Review Disney

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
In this web exclusive, documentary filmmaker Abigail Disney ("The Armor of Light") talks to Mo Rocca about some of the perks of being the grand-niece of the legendary Walt Disney - and speaks to one of the legends about the innovative animator.

Doctor Omega

Disney Defends Its Ban Of The L.A. Times

disney-defends-its-ban-of-the-l-a-times-696x464.jpg

One story that got some traction over the weekend was how in the wake of publishing a two-part story about Disney’s impact on the city of Anaheim, the Los Angeles Times has found its critics and reporters banned by the Mouse House from advanced coverage of their movies.

Now, Disney has defended their actions with a statement (via The Wrap) saying the aforementioned Times pieces were ‘biased and inaccurate’ and say the reporting wasn’t fair and balanced:

“We regularly work with news organizations around the world that we don’t always agree with, but in this instance, the L.A. Times showed a complete disregard for basic journalistic standards. Despite our sharing numerous indisputable facts with the reporter, several editors, and the publisher over many months, the Times moved forward with a biased and inaccurate series, wholly driven by a political agenda – so much so that the Orange County Register referred to the report as ‘a hit piece’ with a ‘seemingly predetermined narrative.’ We’ve had a long relationship with the L.A. Times, and we hope they will adhere to balanced reporting in the future.”

It is entirely within Disney’s rights to refuse access to its talent and properties or privileges such as advance screenings. Even so, the move has been dubbed petty by Flavorwire who has written a statement saying: “Thus, for as long as Disney locks out the Los Angeles Times, this outlet will withhold the only thing we have of value to that studio: the free advertising provided by not only reviewing their films, but write-ups of their trailers, production announcements, casting rumors, and so on. We will not cover any Disney releases, nor those of subsidiaries Marvel or Lucasfilm (no, not even that one) as long as the Times ban stands.”

Doctor Omega

Disney Ends Its Ban On The LA Times

disney-ends-its-ban-on-the-la-times-696x464.jpg

Disney Pictures has ended its block of the Los Angeles Times from press screenings of its movies following growing backlash.

Disney said in a statement: “We’ve had productive discussions with the newly installed leadership at The Los Angeles Times regarding our specific concerns, and as a result, we’ve agreed to restore access to advance screenings for their film critics.”

Five critics groups blasted the company’s media blackout of the Los Angeles Times and pledged to disqualify Disney’s films from awards consideration until the blackout is lifted – including the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, the New York Film Critics Circle, the Boston Society of Film Critics, The Toronto Film Critics Association and the National Society of Film Critics.

The New York Times also announced that it would stand in solidarity with the LA Times along with several other outlets.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Like so many others, I grew up with Walt Disney. The films and cartoons have held a very special place in my heart, believe it or not. I still get a kick out of watching Alice in Wonderland, The Jungle Book, Robin Hood, and others. However, as I grew up, and read more about Uncle Walt, I learned what a bastard he was. He screwed Ub Iworks over to see his vision through, and there were many others who were stepped on to create the House of Mouse.

Then you have the annoying business practices, like re-releasing movies on home video, only to place them "back in the vault", so you had limited time to get them if you wanted to enjoy them. Or their continued direct-to-video sequels, which do nothing but sully the original films.

However, I still love their films (I'm still not sold on these live action remakes of their animated films, and am holding off on watching any of them), and they put out some good family-friendly films, and have brought happiness to many. So they have that going for them.

Doctor Omega

FOX & Disney Deal Could Still Happen

fox-disney-deal-could-still-happen-696x464.jpg

Earlier this week came the news that Disney and Fox had been in talks for weeks about the Mouse House potentially buying Fox’s movie and much of its TV assets. Within hours came follow-up reports indicating that though yes there had been talks, they were definitely over and it looked like nothing came of it.

Today comes word from CNBC, who broke the initial report, that the companies have not given up on the idea of combining movie and television production operations and that “pencils aren’t down” yet in terms of the deal taking place.

Though the two companies have not been engaged in further conversations: “it does appear at the very least that they have not abandoned the idea of that combination.” Shares of both companies rose in early trading.

Fox is reportedly still looking to narrow its focus to its most profitable areas, news and sports, but the sale of its film and TV assets would be worth a pretty penny with analysts estimating the deal could cost Disney a cool $20-30 billion.

Doctor Omega

The Two Sides of Walt Disney

Behind his wholesome public persona, Walt Disney had a darker side. This exclusive clip from the PBS special “American Experience: Walt Disney,” airing at 9 p.m. ET on Sept. 14 and 15, takes a look at both sides of the legend.

Doctor Omega

John Lasseter to Exit Disney At Year’s End

lasseter-departs-pixar-in-wake-of-scandal-696x464.jpg

Former Pixar chief John Lasseter will exit his post as chief creative officer of Pixar and Disney Animation. The company announced the news on Friday.

Lasseter was coming to the end of a six month sabbatical following multiple alleged misconduct claims with many wondering what Disney intended to do with him. It has now been revealed he will assume a consulting role at the studio until December 31st at which time he will exit the company.

In an official statement from the studio’s CEO Bob Iger, he says:

“John had a remarkable tenure at Pixar and Disney Animation, reinventing the animation business, taking breathtaking risks, and telling original, high quality stories that will last forever. We are profoundly grateful for his contributions, which included a masterful and remarkable turnaround of The Walt Disney Animation Studios. One of John’s greatest achievements is assembling a team of great storytellers and innovators with the vision and talent to set the standard in animation for generations to come.

Lasseter himself has also contributed to the press release, saying:

“The last six months have provided an opportunity to reflect on my life, career and personal priorities. While I remain dedicated to the art of animation and inspired by the creative talent at Pixar and Disney, I have decided the end of this year is the right time to begin focusing on new creative challenges. I am extremely proud of what two of the most important and prolific animation studios have achieved under my leadership and I’m grateful for all of the opportunities to follow my creative passion at Disney.”

Doctor Omega

Disney’s Streaming Service Is ‘Disney Play’?

disney-streaming-service-is-disney-play.jpg

Finally it looks as if Disney’s long in the works direct-to-consumer streaming service may have a name – Disney Play.

That’s the name that Disney CEO Bob Iger has reportedly been using around the office to call the service according to a new feature piece in Variety. Said feature explores how the various studios are both trying to catch up to Netflix and prepare for the likes of Apple and Google potentially entering the SVOD market with their own services in coming years.

Disney is the most prepared for it with their own branded streaming service already on a timetable to launch next year, Iger having indicated that the service is: “the biggest priority of the company during calendar [year] 2019.” Iger also confirmed that Disney Play’s subscription price will be less than Netflix’s lower subscription tiers. Those hover around the $8-14 per month mark.

The reason for the cheaper price point is that Disney isn’t going for the mass volume game like Netflix is, rather it’s targeting a more curated selection with its own programming (and Fox titles as well). Iger says: “We have the luxury of programming this product with programs from those brands or derived from those brands, which obviously creates a demand and gives us the ability to not necessarily be in the volume game, but to be in the quality game.”

Disney will reportedly also be losing $300 million in revenue they received from Netflix for the exclusive streaming rights to a whole bunch of their titles (including the MCU films), and one analyst in the piece suggests the company will need to have around 40 million subscribers paying at least $6 a month to break even on the creation of Disney Play.

Doctor Omega

Lost Disney 'Oswald' film found in Japan

_104356639_sleigh-bell.jpg

One of Walt Disney's earliest films has been discovered in Japan.

An anime historian had the cartoon for 70 years before he realised it was one of seven lost films.

The two-minute short features Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, a precursor to Mickey Mouse.

Yasushi Watanabe, 84, bought the film from a toy wholesaler in Osaka when he was a teenager, paying only ¥500 (£3.45 at current exchange rates).

Originally called Neck & Neck, the 16mm cartoon was tagged with the name Mickey Manga Spide (Mickey Cartoon Speedy), and remained in Mr Watanabe's personal collection for 70 years.

The significance of the film only became apparent when he read the book, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit: The Search for the Lost Disney Cartoons, written by long-term Disney animator David Bossert and published last year.

"As I've been a Disney fan for many years, I'm happy that I was able to play a role," he told the Asahi Shimbun newspaper, which confirmed with the Walt Disney Archive that the cartoon was one of a handful of lost Oswald films.

Image copyrightBFI/WALT DISNEY ANIMATION STUDIO
Image captionAnother missing Oswald film, Sleigh Bells, was found in the BFI archives in 2015

Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks created Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in 1927, and it was Disney Studios' first character to have its own series.

A total of 27 cartoons were made, but the anthropomorphic rabbit became the centre an intellectual property dispute, with Universal Studios wrestling the rights to the character in 1928.

In response, Disney began work on a new lead character: one that would eventually be known as Mickey Mouse. As for Oswald, it was left in animation purgatory until Disney CEO Bob Iger bought back the rights in 2006.

"What's particularly good about this story is that it shows the spread of these films across the globe," Jez Stewart, the BFI's animation curator told the BBC.

"How the films propagated across the world and where they end up is almost as interesting as the film itself."

In 2015, another lost animation featuring Oswald was found in the BFI's archives.

Stewart says these discoveries are important, but only part of the picture when it comes to early animation. At the same time as Oswald was being made in the US, for example, Bonzo the dog was having surreal adventures on UK screens.

"I think it's a shame that it sometimes takes a lost film to be found to draw attention to the films that are there."