Review The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
0.jpg

Your thoughts on this story.....

On the planet of Ranskoor Av Kolos, lies the remains of a brutal battlefield. But as the Doctor, Graham, Yaz and Ryan answer nine separate distress calls, they discover the planet holds far more secrets. Who is the mysterious commander with no memory? What lies beyond the mists? Who or what are the Ux? The answers will lead the Doctor and her friends towards a deadly reckoning.

On to the next episode.....

RESOLUTION.....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/series-11-new-year-special.4559/

Back to the previous episode....

IT TAKES YOU AWAY.........

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/doctor-who-it-takes-you-away-episode-9.5259/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos

'On the planet of Ranskoor Av Kolos, lies the remains of a brutal battlefield. But as the Doctor, Graham, Yaz and Ryan answer nine separate distress calls, they discover the planet holds far more secrets. Who is the mysterious commander with no memory? What lies beyond the mists? Who or what are the Ux? The answers will lead the Doctor and her friends towards a deadly reckoning.'

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Stuck in a quarry somewhere near Sheffield, The Doctor, Graham, Yaz and Ryan must battle inclement weather and overacting in an effort to win a BAFTA. Will The Doctor ever regain the trust of the TARDIS? WIll Ryan ever give Graham a fist bump? Will Graham - no, not the guy from Red Dragon - ever get to sit down and enjoy a meal? Will Yaz actually keep her job, as she's been gone for months? Actually, she's a cop, and no one else on the Force has started to question where the hell she has been? I mean, Rose Tyler was just a shop worker, and there was a murder investigation going on for her disappearance. Mickey was a suspect. I mean, sure, he was here boyfriend, but I think it was because he was black. Maybe that's it, the other cops don't care if she's missing because she's a woman of color. Maybe we should write that into the script. People like that sort of thing, don't they? And Ryan, too. In fact, we'll say that folks just assumed they were kidnapped by the old white guy. I think we got offtrack a bit. Where were we? Another bloody quarry? When can we stop filming in these damned places? They're cold, and damp, and you get all sorts of shit stuck to your shoes. And since the Beeb is so cheap, we only have one set of shoes for the costumes. Anyway, tune in, for Doctor Who and Another Bloody Quarry...

chainsaw_metal1

All jokes aside, I really enjoyed this episode. There are a few comments out there about how people were upset that it wasn't an overblown series finale, but that's what I loved. Hell, The Doctor even references towing the Earth with the TARDIS, as though to say "sure, this isn't an extravaganza, but that's okay because it's a solid story". Chibs gives us some pretty good writing in this one, bringing Tzim Sha back, who is looking for revenge for her actions. My only real gripe is that they got a guest star as good as Mark Addy and they really don't utilize him. Honestly, any character actor would have done, but still, it was nice to see him. Graham...oh Graham. This series had an arc, and that was dedicated to this man. He is absolutely brilliant.

And I would like to show my appreciation to johnnybear for not watching any of this series so we don't have to listen to him bitch and belly ache about his dislike.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
I didn’t think we’d see Tzim Sha again, but here he is. You know, the Doctor really screws up taking the high road and the show never calls her out on it. She’d rather let giant spiders suffocate to death then give them a quick death by gun. She’s uncompromisingly anti-gun, no matter what. If she’d killed Tzim Sha in the first episode, she could have prevented a mass genocide. And she was out of line with Graham, imo. Who could blame him for wanting to kill that asshole? Threatening to banish him from the TARDIS is harsh and uncalled for. Luckily he changes his mind, but trapping Tzim Sha permanently in one of those chambers is as good as death.

I love Graham, like always, but I think Ryan had a good character arc. I’m so happy he finally accepted Graham. If these three companions stay with the series (and I hope they do) we can expect to see their relationship grow even more.

Davies was an ardent atheist and didn’t miss an opportunity to (subtly) bash religion, but Chibnall didn’t do that here. (Not that I would have minded if he did.) But there’s something to be said for not believing uncritically, so let’s hope the Ux learned their lesson. I would have liked to see a little more of them and have their faith in Tzim Sha explained though.

chainsaw_metal1

She’d rather let giant spiders suffocate to death then give them a quick death by gun.
In her defense, they are spiders. If it were me, I would cleanse the area with nuclear fire, but that's just me. If they suffer, all the better.
She’s uncompromisingly anti-gun, no matter what.
I grew up hunting and using guns, and now I'm also pretty much anti-gun. So for me, that doesn't bother me so much. If I need to see the Doctor use one, I'll go back and watch Colin Baker shoot Cybermen.
I love Graham, like always, but I think Ryan had a good character arc. I’m so happy he finally accepted Graham. If these three companions stay with the series (and I hope they do) we can expect to see their relationship grow even more.
Oh, Ryan did. Absolutely. He and Graham definitely grew. I'd like to see more done with Yaz this next series in that aspect.

Doctor Omega

Episode 10 | Access All Areas | Doctor Who

Join Yinka Bokinni for our final round-up of all the best backstage action of the week. We ask Mandip and Tosin how they feel at the end of the series, talk to Bradley Walsh's driver and take a closer look at the finale.