How Authentic a Trek Show is This?

• This feels like the real deal!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Have these guys even watched the original series?

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • I'm still on the fence

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
So I finally finished season 1. Just as I started to enjoy it, it went a little downhill again. Once they escaped the mirror universe the final couple of episodes felt like bit of a let down. The finale I found very disappointing. The idea that the title ship's crew defies Starfleet's orders and saves the day isn't without precedent in Star Trek. But the fact that the war, which had all but destroyed the Federation, could so easily be stopped by one Klingon, even with the threat of destroying the planet just felt forced. It felt like the writers had originally planned for more episodes and then been forced to squeeze the ending in at the last minute. Or that they may have planned to finish the season with the return from the mirror universe and then finish the war in season 2 and then been told to wrap the story up in season 1. Or perhaps I'm attributing too much credit to the writers by suggesting there was planning involved?

Still, they've kept my interest enough for me to at least check out season 2 when it comes out.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
51X1XQ5vr+L.jpg

An original novel based upon the explosive new Star Trek TV series on CBS All Access.
Lieutenant Saru is a Kelpien, a member of a prey species born on a world overrun by monstrous predators…and a being who very intimately understands the nature of fear. Challenged on all sides, he is determined to surpass his origins and succeed as a Starfleet officer aboard the U.S.S. Shenzhou. But when Saru breaks protocol in order to prove himself to his crewmates, what begins as a vital rescue mission to save a vessel in distress soon escalates out of control. Forced into a command role he may not be ready for, Saru is caught between his duty and the conflicting agendas of two antagonistic alien races. To survive, he will need to seek a path of peace against all odds, and risk compromising the very ideals he has sworn to uphold….

Doctor Omega

“Star Trek: Discovery” Loses Its Showrunners

star-trek-discovery-s2-to-solve-canon-issues-696x464.jpg

CBS All Access & Netflix’s “Star Trek: Discovery” series has, once again, lost its showrunners.

Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts, who served in the roles for the first season, are now out with Alex Kurtzman taking over as sole showrunner for the second season. Kurtzman will now also oversee the Discovery writers’ room.

CBS TV Studios says in a statement to THR: “We’ve made some producer changes at Star Trek: Discovery. The series continues under the creative vision and leadership of executive producer and co-creator Alex Kurtzman. Discovery remains on course for season two in 2019 with new and continuing stories that build on its successful premiere season.”

The series famous hired Bryan Fuller to serve as showrunner before he exited after a few months due to creative differences. Berg and Harberts, his proteges, took over for the first season while Kurtzman served as executive producer.

With the second season having begun production, the change is unexpected but sources tell the trade that the departure wasn’t due to creative issues but rather leadership and operational ones. The budget for the second season premiere ballooned, with the overages expected to come out of subsequent episodes from the second season run.

Additionally the pair allegedly became increasingly abusive to the Discovery writing staff. Multiple writers reportedly said they have been uncomfortable working on the series and threatened to quit, with Harberts alleged to have threatened the staff to keep concerns with the production an internal matter.

The first five episodes of the second season are nearly completed with Kurtzman likely taking over from episode six and beyond following a scheduled hiatus. Berg and Harberts are expected to still be credited on the episodes they oversaw.

McQualude

Member: Rank 3
I only watched the first episode and it was so bad I have no intention of watching more. They are only further destroying the Star Trek franchise. I really wish the rights would go to someone else. And the stuff about Fuller is probably just ass covering. All they have to do is call someone abusive or sexist and the twitter/reddit drones will grab their pitchforks.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
It's Star Trek, Mac, but not as we know it! Why these people have to set their versions before or close to the TOS time period I'll never know! Maybe it's because it's the original series and the one they can do the most damage to if they interfere with it?
JB

Doctor Omega

It is an absolute disaster of a series. I had a similar experience of watching the first episode, being appalled - and not getting beyond episode two.

The lead character, Michael Burnham, is just a violent idiot, who is always portrayed as right - even when she is obviously wrong. And the lame, forced swearing scene was just soooo obviously meant to shock and boost ratings.

ORVILLE was like a breath of fresh air after this stinker of a show.

The sooner it is cancelled, the better.

Funnily enough, this morning I finally cracked open the gift I got of the entire run of ENTERPRISE - and watched the feature length pilot. First time I am properly watching the series.

It ain't perfect (and why, oh why did it have to be a prequel?), but I felt that, whatever it's flaws, this felt more of a Trek show than DISCO. I think Berman was respectful in that sense, never straying too far from it being a show with ultimately decent people in, trying to improve themselves.

McQualude

Member: Rank 3
I stopped watching Enterprise in season 2, obviously not a fan, but it was way more Star Trek than Discovery.

Doctor Omega

Klingons Redesigned For “Discovery” S2

klingons-redesigned-for-discovery-s2-696x464.jpg

It turns out it won’t just be the first season of CBS All Access’ “Star Trek: Discovery” that will see a major redesign of the Klingons – the upcoming second season will also reimagine the warrior race’s visual aesthetic.

The show’s makeup designer Glenn Hetrick appeared at a panel at Star Trek Las Vegas this past weekend and spoke about the first season’s controversial redesign and how the new season will somewhat course correct things towards the more familiar thanks to a time gap between seasons allowing for change. He tells TrekMovie:

“In season two, you are going to see much different designs. You are going to see different houses you haven’t seen before. One of the most important things to us was that at this point in canon, as we head towards the current version of unification, the houses really each grow up on different planets.

It is an Empire, it is not just Qo’noS… We have seen six of the great houses in close up in season one. As we move forward into the next season, I promise that we will continue exploring and unpacking and unfolding that infinitely interesting story of what the Klingon culture looks like on a wider level.”

Hetrick also went on to tease that the look could bring back the long hair synonymous with the species since “Star Trek: The Motion Picture”. The new season of ‘Discovery’ kicks off around New Years, while the Blu-ray and DVD box-set of the first season hits November 13th.

Doctor Omega

Klingons Redesigned For “Discovery” S2

klingons-redesigned-for-discovery-s2-696x464.jpg

It turns out it won’t just be the first season of CBS All Access’ “Star Trek: Discovery” that will see a major redesign of the Klingons – the upcoming second season will also reimagine the warrior race’s visual aesthetic.

The show’s makeup designer Glenn Hetrick appeared at a panel at Star Trek Las Vegas this past weekend and spoke about the first season’s controversial redesign and how the new season will somewhat course correct things towards the more familiar thanks to a time gap between seasons allowing for change. He tells TrekMovie:

“In season two, you are going to see much different designs. You are going to see different houses you haven’t seen before. One of the most important things to us was that at this point in canon, as we head towards the current version of unification, the houses really each grow up on different planets.

It is an Empire, it is not just Qo’noS… We have seen six of the great houses in close up in season one. As we move forward into the next season, I promise that we will continue exploring and unpacking and unfolding that infinitely interesting story of what the Klingon culture looks like on a wider level.”

Hetrick also went on to tease that the look could bring back the long hair synonymous with the species since “Star Trek: The Motion Picture”. The new season of ‘Discovery’ kicks off around New Years, while the Blu-ray and DVD box-set of the first season hits November 13th.

Doctor Omega

Ethan Peck Is Spock In “Star Trek: Discovery”

ethan-peck-is-spock-in-star-trek-discovery-696x464.jpg

Ethan Peck (“In Time,” “Eden”) has been cast as Spock in the upcoming second season of CBS All Access and Netflix’s “Star Trek: Discovery”.

Spock has been teased as a major figure in the show’s second season with the character having a serious personal link to the show’s lead Michael Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green).

Peck’s version serves under Captain Christopher Pike (Anson Mount) aboard the Enterprise – years before Kirk took the Captain’s chair and led the crew on its iconic five-year mission.

‘Discovery’ showrunner Alex Kurtzman has issued an official statement on the casting:

“Through 52 years of television and film, a parallel universe and a mirror universe, Mr. Spock remains the only member of the original bridge crew to span every era of Star Trek. The great Leonard Nimoy, then the brilliant Zachary Quinto, brought incomparable humanity to a character forever torn between logic and emotion.

We searched for months for an actor who would, like them, bring his own interpretation to the role. An actor who would, like them, effortlessly embody Spock’s greatest qualities, beyond obvious logic: empathy, intuition, compassion, confusion and yearning.

Ethan Peck walked into the room inhabiting all of these qualities, aware of his daunting responsibility to Leonard, Zack and the fans, and ready to confront the challenge in the service of protecting and expanding on Spock’s legacy. In that spirit, we’re thrilled to welcome him to the family.”

The first trailer for the new season shown at Comic-Con danced around Spock, not showing the character who reported had taken a leave of absence from the ship. It’s expected the new Spock won’t show up until the back half of the season.

FROM 2016....

Ethan Peck is the grandson of classic Hollywood hunk, Gregory Peck, and those genes have served him well. Actor and model, Ethan Peck has a new movie hitting theaters and a recently starred-in a pilot from Lee Daniels!