and Discovery leading character) Michael Burnham. They will appear in flashbacks.

Spock has been mentioned a few times in the first season, but hasn’t been shown. At the time of the series, he’s a young science officer onboard the U.S.S. Enterprise under Captain Pike’s command.

“Star Trek: Discovery” is expected to return to air towards year’s end or early 2019.

Doctor Omega

“Star Trek: Discovery” S2 Begins Production

star-trek-discovery-s2-begins-production-696x464.jpg

CBS All Access has premiered a first look at the start of production on the second season of “Star Trek: Discovery” which kicked off last week.

The new season sees the crew of the U.S.S. Discovery encountering the U.S.S. Enterprise and its Captain Christopher Pike (Anson Mount). Further specifics of the season are unknown but cast members like Sonequa Martin-Green, Doug Jones, Mary Wiseman, Mary Chieffo, James Frain and more are all expected back.

No air date has yet been set, but the show will screen on CBS All Access in the U.S. and on Netflix overseas – the series premiered on CBS to nearly ten million viewers for its pilot. “Star Trek: Discovery” is produced by CBS Television Studios.

Gavin

VIP
So I've made it up to episode 12 now and I have to say, this show is growing on me. It's still not Star Trek but, watching it as a standalone sci-fi adventure series, I'm finding that I'm starting to enjoy it. The story is intriguing and well acted and the effects are gorgeous. Where the show does suffer is in characterisation. There are only a handful of characters I could name, even after 11 episodes and I'm predicting that at least a couple of those won't be around for season 2. And unfortunately the show focuses on the least likeable character. But still, overall I'm enjoying it and I've started watching 2-3 episodes in one sitting.

johnnybear

The continuity is an obvious thorn in our sides but what if this isn't the TOS universe, reality or whatever or even perhaps the timeline that was affected by ENTs Temporal Cold War? Everything being altered to the way it should have been? Including the first JJ Abrams Trek film too?
JB

Gavin

VIP
The continuity is an obvious thorn in our sides but what if this isn't the TOS universe, reality or whatever or even perhaps the timeline that was affected by ENTs Temporal Cold War?
That's a great theory and that's how I'm going to accept the show. Star Trek but from a drastically altered timeline. No need for the continuity to match up that way.

johnnybear

Thanks, Gavin! I've been trying to put this theory forward on the Trek BBS as well with limited success! A lot of people quite like it too and agree with me but a few people get a bit nasty and adhere to any little thing put forward by the executives on the series!
JB