Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
doctor_who_drs___enemies_by_caldwellart-d31uhel.jpg

What are your views on the monsters and villains over the years?

Were they scarier back then?

Or are the New Who monsters - and altered versions of the classic monsters - better?

And are these fellas still the kings?

doctor_who_anime___dalek_ship_by_mightyotaking.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

00.jpg

Thoughts on these two movies?

And how the heck does one fit them into canon?

At least Roberta Tovey got a chart-topping classic out of it....

Errmm. It did chart, didn't it?

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

The Power of the Daleks

Well, I finally got to see Power of the Daleks on blu-ray, opting for the colour version, which I feel, hid a multitude of the animation's sins, helping to disguise the jerkiness of movement of a lot of it, although the Dalek animations and movements are superb.

It is good that we finally are able to "watch" Troughton's debut and be able to put it on our shelves at long last. It doesn't matter to me quite so much now that they should find the actual film cans themselves and that's all thanks to this release.

It is a shame that they had to rush the animation though, resulting in some substandard animation throughout.

Hopefully the next release will not have some oppressive deadline hanging over it and we can get to see a superb recreation of another lost adventure.

Troughton is great in it from the get go, finding his way and deliberately taking it too far performance wise, in order to reel it back in as further stories came along.

Which brings me to Troughton himself. He is now, without doubt, my favourite Doctor of all.

If I had to compare him to anybody, it would be Columbo. Nobody takes him seriously, but he is, in fact, the brightest person in the room and is plotting and scheming silently to defeat the bad guys. while they disregard him as a threat, owing to his shambolic appearance and his pretending to be dimmer than he is.

Here's to more lost treasures returning to the archives, either as animations or vinegar stained cans!

Doctor Omega

One doesn't fit them into canon i.m.o. - although it is fun to try of course.

They occupy that same nethersphere as TV Comic and the annuals. The strange adventures of a strange version of the Doctor.

These films were often repeated as filler on a Saturday morning in the seventies.

Seeing the black and White Hartnell story of the Daleks did not disappoint as an alternative version of the movie.

The black and white Hartnell of Dalek Invasion of the Earth certainly did disappoint visually in comparison to the second movie.

And Cushing's Doctor reappeared in AT THE EARTH'S CORE - in all but name!

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
It's been years since I have seen them, but I remember them being entertaining. But I was younger, and I kept balking at everything that had been changed from the original source material. I understand now why they did it, but as a kid, it frustrated me.

And let's face it. The film version didn't have anything as powerful as this scene.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
It's very easy to fit them into canon. They were made by a time traveller from the future who'd met the Doctor during the Dalek invasion and been told the story of the Doctor's first meeting with them. Unfortunately his memory was a bit scrambled by the time travel so there were some differences to the official documentary versions that we know and love.

Doctor Omega

I still wish they would find the original though. Preferably episode one.

Despite all the odds, the hope never quite dies!

Doctor Omega

Your thoughts and views on this largely lost Troughton classic from 1967, which is a popular contender for animation...

Doctor Omega

Your views and thoughts on this, the final story for the William Hartnell Doctor and featuring the first ever appearance of the dreaded Cybermen...

And what of all the behind the scenes politics as well....?

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Sadly, when found in Hong Kong, this recovered story could never hope to live up to the Target Book Novelisation that I had read in my youth, where the tombs were really made of ice and the Cybermen looked more like the Invasion Cybermen and spoke EVERYTHING IN CAPITAL LETTERS!

The Mister Punch voices of the tv version, that kirby wire and the empty cybercontroller's costume and the innefectual cybermat clockwork toys just couldn't compete.

I am still glad that they found it. But it is a shame. though sadly inevitable, I guess, that it did not turn out to be the all-conquering classic of legend.

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Having not read the novelization, I enjoyed the episode. Troughton was such a great incarnation of The Doctor, and his relationship with Jamie is one of the best Doctor/companion relationships ever. I also like the exchange between The Doctor and Victoria about him remembering his family. The first real mentions of his life before he became a cosmic wanderer.

Doctor Omega

What are your thoughts and views on this cosmic runaround from the Hartnell era?

And would it have worked as a third Peter Cushing Dalek movie as was originally planned?

Doctor Omega

A fun romp. I could have seen it working as a third Dalek movie too, although I can imagine that Terry Nation had that in mind when he concocted this tale.

Sadly the box office failure of the second Dalek movie robbed us of Peter Cushing on the planet Mechanus!

Or meeting Dracula and the Frankenstein Monster on film too!

It does make me wonder if Terry Nation, knowing that this would form the basis for the third Dalek movie - and knowing that Peter Cushing would play the Doctor - deliberately included the Dracula/Frankenstein scene as an in joke and nod to Hammer and Cushing's previous movies, fully aware that it would cause Cushing to be reunited in a Dalek movie with those two monsters?

Just a thought.

Last edited:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
One of the classic cases of a story concept exceeding the budget and special effects capabilities of the time. It's a great story but the episodes will never live up to what I saw when reading the novelisation.