Review Doctor Strange (2016)

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Meh. It was an okay origin story but nothing special. A giant spacey type being with flashing lights wants to suck buildings and cars up into itself for some reason (don't they always) and there's a bad guy who's totally gonna help it. Yawn.

If Spider-Mans appearance in Civil War taught us anything, it surely taught us that we don't need the origin story. Just get on with it already (even if it's a somewhat obscure character) and please stop with the giant spacey type beings who want to suck bridges and houses up (are Earth structures super delicious or something?).

Wasn't bowled over by Cumbersomebatch's American accent either.

5.5/10

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
We will all have to agree to disagree, because I loved that movie. I thought it was nearly on par with CIVIL WAR and DEADPOOL (and leagues ahead of the two DC movies last year). While I am sick of origin stories, Strange is a character that most outside of the nerd culture don't really know much about, so I liked how they did his story. Great effects, great acting, and I'm a sucker for anything Cumerbatch does.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
I'm right there with you in the "loved it" comfy chair for Doc. Strange chainsaw! Haven't seen Civil War because, having read all the Iron Man's (through the late 80s) I found it impossible to buy into the notion that Tony Stark would be in favor of "oversight" of any kind. Capt. Am. yes. But TS was never a character who let anyone tell him what to do nor would he be interested in the opinion of anyone who thought they could or should tell him how or when to suit up. He quit the Avengers on more than one occasion for that very reason and I'm not even going to get into the times he climbed into the bottom of a bottle rather than face a truth of any kind that was unpleasant for him.

Deadpool didn't ring any bells for me but I don't have any attachment to the character himself so I wasn't expecting it to.

As for "origin" movies.... I think that if JF hadn't helmed the original IM the Marvel franchise itself might not be nearly as successful as it is. But, as with everything else, that's just one gal's opinion. That series (Iron Man) beyond the first one didn't really work for me either until Joss did The Avengers.

But I will say that I think Doc. Strange will bring in a whole new type of fan group given that there are a whole lot of Urban Fiction readers out there who will love it because it represents a very popular reading genre and one that isn't really being addressed by Hollywood as much as the whole Superhero thing. But I too thought BC was fabulous in it. It's also got Chewetal Eijefor (pardon the spelling) in it and that guy is a powerhouse of talent. So I'm looking forward to more.

As for DC... I'm really looking forward to Aquaman as I think it's got tremendous potential if it's handled properly.... and I'm really hoping it will be.

:emoji_hugging: :emoji_information_desk_person: :emoji_ok_woman:

Tars Tarkas

Member: Rank 1
Janine, you should give Civil War a try, it really is a good movie. Both in the comic and movie story lines they gave Tony some pretty good reasons to side with the government and for Cap to not.

That's actually one of the best things about the Civil War story line, both Cap and Tony are right, but for different reasons.

As for Doctor Strange, I have always been a huge fan of his comics, so I am really glad they put out a really good movie for him.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
I stumped up my money for Doctor Strange based on pure curiosity after reading about the casting fuss-up featuring Ms Swinton. Why not have a Scottish guru channelling a not-allowed Tibetan guru teaching an English actor pretending to be a Yank?
Did it occur to anyone else that her aside, it'd have been a poor showing for the ladies - one dreary ex-girlfriend and some background nurses was all I spotted. Might otherwise have admitted that, yes, Marvel is really for the boys...

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Carol Danvers was my absolute favorite character in the Marvelverse !!!!! I can't wait to see her on the screen. She's the "Honey West", Emma Peele, Vanessa Ives of the comic book world for me and I hated that they stopped giving her her own book! Her short stint with The Avengers was also one of my favorites so I'm really hoping that she'll get her own series now that RDJ has pretty much had enough of being Tony Stark... although he nailed the character to the wall in every way possible and then some. Her personal story and her battles are definitely strong enough to stand on their own and she's so little known by most of the population (she goes back so far that many haven't even heard of her) that there shouldn't be much grouching about any story of hers they decide to tell. She really is the kick-ass female the studio needs since Wanda doesn't (in my mind) seem to be as powerful a woman in the movies as she was in the books.

I'm also looking forward to Evangeline Lilly as Janet VanDyne/The Wasp.... the woman who actually founded The Avengers and served as their leader throughout most of the early storylines and member changes. Hank Pym was just a tragic "what/who do I want to be" whiny member (as I saw it) whose best feature was his tough-as-nails, brilliant wife!

The Marvelverse was absolutely loaded with incredible female characters and Jack and Stan never shied away from making them just as interesting and just as powerful as their male counterparts! You've got a lot to look forward to Carol! In the "olden days" they were working the women's equal rights thing just as hard (if not harder) as Gloria Steinem! I've been part of any number of conversations over the years supporting the theory that The Invisible Girl of the FF was actually the most powerful member of the team and it was an argument started by friends who were male and who were unequivocal in that conviction. One I happen to share and one that was clearly never represented in any of the movies. I have always thought that Jessica Alba was a mistake in casting because Sue only stood about 5' tall and probably only weighed 99 lbs. in costume, soaking wet. She was absolutely "tiny" but "fierce" (see Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden novels for the origin of the "I like her; she's tiny but she's fierce" moniker)!

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
A she-captain?
Honest, Hux, just asking for information here as that's not a comic I've ever read - will this be exciting for people looking out for more female-super-heroes? The market is not saturated.
See my reply to Hux regarding Marvel's female characters Carol.... The Marvelverse is loaded with strong, independent women who are/were just as tough as any of the men. And Carol Danvers is nothing like Capt. America beyond being willing to fight the good fight and that woman could kick serious ass!

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Janine, you should give Civil War a try, it really is a good movie. Both in the comic and movie story lines they gave Tony some pretty good reasons to side with the government and for Cap to not.

That's actually one of the best things about the Civil War story line, both Cap and Tony are right, but for different reasons.

As for Doctor Strange, I have always been a huge fan of his comics, so I am really glad they put out a really good movie for him.
Given that I worship at the alter of Joss Whedon Tars... I know that I should watch it but I have this ridiculous love for The Avengers that makes the idea of them at war with each other almost impossible for me to manage.... I am such a wuss when it comes to them that it's almost beyond pathetic!

:emoji_cry: :emoji_astonished: :emoji_hugging:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
No Plans Yet For “Doctor Strange 2”

no-plans-yet-for-doctor-strange-2-696x464.jpg

Actor Benedict Cumberbatch has confirmed that he’s not sure when a sequel to his standalone Marvel film “Doctor Strange” is going forward.

The first film opened late 2016 and made $677 million worldwide from a production budget of $165 million. A sequel, therefore, seemed possible. However it was obviously going to be a while off – especially considering the character appeared in last year’s “Thor Ragnarok” and is all set to be a big part of the upcoming two “Avengers” films.

Asked when he would get another full-on “Doctor Strange” film, Cumberbatch told EW: “Not at the moment, no. The masterplan is continually in flux, so it would be out of order for me to speculate.”

Marvel has been cautious about revealing what will happen with the MCU after the fourth “Avengers” is released next year with only “Spider-Man Homecoming 2” and “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” confirmed at this point, though a “Black Panther 2” seems a certainty.